Suspected pirates given fuel and food

rigger

Crusoe and Rigger are getting 10000 inch flat screens? How cool is that the lucky bastards :thumbup:

You do have to admire STS's logic in the last post. It is quite novel and yet full of some very good points. Never quite thought of pirates as environmental worriers. Just think of the extra coin they will reap in selling their carbon credits after each hijack :lol:

I do agree with STS yet also with Rigger and that team. I can fully understand why they are doing it, or at least started doing it and don't really have any issues with that, good on them for thinking outside the square so to speak. But now I think it's been taken beyond pure survival to just reaping in the coin in many cases. But yet again, Rigger is completely right in saying 2 wrongs don't make a right and it does need to be stopped.

Throwing in Navies won't work but I don't know what will. I think too many have tasted the high life with masses of dosh and just won't go back to subsistence fishing now.

Crusoe and Rigger are getting 10000 inch flat screens? How cool is that the lucky bastards :thumbup:

10000inch flat screen :shock: , still have the old 24"CRT that I got given years ago, not sure how environmentally friendly that is compared to the 10000" :crazy:

Rigger, you 24"CRT is better than any TV if it still going and not filling a tip.

To br Fair the Pirates and the cruise ships pale into insignificance when you compare them to the biggest "joke" on the planet... GREENPEACE!

Does Green Peace mean…

Green – as in “green back”

Peace - Piece of the action.

These idiots at Greenpeace spend a lot of money trying to stop whale hunting on the Southern Ocean with very little success. They waste money time and resources on this fruitless activity and all the while they are never seen when 100’s of whales beach themselves between December and March every year.

Imagine if Green Peace had the brains and inclination and…

… resourced one of their ships with helicopters and people then hired a few diggers to be strategically placed near the “usual stranding spots” and actually had a go at saving these mammals?

Imagine if they even just cared the same amount for these strandings as they do the “buildings they climb” to make a useless point!

Imagine if Greenpeace forgot thier Marketing stratergies and got more directley involved in actually stopping the issues that cause enviromental distruction...

GREEN PEACE... You are a waste of time and money! and i hope the Somali's catch up with you soon.

Not dissimilar to what happened in Colombia. The FARQ guys started off trying to topple a despotic and corrupt government, all very laudable, then they needed to fund the war (war is expensive) so they moved in on the drug trade. Years later they had pretty much forgotten their original high ideals and were simply making buckets of money trafficking cocaine.

Not dissimilar to what happened in Colombia. The FARQ guys started off trying to topple a despotic and corrupt government, all very laudable, then they needed to fund the war (war is expensive) so they moved in on the drug trade. Years later they had pretty much forgotten their original high ideals and were simply making buckets of money trafficking cocaine.

Maybe Greenpeace are linked to this mob.

and the best movie for the year.... a must see... is the Larsson film.... "the girl with the dragon tatoo"

bloody brilliant!

Just reading the book and it is even better!

If we are talking movies,

New Academy awards categories:-

"In the Loop", Award for Best swearing ever from the psycho Scotman.

"Gran Turismo", Award for Best Grunting and heavy breathing.

"Man on wire", Award for How did that end up so good.

The Phillipe Petit fella that walked across the twin towers on a wire is the greatest stunt man alive / or dead.

he is a real super hero :wtf: .

After finishing the tongariro crossing, on the last day of the year, i shot down to gravity canyon (just south of taihape) and was amazed at the setup.

They had the usual bungy jumping and bridge swinging but best of all was the 1 km 3 person flying fox that gets you up to 160kph.

I climbed up to the start area and was 300m above the river and realised just how much i hate hieghts and how much higher Philipe Petit was when he walked on that wire.

unbelievable :crazy:

Umm???... Let me think...

If some one worse of than me stole my stuff i would not care. but is some one better of than me did it i would care!

STS, I sure you are just writing this as a wind up to those that may bite.

I am damm sure that if your house was burgled tonight while you are out eating your 4 course meal at the Duxton, you would indeed be very miffed at the result, you would care and care very much as this is not a burglary rather than an invasion of your privacy, thats the bit that will get you... I speak from experience, more than I care for as well.

On the other issue of Somalia... I have in past years spent a lot of time there and I can tell you while we see all the shock and horror on the TV, and not to mention that the US left a bit of a mess, but Somalia has still manages to sustain a free market economy equal to the balance of Africa, and we do not see them running around in shitty boats theiving. Rest assured these guys are very serious, they are not doing it because they are starving, they are doing it to make money.

