Harken winch service kits

Bimini Babe

Im happy to come help out and show you how its done AC - Just make sure the fridge is cold and full, and that its a nice sunny day! :-)

The former is guaranteed. The latter less so (it's NZ after all).

This is definitely something I need help with. I've pulled apart my primaries a couple of times, removed obvious muck n stuff, cleaned up, applied healthy smearing of winch grease (the stuff that costs a king's ransom per tube)... but the benefits only seem to last about 5 mins before the winch reverts to it's clunky sound and action. I do need help from someone who knows what they are doing so I can watch and learn.

Im happy to come help out and show you how its done AC - Just make sure the fridge is cold and full, and that its a nice sunny day! :-)

A word of warning AC. Before MM even starts work, ask him what he has done with his car keys... Saves grief at the end of the job. :lol: :lol:

Yeah i have now put a key hook in my gear back Smithy to save me that greif next time! Jesus who would make a jacket with pockets that deep you can loose car keys in them aye!!! :lol: :lol: :clap:

Was it made in Scotland for putting your wallet in? :)

Probably. It would work a treat based on the last experience.. Never pay for a round again, considering it took a walk to the Marina office, a walk back to the boat, and a search around the car, all in the pissing rain, before said keys were found in jacket... :lol: :lol: Marshy, you knew I would get some mileage out of that at some stage didn't you??? :D :D :D

Haha yeah figured it would bite me at some stage :-P Wont hurt quite as much as a 5 day sleigh ride on the marshall to Noumea costs you though aye Squid hahahahaha

Haha yeah figured it would bite me at some stage :-P Wont hurt quite as much as a 5 day sleigh ride on the marshall to Noumea costs you though aye Squid hahahahaha

Nah. Squid's bringing the Rum and food... :D :D The Mrs is keen to meet me up there as well, so I have thye tick of approval.. Just some $$$$ and cat 1 to get now.... Might need some more of your services before then Marshy!

ool rigging i can do, but i charge more for "Services" mate... :lol: :lol:

Whoops.. Better change my wording in future. :oops: :oops: The only "happy endings" I'm after is a rig that stays up.. And just to clarify, by "Rig" I am referring to the mast that supports sails... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheesh, talk about having to watch your words around here... :D :D

I have Harken 32 winches on my boat. Thought they were beginning to sound a bit rattley when the jib load came on. So tried to take them apart today so I could clean/grease/oil them. I suspect this has not been done for a long time.

Found that I could not move the screw in the centre of the winch., it seemed to be seized in there solid. This is the largish screw in the middle under the handle location area that holds the complete drum assembly on. I was reluctant to get too strong with the screwdriver as I could munt the screw slot, leaving me worse off.

I guess this is not a new problem with Harken 32's. Does anyone know a solution to this problem, ie how do you get the central screw in Harken 32's to undo when they are in very securely and won't budge with normal force?

afu

Put a large screw driver in and give it a tap with a hammer, the impact (not a large impact btw) will help free up the screw a little bit.

" Put a large screw driver in and give it a tap with a hammer, the impact..... "

Thanks guys. The hint was great. Went down the local Mitre10 and bought an impact screwdriver set. Once the screw driver blade was in the slot it only took a firm hit on the top of the impact driver with the hammer to unlock the screws.

From then then on it was grease and oil all the way.

afu

You still have to unbolt them off the deck and dismantle them to get at the central gears.

... and leave 1 in 1 piece to refer to so you don't put it back together, bolt it back on the deck.... and find out the central gear is upside down so you have to unbolt the winch........

....... but what sort of dumbarse does that? :silent:

Archived