storage cradle

Romany

Does anybody know where I could lease/rent/borrow or steal a cradle for a Townson 36? Fin keel (approx 1.2 long at the foot and fat, approx 10' beam , I think we weigh about 7 tonnes. Its time to give her a bit of a tart up which could take 3 or 4 months.

I want to cover her so probably going to shrink wrap or build a house over the whole thing so I can let everything dry out thoroughly.

Please call me on 021 571 017.

I've got a real nice ex Harbour Board cradle from Okahu bay. My boat will be off it in a couple of months if you can wait that long. After that you can have it as long as you want.

WT - thats damn generous, and I'd be stupid not to accept. Can you call me sometime soon to discuss? 09-428-0515 or mobile as per my first message.

I am hoping to haul out at Stillwater so hopefully the cradle can be dismantled for transporting.

when do you think you would be needing it?

I have a mint cradle in stillwater all setup right by the hard stand which fits my Marauder but was planning to haul my boat out some time over winter for a bottom job.

They have cradles for hire up there thou dont they?

Talk to one of the guys there im sure they will be able to find something for you.

Thanks Booboo - We have only just moved into the area and only just getting head out of the house, so I'll go down to the club next week and ask. I could start now , but I know because its winter the paint will take longer than I think so I need to be cautious about time limits. WTs offer is perfect for obvious reasons, plus it gives my recently busted wrist a bit more time to mend some more before I start the scrape and sand -a -thon. I currently have the old style of skid resistant finish (resin bonded cork granules painted over about a gazillion times) and it is a bastard to get rid off.

Yeah it bolts together and i've transported it a couple of times before. It's massivly heavy though, you don't want to move it to often! Just do-able with two people.

Thanks Booboo - We have only just moved into the area and only just getting head out of the house, so I'll go down to the club next week and ask. I could start now , but I know because its winter the paint will take longer than I think so I need to be cautious about time limits. WTs offer is perfect for obvious reasons, plus it gives my recently busted wrist a bit more time to mend some more before I start the scrape and sand -a -thon. I currently have the old style of skid resistant finish (resin bonded cork granules painted over about a gazillion times) and it is a bastard to get rid off.

Hirepool power planer.... 100% the way to go. I've taken lino off concrete with one of those before.... Just like mowing the lawns!

I've taken lino off concrete with one of those before.... Just like mowing the lawns!

:D :D I bet you didnt tell them that when you hired it.

You should see what i did with one of their chain-saws

yep the $30 ones dont cut the mustard. i was using a cheapo on solid fiber glass and it shat itself all at the same time... belt and drives and the bolts holding the blades in stripped out. needs to be a hire one.

I was gonna attack it with a diamond grinder which will turn the hull and cabin into a 36' long speaker! I reckon I'll own the loudest Townson known to man - even compared to a piedy.

The hire planers are the tits. They go through nail heads like butter and if you miss-judge the cut depth and hit something real hard it just stops dead. Then you whip the blades out, flick them over and have another go....

As for hire trailers.... You're doing well to overload one of them! :thumbup: I never forget the look of the TOG guys when we dumped Wild Thing, cradle and all on one and drove out the gate at Gulf Harbour. Man, that was the dodgiest 300m i've ever driven.... Speed bumps and all!

I'll never forget the look of Glee when I said to a Hough driver to throw another bucket of metal onto a hire trailor. He dumped it from full height! :D

It's the only time I've locked all 4 wheels up in an SUV on dry Tarmac with the brakes.

Archived