Part of the problem is that they were members of the African Union at the same time as being in the Arab leauge, the mostly muslim country this was at the root of the civil unrest,that saw President Siad Barre over thrown in 1990 ish and now the country is ruled by the militant warloards and they will do what they please and when they want. When the Islamist insurgency gathered in the South in the early 2000s this effectivley blocked acces to Kenya, which is where they got most of there Civilised attitude from. (not anymore) Then Ethiopia pulled the troops in the North and it was game on. (time for me to bugger off)

I do not feel sorry for the ones that get caught pirating, if it were me, I would shoot the buggers, the cost that they are adding to my new plasma is unbelievable.

Umm???... Let me think...

If some one worse of than me stole my stuff i would not care. but is some one better of than me did it i would care!

STS, I sure you are just writing this as a wind up to those that may bite.

I am damm sure that if your house was burgled tonight while you are out eating your 4 course meal at the Duxton, you would indeed be very miffed at the result, you would care and care very much as this is not a burglary rather than an invasion of your privacy, thats the bit that will get you... I speak from experience, more than I care for as well.

On the other issue of Somalia... I have in past years spent a lot of time there and I can tell you while we see all the shock and horror on the TV, and not to mention that the US left a bit of a mess, but Somalia has still manages to sustain a free market economy equal to the balance of Africa, and we do not see them running around in shitty boats theiving. Rest assured these guys are very serious, they are not doing it because they are starving, they are doing it to make money.

Part of the problem is that they were members of the African Union at the same time as being in the Arab leauge, the mostly muslim country this was at the root of the civil unrest,that saw President Siad Barre over thrown in 1990 ish and now the country is ruled by the militant warloards and they will do what they please and when they want. When the Islamist insurgency gathered in the South in the early 2000s this effectivley blocked acces to Kenya, which is where they got most of there Civilised attitude from. (not anymore) Then Ethiopia pulled the troops in the North and it was game on. (time for me to bugger off)

I do not feel sorry for the ones that get caught pirating, if it were me, I would shoot the buggers, the cost that they are adding to my new plasma is unbelievable.

No wind up bro! i would rather be robbed by A somali than George W bush...

David Tua than Eric Watson

John Kirwan than Mr Madoff...

Get the drift?

And your last statement blew the credibility of the previous paragraphs :?

STS. The very tongue in check point I was making here, was that, the disruption caused by the piracy in the Gulf of Aden will eventually add many hundreds of thousands of dollars to the cost of shipping. Some I admit have a choice not to sail that area and should think hard about the choice they make to do so, but for the movement of cargo and in particular - produce around the world, this is by far the most efficient way to run.

My guess is that the Islamic militants know full well what this disruption will cause the western world, More is to be gained for them by disrupting than to plunder for ransoms.

It was easy for them to get a foot hold in Somalia as President Siad Barre, was himself quite the dictator and had outlawed the local clans. They had not gone they were just waiting for an opportunity to rise again, and man they got it now.

There was a time when I was visiting, the Port of Berbera was a bustling community, I spent a bit of time around the coast of Africa I do not seem to remember many that exported as much meat, grain and bananas as Somalia. So they did have the money in fact export was the main earner for the country. Ports like Mogadishu and Kismayu had no container cranes at that time (not sure if they do now) so they were much less bustling. there was much more mayhem in the south as the Ethiopian troops were never that far south (as far as I can remember) so this was the perfect launching place to launch a Coup d'Etat

Here is the weird thing the coup d'état was launched to end "tribalism, nepotism, corruption, and misrule." the new ruling party suspended the constitution, and the floodgates opened, and they end up with the same thing as they had.

I am not sure what Islamic Militant groups are deep seated in this one, The US would have us believe that it is Al-Qaeda, but they would say that wouldn’t they. No matter who it is, it was exactly what the Warlords wanted as they had been underground for some time.

So back to the very beginning, I am convinced that the Piracy that goes on is not to support a starving country, it is to act as an offensive against the West by those that oppose it. It is just convenience that they have a country that is situated perfectly for them to be able to do so, and they have many clans willing to rule their own patch however they want. The spoils are of course the ransoms etc.

