Cavalier 26

Hi, first post on the site. I just bought a Cavalier 26 and am looking for some more information on the stern gland set up, how grease is added etc. I am also interested in finding out more about who built her and where. Her name is Scorpius and sail no is K3662. Thanks.

Hi, welcome to Crew.org, you've come to the right place! Personally I can't asnwer you question on the Cav but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help.

Cheers

Hi and welcome,

Your Cav was built by Cavalier Yachts, a bit of history about the company here http://www.cav36.com/History.html.

The Cav26 was designed by Doug Peterson (as was the 30 and 36) an American designer.

Pretty sure it was origonally designed to rate as a quarter tonner so you could probably have some fun with the 26 ft club (see the quarter tonner thread also).

A have a scan of the cavalier yachts manual on disc somewhere so PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

What's with the K prefix on some lots of sail numbers I see locally? In international designation 'K' used to be short for 'UK', and I thought kiwi boats were 'NZL'?

This is Yachting NZ's system.

K = Keeler

M = Multihull

T = Trailer sailer

If you search for a number, sometimes you will find both a K & T answer.

Yes "K" was for United "K"ingdom in the old country identification system with KZ for New Zealand.

Then there was the decline in the British Empire, joining EEC and ISAF getting a louder voice and more recently, adopting the 3 letter country codes. See details in the RRS book & ISAF sites.

Hey there Great boats i use to own "jellybean" for 3years. The are a really under rated boat they wont plane and we tried 9.2knots top speed but will take out ravens reactors trackers just get some weight on the rail cos they are no where near as stiff as the others. You would have a ball with upto26 i always wanted to sail with them but i live in Mana.

To get the best out of them folding prop is a total must, 5, 6 crew on the breezy days and strap the kite rite down

For the stern gland I got the brass top tapped and put a grease gun with a hose connection system on it and ran that to the front of the engine to save having to climb down the back all the time!

hope this helps

2994_91971517462_572117462_2473189_4952374_n.jpg

2994_91971532462_572117462_2473190_4828997_n.jpg

how come my cav26 is 3/4 rig instead of masthead?was Heavens above" now 'veronica may"

it's most probably faster than a mast head you might get 9.9 knots out of it now , they appear to be a great little cruising boat now , were sadly outdated for the 1/4 ton circuit on launch date however they have kept their looks better than most . :wink: hasn't anyone told you it's bad luck to change the name of ya boat :thumbup:

after a sad end to

'veronica may"i have now purchased a 2nd cav 26,"ORINOCCO"appears to be well set up,has the original owners manual,sailing for dummies,when to reef what and when to use what sails,how to wax teak interior.care of gelcoat etc,must sit down and a have read/laugh.even explains how to set retrieve spinnaker.

this one seems to be a bit more tender.

took orinoco away for 3 days.day1 at anchor bilge full of water?easy fix motor strainer lid was loose,tighten no more leaks,good,day 2 holding tank would not empty,bad,found bits of paper/liquid running out of vent down deck,not so easy fix at sea,but managed to run directly to outlet so tank is now installed for show.great run from rakino down to hooks bay sw 15/20 avg 5.8 hit 8.2 with handheld gps on full main poled out no.2,day 3 back to tamiki river 15/18 sw no.2 and 1 reef in main on wind avg 5.2.very impressed as not new sails boat was dry and family did not moan,so must be good.

Archived