A possible do'er upper.

wheels

Every now and then I come across a boat that I think has some potential. I am pretty sure this is a Samson Hull out of Cananda, but I could be wrong also.

It's sad to see something like this being let to go to waste. The repair work I imagine would be possibly one of greater than the story told, so someone would need to go into it with the view it's going to be some work. And if it hasn't been out of the water for 5yrs, it's going to need some gear below waterline as well. So in all honesty, I think someone would be buying the Hull only with anything else workable, being a bonus. And so I also think 30K is a little on the steep side, but that is jut my personal opinion. these boats sailed well and sailed all over the world. So for someone with a dream, Little money but heaps of skills and time, this could become a winner.

One major word of caution though, it would be completely unlikely that insurance could ever be saught for this boat. It is hard enough when they are in great condition.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 819797.htm

At some point in the past, that was reasonably finished.

Looks like a biohazard zone now though.

Liveaboard at best I'd say.

Huge time and money to get useable again, when in the US perfectly good yachts are being abandoned in the swamps.

Are we looking at fire damage along the top edge of this shot or is it...something else I can't figure out. :?

Either way someone is going to wake up screaming as a result of having viewed this listing.

168630593_full.jpg

Looks like lots of work. Trouble with this type of do up is that it costs similar $$ to do all the work of a boat like this as it would be to do up a glass / steel or timber boat. Mast, rigging, motor, electrics, fitout all cost the same. Would be easier to overcapitalise on a ferro boat than the others. Guessing you would be better buying a ferro boat in good nick than trying to do one up this size from scratch.

There was a 50ft glass hull (stink pot) sitting in the shed next to where I did the refit on my boat. Was sold for $500 over and over again, as each person realised what the costs would be to get it into the water. The hull is only a small part of the total cost.

For this to be economical I reckon the owner would almost need to pay you to take it off his hands - not saying that is what it is worth, but just purely from an economical point of view.

Guest Brucey

Completly right ab.

Ferro has some inherant drawbacks in a marine envioroment I suggest. Has any one even built a fero boat this centuary?

I doubt it is worth the cost of a "lift out".

Crushed it would only be worth a coupla hundred as hard fill!!

The only drawback with Ferro is that they can't be insured easily or at all and thus they don't reflect a good resale price. They will still cost you the same as any other material to biuld. The biggest thing to watch with a FC boat is that they are often built as a Cheap means to get a boat and often the fitout is just as cheap. So to get a good one, you have to look around. It looks like that particular one was biult professionaly, which if it is indeed a Samson, they were. But yeah, she maybe a goner I suspect.

So it probably has no value as a do'er upper, its only value would be in what gear you could rip out of it before scuttling it ............. Or patch job and use as a liveaboard (but would still want to get it for nix)

Guest Brucey

I dont know sqat about floating footpaths but as fero is essentially a porous substance it doesnt make much sense to me.

I am sure there are sealant systems and proceedures now which improve the situation markedly and better types of cement etc but are there any 40 year old fero's afloat worth sh*t? If and when moisture which is salt saturated makes its way in and through the concrete, the steel which is the structural strenght starts to deteriate.

The labour and bits inside are the bulk of cost of any boat, so its hard to see why you would save a small percentage in the structure which needs to keep you safe. At least with rotting wood or shitty old vinyl ester glass you can see the deteriation and do something?

Once saw a fero long keel which slipped out of the slings at HMB about 4-6 ft back into the water. It fractured and popped a section off the steel about 30cm round and sunk right there..

Those plastic Wakas sound good though!!!

No Bruecy, the cement used in FC hulls doesn't work that way. You don't need to seal it and water does not seep into it. That is assuming the correct cement and sand was used at time of biuld. An additive called Polain used to be used, but it was found it added little need for waterproofing. You have to remember that ferrocement is not the same as concrete. It's chalk and cheese really.

A good rule of thumb is, if said vessel was built by 1 person and you can find many visual faults, there will be just as many that you can't see.

I recall looking at a herreshoff designed yacht. the hull itself looked good but the decks etc were f#*d, turns out the owner bought the hull and finished it

Guest Brucey
No Bruecy, the cement used in FC hulls doesn't work that way. You don't need to seal it and water does not seep into it. That is assuming the correct cement and sand was used at time of biuld. An additive called Polain used to be used, but it was found it added little need for waterproofing. You have to remember that ferrocement is not the same as concrete. It's chalk and cheese really.

Im sure its not your average garden path but with the envioronmet it is in, with the continual water pressure forcing salt into any minor capillary..... I wouldnt go to sea in one. When were the first fero boats built. Are there any 40 year survivours? let alone 100+ as in wood.

The point is while I am sure there are some great deals out there for buying these boats, the performance and safety drawbacks must make it a very tough decision to get involved.

Can you get Cat1 in Fero? Insurance is the probly same as for the gunho multi brigade I guess, just too high risk for the insurers to touch.

Probably would win on IRC though!! Anyone ever got a IRC number for one, just the type of boat they like over there.

When were the first fero boats built. Are there any 40 year survivours?

Mate you need to do some reading about FC. First off, they are the oldest operating hulls in the world. The oldest known was biult in the very early 1800's and was still in commercial operation not that long ago. It is now in a museum for that fact.

FC works by reverse Osmossis. Salt can not get in to the Hull. The cement plaster is really a filler and fairing medium. Internally there is a very dense steel armature. The strength comes from the unique ability to take stress and send it around the structure. If you ever get the chance to lay into one with a sledge hammer, you simply have the hammer bounce off it. It is increadibly strong. I was sold on FC when I saw a photo of a Hull that had been washed up on a reef in the Pacific Islands. It had sat there for many years stillintacked. Rather ruff looking, but it survived several Cyclones. Anything else would be well and truely gone. Its the easiest and cheapest material to fix.

We slammed into a Rock reef at 7knts and we crumbled a little cement off the front edge of the keel and a little Epoxy Mortar and it was all fixed.

Guest Brucey

No JK it's the spatula to do the constant running repairs as bits flake off.

Wheels you are a braver man than I. And the footpath on the reef, guess that's the advantage of a structure which doesn't float and get washed around by the waves, and it just turns back to sand eventually, very ecologically friendly.

So can you get Cat 1 in Ferro?

The scary part is when you say "if it was built with the correct sand", shouldn't alarm bells be ringing right there??? There are more floating foot paths built by diy than other type of construction because it's cheap and easy for average unskilled boatbuilder jo to build. For me again that = more alarm bells! but each to their own if it meant that someone got out on the water then sweet, but trying to ask 30k for a dead boat is not living in the real world.

Archived