You say

I say, why should you make the choice. You should not be robbed at all. :)

STS. The very tongue in check point I was making here, was that, the disruption caused by the piracy in the Gulf of Aden will eventually add many hundreds of thousands of dollars to the cost of shipping. Some I admit have a choice not to sail that area and should think hard about the choice they make to do so, but for the movement of cargo and in particular - produce around the world, this is by far the most efficient way to run.

My guess is that the Islamic militants know full well what this disruption will cause the western world, More is to be gained for them by disrupting than to plunder for ransoms.

It was easy for them to get a foot hold in Somalia as President Siad Barre, was himself quite the dictator and had outlawed the local clans. They had not gone they were just waiting for an opportunity to rise again, and man they got it now.

There was a time when I was visiting, the Port of Berbera was a bustling community, I spent a bit of time around the coast of Africa I do not seem to remember many that exported as much meat, grain and bananas as Somalia. So they did have the money in fact export was the main earner for the country. Ports like Mogadishu and Kismayu had no container cranes at that time (not sure if they do now) so they were much less bustling. there was much more mayhem in the south as the Ethiopian troops were never that far south (as far as I can remember) so this was the perfect launching place to launch a Coup d'Etat

Here is the weird thing the coup d'état was launched to end "tribalism, nepotism, corruption, and misrule." the new ruling party suspended the constitution, and the floodgates opened, and they end up with the same thing as they had.

I am not sure what Islamic Militant groups are deep seated in this one, The US would have us believe that it is Al-Qaeda, but they would say that wouldn’t they. No matter who it is, it was exactly what the Warlords wanted as they had been underground for some time.

So back to the very beginning, I am convinced that the Piracy that goes on is not to support a starving country, it is to act as an offensive against the West by those that oppose it. It is just convenience that they have a country that is situated perfectly for them to be able to do so, and they have many clans willing to rule their own patch however they want. The spoils are of course the ransoms etc.

You say

I say, why should you make the choice. You should not be robbed at all. :)

True. and nicely put but...

my arguement is the pirates v the rich stupid people they are robbing.

both sides have corruption and politics but only one side has power and $$$...

time to "Spread the wealth"

Rigger sent me this - I love it

"War-torn Somalia, which has essentially been without a cohesive government for over fifteen years, offers the pirates few opportunities to invest their profits. But neighboring Kenya is a different story. Relatively stable, Kenya is also East Africa's largest economy, allowing ample opportunity to launder the over $100 million in ransom money Somali pirates have been paid in the last two years.

This laundering has most recently taken the form of large real estate purchases. Even in the midst of a global real estate crunch, in which American housing prices have dropped precipitously, prices in the Kenyan capital Nairobi have doubled or even tripled in the last five years.

Although Kenyan officials cannot prove this is entirely the work of pirates, there is a great deal of circumstantial evidence to support this conclusion.

The area of Nairobi most affected by the housing explosion is Little Mogadishu, named for Somalia's capital city, which is home to most of the city's Somali expatriates. The now-thriving community has seen huge expansion in large businesses and apartment buildings in the last few years."

you know this wouldn't been happening if the Dom Post had kept the Phantom.

With all this Airplane security i wonder how hard it would be to blow up a Super sized cruise liner or even better drive it, full of explosives, into some useless place like the wharves in Sydney harbour :shifty: :o

Would you even need the explosives. A decent sized ship at full titty into the wharves would still make enough mess to keep the media feed for a fair while.

Take a decent run up and angle it right you probably could take most of Akl's out with a good sized ship. Hell just nail Princess Wharf good enough and that's one Hilton Hotel less in the world. It wouldn't take much to bowl that wharf over.

It would be pretty hard to blow up a Crusie liner. But a Tanker of some kind. Now that would make a mess.

Anyone remember the big Texas accident of 1947?? Squid? YY?? :wink:

She was an old Liberty ship called the SS Grandcamp, about 400+ft long and was being used to transport Ammonium Nitrate as fertilizer to Europe after the War. Along with ammonium nitrate, which at that time was a very common cargo for shipping, it was carrying ammunition, machinery, and on the deck bales of sisal twine. Another ship, SS High Flyer was also in the harbor, about 200 m away from the SS Grandcamp. The High Flyer contained an additional 961 tons of ammonium nitrate and 3,600,000 pounds (1,800 tons) of sulfur.

The 32.5% ammonium nitrate, used as fertilizer and in high explosives, was manufactured in Nebraska and Iowa and shipped to Texas City by rail before being loaded on the Grandcamp.

