Antifouling - What do people use?

Clipper

primacon is just a universal primer. Interprotect is an epoxy barrier coat which is normally applied directly to the hull surface. Some people have used primacon directly over hulls with not quite all antifoul removed to provide a key. I suspect though that the manfacturer's don't recommend that. Is that where you're going with the question?!?

sort of.

Removing ALL traces is hard, removing 90% a lot less so. Quite a patchy look at the moment, mostly white undercoat, with seemingly many other colours appearing.

Primacon is probably the go, as will not be down to bare hull, just removing the old antifoul??

Removing ALL traces is hard, removing 90% a lot less so. Quite a patchy look at the moment, mostly white undercoat, with seemingly many other colours appearing.

It seems to be a bit of a trip down memory lane - I remember hitting the blue layer which was a couple down on our boat, and wondering "what were they thinking when they put that on?".

Imagine you are sanding/scraping Clipper - has anyone tried or heard anything about the "clumping" product that Burnsco sells?

Best thing i have used to get rid of mine was that sand paper burnsco sells has the holes in it. Its like a plastic with grit on it, kinda like a rasp. Ran over mine with 100 grit and its far far easier than wet and dry, You just hose the crap off it and carry on. Doesnt dull off like sand paper. Two of them did my whole boat.

Guest mental outlook

We used those sanding pads on Attitude, were fantastic. 2 pads did the whole boat and tore through it. Leaves wet and dry for dead. You use it like a normal wet and dry but it doesn't clog or stick.

I've used those sanding mesh thingo's - awesome! I've had no experience with teh antifouling remover, but a club member was using it a few weeks ago and when I asked them how well it worked they were pleased with it. They said it wasn't as effective on the antifouling that had been above the actual waterline.

anyone know what those sanding mesh things are called?

Or will that description suffice at burnsco?

Yep, that is exactly what they are called - those sanding mesh things.

I did the mesh thing too. 2 sheets did mine.

I used it wet with an air powered random orbital from supercheap and a 9cfm compressor.

I watched a team of 4 guys using the gel. It worked pretty well, but they still had to sand it afterwards.

They learnt early on that you need to scrape it while it was still wet.

It's called a Sanding Screen 115mmx 280mm 100G

about 4.00 a sheet, and they are magic, picked a couple up on Monday morning.

They have the squishy blocks in the right size for them too :)

So when we launched in Nov 2011 we used a base of Red Trilux with Black Awlcraft over the top. I knew the Awlcraft wouldnt last long as its ablative and I washed it too often. The Trilux was softer than I expected but worked fine as long as it was kept clean. A couple of times I left it too long and had to use a scotchbrite which stuffed it pretty quick. Anyway the system lasted 18 months so i'm happy with that. A lot of people mentioned the boat looked funny with a mix of red and black bottom paint. It didn't worry me, I liked that I could see how quick the soft stuff wore off.

This time i'm using Ultra. I figure if I clean it every race (which I have to in shoal bay as its so bad for growth) I might as well use the hardest paint I can.

I would use Micron 66 (or 77) if I could afford it (i'm sure it would reduce the cleaning to every 2nd or 3rd race), problem is the missus is spending the boat money on baby stuff...

I may be wide of the mark here but if you guys are wiping down every 2 weeks why bother to antifoul at all? I had my high gloss epoxy dinghy moored for 2 years, if I had given it a quick rub over with a sponge every 2 weeks it would have been perfect. As it was I sponged it every month or so to keep it good. Only if it was left longer did I have to resort to the "bit of conveyer belt screwed to piece of wood" trick. As someone said here if you have a hard smooth gloss finish its hard for anything to get a foot hold.

I may be wide of the mark here but if you guys are wiping down every 2 weeks why bother to antifoul at all? I had my high gloss epoxy dinghy moored for 2 years, if I had given it a quick rub over with a sponge every 2 weeks it would have been perfect. As it was I sponged it every month or so to keep it good. Only if it was left longer did I have to resort to the "bit of conveyer belt screwed to piece of wood" trick. As someone said here if you have a hard smooth gloss finish its hard for anything to get a foot hold.

The problem is the one race you dont clean the bottom and end up with little shell thingies on there and then when you clean it it scratches the bottom which makes them grow quicker...

As far as I know most race boats which dont use antifoul get cleaned daily?

Have been very pleased with the new Micron 77 that we got to trial on Timberwolf.

The boat was in the water for two months before a very light slime built up and required the lightest of wipes to remove.

In 7 months it required only 3 very light and quick cleans.

As an antifoul it stayed cleaner than anything else I have used.

As an ablative it actually came cleaner (was looking cleaner) after a race even if at the start we had a bit of light slime on.

When you wipe it clean less of the antifoul comes off (as in it appears to be a bit harder than micron 66).

We applied the Micron 77 by spray.

Putting down a Light Blue colour first and following that with the Darker blue. So in the future we can see any areas that are wearing thin.

I wrote a letter to Akzo Nobel commending them on such a fantastic product

Archived