Simrad

The multi guys and the SR 26's are alredy talking about this one, and since there is a possibility I might actually get some sailing in this year, can someone please give a concise summary in plain english of the seemingly numerous courses /options/ classes to help decide what to enter?

I had a look on the SSANZ website and they had the dates, which is good, but didn't answer this one. Probably seems elementary if you've done it before, but some of us haven't.

I was meaning we'd have to tie 6 arms behind your back

***NERD ALERT***

Actually .... squid have 10 tentacles, so that'd be tying 8 behind the back. Octopus have 8, squid have 10.

As you were.

From WIkipedia

Squid, like cuttlefish, have eight arms arranged in pairs and two, usually longer, tentacles.

I was meaning we'd have to tie 6 arms behind your back

***NERD ALERT***

Actually .... squid have 10 tentacles, so that'd be tying 8 behind the back. Octopus have 8, squid have 10.

As you were.

Not quite actually; technically squids have 10 appendages - 2 tentacles and 8 arms.

(edit: damn - squid beat me to it. Must be all those arms :P )

The NOR will be out mid May.

I can tell you that there will be a few changes, startline , courses etc.

Be patient.

Mid May!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be the only excitement in my life for the entire winter.

OK I'll wait.

In the meantime, what about divisions, how are they split? and I assume it's PHRF.

This is going to be the only excitement in my life for the entire winter.

Is this finally an admission from the tropical near north that the Weiti winter series isn't exciting?

Not quite actually; technically squids have 10 appendages - 2 tentacles and 8 arms.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the pedantics of cephalopod anatomical nomenclature aside, the number of appendages was originally underestimated by 20%.

Sheeesh, everyone's an expert as long as they've got Google :wink: :D

Oh, and by the way Squid, I wouldn't let Angela hear you say you've got a bit of a thing for a cuttlefish. You know how touchy women can get about that sort of thing. :wink:

Basically Squid, to give you a quick rundown- there are 3 courses/course lengths.

The shortest is the small boats which is a long island course but stays in close semi sheltered waters, this is for the piedys, 727s, under 26ft club, trackers, reactors…. and until a few years back the SR26s, I think these are around 20-40nm

Then there is the shorthaul course, for boats from SR26 through to the bigger hanse 40s ect in the cruising division. There are divisions within this with a sports style boat division (SR26, Ross930, ross 850 ect) and then Y88s, 1020s, farr 9.2. these courses range from 40-80nm

Then long haul, this is for the bigger boats normally, and they race out to channel island and flat rock I think around 50-150nm(?)

The first race is the shortest and the last race the longest.

I hope this helps a bit, I cant remember the divisional PHRF splits.

Firstly...

The NOR will be out mid May.

I can tell you that there will be a few changes, startline , courses etc.

Be patient.

Is probably wishful thinking... My target is to have it printed and in the post before the end of May (hopefully online a little earlier)

As for what to expect... use the following link to last years event and read the SI's... some details will change but in essence we will stick to a proven formula

http://www.ssanz.co.nz/events/index.html?id=57

Expect some changes in

Courses (reversed directions and slight tweeks from last year)

Startline (a fairer line in more open water)

Entry close off dates (enter early and you won't have a issue)

Entry fees (best to commit and do the whole series)

Thanks guys that's what I was looking for. Off to have a read now.

No the winter series up here is fine, but I can't do Sundays or I wouldn't make any money for the winter. Simrad actually fits perfectly for me, Saturdays 3 times over three months, two handed, longer courses, plus I seldom get reports from off the water as they are too busy so don't have to be glued to a computer.

We're off for a practice sail sometime this week to check out the boat and systems, compatability and all that stuff.

We're off for a practice sail sometime this week to check out the boat and systems, compatability and all that stuff.

Boat should be screaming along given the great job done by BoatSpray :silent:

Oh gawd.... that comment = a potential worry :?

Oh gawd.... that comment = a potential worry :?

Please explain??

Basically Squid, to give you a quick rundown- there are 3 courses/course lengths.

The shortest is the small boats which is a long island course but stays in close semi sheltered waters, this is for the piedys, 727s, under 26ft club, trackers, reactors…. and until a few years back the SR26s, I think these are around 20-40nm

Then there is the shorthaul course, for boats from SR26 through to the bigger hanse 40s ect in the cruising division. There are divisions within this with a sports style boat division (SR26, Ross930, ross 850 ect) and then Y88s, 1020s, farr 9.2. these courses range from 40-80nm

Then long haul, this is for the bigger boats normally, and they race out to channel island and flat rock I think around 50-150nm(?)

The first race is the shortest and the last race the longest.

I hope this helps a bit, I cant remember the divisional PHRF splits.

Well I'm going to Take Smokey Joe out for a run this year.... Pity the 727 division can't be broadened out to a 1/4 ton division. (awaits abuse)

The racing in March was excellent.....and based on some of the longer hauls- Speed variances were minimal.

Archived