It was manufactured in a patented explosives process, mixed with clay, petrolatum, rosin and paraffin to avoid moisture caking. It was also packaged in paper sacks, then transported and stored at temperatures that increased its chemical activity. Longshoremen reported the bags were warm to the touch prior to loading.

Around 08:10, smoke was spotted in the cargo hold of the Grandcamp. Attempts at control failed as a red glow returned after each effort.

Shortly before 9:00 AM, the Captain ordered his men to steam the hold, a firefighting method where steam is piped in to put out fires in the hope of preserving the cargo. Meanwhile, the fire had attracted a crowd of spectators along the shoreline, who believed they were a safe distance away. Spectators noted that the water around the ship was already boiling from the heat, an indication of runaway chemical reactions. The cargo hold and deck began to bulge as the forces increased inside.

At 09:12, the ammonium nitrate reached an explosive threshold and the vessel then detonated, causing great destruction and damage throughout the port. The tremendous blast sent a 4.5 m wave that was detectable over nearly 160Km of the Texas shoreline. The blast leveled nearly 1,000 buildings on land. The Grandcamp explosion destroyed the Monsanto Chemical Company plant and resulted in ignition of refineries and chemical tanks on the waterfront. Falling bales of burning twine added to the damage while the Grandcamp's anchor was hurled across the city. Sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings sheared off, forcing both out of the sky. 16Kms away, people in Galveston were forced to their knees; windows were shattered in Houston, Texas, 60 km away. People felt the shock 400 km away in Louisiana. The explosion blew almost 6,350 tons of the ship's steel into the air, some at supersonic speed.

Official casualty estimates came to a total of 567, but many victims were burned to ashes or literally blown to bits, and the official total is believed to be an underestimate. The entire volunteer fire department of Texas City was killed in the initial explosion, and with the fires raging, first responders from other areas were initially unable to reach the site of the disaster.

The first explosion ignited ammonium nitrate cargo in the High Flyer. The crews spent hours attempting to cut the High Flyer free from its anchor and other obstacles, but without success. After smoke had been pouring out of its hold for over five hours, and about fifteen hours after the explosions aboard the Grandcamp, the High Flyer blew up demolishing the nearby SS Wilson B. Keene, killing at least two more people and increasing the damage to the port and other ships with more shrapnel and fire.

The Texas City Disaster is generally considered the worst industrial accident in American history. Witnesses compared the scene to the fairly recent images of the 1943 Air Raid on Bari and the much larger devastation at Nagasaki. The official death toll was 581. Of the dead, 405 were identified and 63 have never been identified. These 63 were placed in a memorial cemetary in the north part of Texas City near Moses Lake. A remaining 113 people were classified as missing, for no identifiable parts were ever found. This figure includes firefighters who were aboard Grandcamp when it exploded. There is some speculation that there may have been hundreds more killed but uncounted, including visiting seamen, non-census laborers and their families, and an untold number of travelers. However, there were some survivors as close as 21 m from the dock. The victims' bodies quickly filled the local morgue, and several bodies were laid out in the local high school's gymnasium for identification by loved ones.

Over 5,000 people were injured, with 1,784 admitted to twenty-one area hospitals. More than 500 homes were destroyed and hundreds damaged, leaving 2,000 homeless. The seaport was destroyed and many businesses were flattened or burned. Over 1,100 vehicles were damaged and 362 freight cars were obliterated—the property damage was estimated at $100 million.

A 2 ton anchor of Grandcamp was hurled 2.61 km and found in a 3 m crater. It now rests in a memorial park. The other main 5 ton anchor was hurled 800 m to the entrance of the Texas City Dike, and rests on a Texas shaped memorial at the entrance. Burning wreckage ignited everything within miles, including dozens of oil storage tanks and chemical tanks. The nearby city of Galveston, Texas, was covered with an oily fog which left deposits over every exposed outdoor surface.

It would be pretty hard to blow up a Crusie liner. But a Tanker of some kind. Now that would make a mess.

Anyone remember the big Texas accident of 1947?? Squid? YY?? :wink:

She was an old Liberty ship called the SS Grandcamp, about 400+ft long and was being used to transport Ammonium Nitrate as fertilizer to Europe after the War. Along with ammonium nitrate, which at that time was a very common cargo for shipping, it was carrying ammunition, machinery, and on the deck bales of sisal twine. Another ship, SS High Flyer was also in the harbor, about 200 m away from the SS Grandcamp. The High Flyer contained an additional 961 tons of ammonium nitrate and 3,600,000 pounds (1,800 tons) of sulfur.

The 32.5% ammonium nitrate, used as fertilizer and in high explosives, was manufactured in Nebraska and Iowa and shipped to Texas City by rail before being loaded on the Grandcamp.

It was manufactured in a patented explosives process, mixed with clay, petrolatum, rosin and paraffin to avoid moisture caking. It was also packaged in paper sacks, then transported and stored at temperatures that increased its chemical activity. Longshoremen reported the bags were warm to the touch prior to loading.

Around 08:10, smoke was spotted in the cargo hold of the Grandcamp. Attempts at control failed as a red glow returned after each effort.

Shortly before 9:00 AM, the Captain ordered his men to steam the hold, a firefighting method where steam is piped in to put out fires in the hope of preserving the cargo. Meanwhile, the fire had attracted a crowd of spectators along the shoreline, who believed they were a safe distance away. Spectators noted that the water around the ship was already boiling from the heat, an indication of runaway chemical reactions. The cargo hold and deck began to bulge as the forces increased inside.

At 09:12, the ammonium nitrate reached an explosive threshold and the vessel then detonated, causing great destruction and damage throughout the port. The tremendous blast sent a 4.5 m wave that was detectable over nearly 160Km of the Texas shoreline. The blast leveled nearly 1,000 buildings on land. The Grandcamp explosion destroyed the Monsanto Chemical Company plant and resulted in ignition of refineries and chemical tanks on the waterfront. Falling bales of burning twine added to the damage while the Grandcamp's anchor was hurled across the city. Sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings sheared off, forcing both out of the sky. 16Kms away, people in Galveston were forced to their knees; windows were shattered in Houston, Texas, 60 km away. People felt the shock 400 km away in Louisiana. The explosion blew almost 6,350 tons of the ship's steel into the air, some at supersonic speed.

Official casualty estimates came to a total of 567, but many victims were burned to ashes or literally blown to bits, and the official total is believed to be an underestimate. The entire volunteer fire department of Texas City was killed in the initial explosion, and with the fires raging, first responders from other areas were initially unable to reach the site of the disaster.

The first explosion ignited ammonium nitrate cargo in the High Flyer. The crews spent hours attempting to cut the High Flyer free from its anchor and other obstacles, but without success. After smoke had been pouring out of its hold for over five hours, and about fifteen hours after the explosions aboard the Grandcamp, the High Flyer blew up demolishing the nearby SS Wilson B. Keene, killing at least two more people and increasing the damage to the port and other ships with more shrapnel and fire.

The Texas City Disaster is generally considered the worst industrial accident in American history. Witnesses compared the scene to the fairly recent images of the 1943 Air Raid on Bari and the much larger devastation at Nagasaki. The official death toll was 581. Of the dead, 405 were identified and 63 have never been identified. These 63 were placed in a memorial cemetary in the north part of Texas City near Moses Lake. A remaining 113 people were classified as missing, for no identifiable parts were ever found. This figure includes firefighters who were aboard Grandcamp when it exploded. There is some speculation that there may have been hundreds more killed but uncounted, including visiting seamen, non-census laborers and their families, and an untold number of travelers. However, there were some survivors as close as 21 m from the dock. The victims' bodies quickly filled the local morgue, and several bodies were laid out in the local high school's gymnasium for identification by loved ones.

Over 5,000 people were injured, with 1,784 admitted to twenty-one area hospitals. More than 500 homes were destroyed and hundreds damaged, leaving 2,000 homeless. The seaport was destroyed and many businesses were flattened or burned. Over 1,100 vehicles were damaged and 362 freight cars were obliterated—the property damage was estimated at $100 million.

A 2 ton anchor of Grandcamp was hurled 2.61 km and found in a 3 m crater. It now rests in a memorial park. The other main 5 ton anchor was hurled 800 m to the entrance of the Texas City Dike, and rests on a Texas shaped memorial at the entrance. Burning wreckage ignited everything within miles, including dozens of oil storage tanks and chemical tanks. The nearby city of Galveston, Texas, was covered with an oily fog which left deposits over every exposed outdoor surface.

now that impressive!

Gee i hope osama Bin LINER a'int watching.

Archived