Wanted - mainsail

ab1974

Ive got an SR main you could buy, but its about half a meter too short in the hoist i think so might cost more to fix than to build a good one?

Only got one photo of it off the boat, its my spare race main, but only used it once since i bought the boat as cant be bothered changing mains and have a dacron cruising main. The girls on newforce borrowed it for nationals. Its carbon and in alright condition. Could do with a bit of a spit and shine around a few batten pockets where its just rubbed etc but no repairs or major damage.

Not too fussed on selling it as its probably still useful or will sell to an SR but if it suited and helped someone out...

Mainsail.jpg

Thanks Marshy, just the 'type' of main I am after. My dacron cruising main is looking pretty tired when it comes to getting a decent shape round the race track!

Having said that, based on your comments I might be better trying to find something closer to full size. You can probably find a better use for this one....

Any other ideas welcome.

Before you disregard the idea of this one, make a quick call to your preferred sail maker and get a price to add a bit on the bottom and a all round touch up. Might surprise you as that carbon cloth is something someone may have a short roll of lying around and be able to do you a pretty good deal for something you should be pretty happy with. Just my two cents though...... :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh:

Yeah think Grant got that off the 930 he looks after?

My main measurements are:

Luff: 9.9metres

Leech: 10.9metres approx

Foot: 4.050 Metres

I see FX (Elliott 7.9) uses a Ross 930 sail - and goes well. Must be a few of those lying around.

My boat came with 6 of them. 3 are now sexy shade sails, one got made into a evening gown and I have a racer and a cruzing one for use on the boat.

Actually I think I may have a 7th. It'll be a cruzing one now, or at least in my scheme, but I'll suss it out. If it's got any life left someone can have it. Stand by.

Seeing as we are talking about surplus mainsails, I need an upgrade.

My luff is 10.8, foot 4.2.

At the moment I'm using a Ross 930 one as well, but I'm masthead so really need something with a straighter luff.

I believe the question related to the supply of cast-off mainsails from the 930 fleet for uses which appear to have included:

3 are now sexy shade sails, one got made into a evening gown

I must admit that the 88 fleet has been somewhat one-dimensional in its use of mainsails for yachting, while clearly others were delving into their own brand of fun. :problem: Please no photos of the evening gown or whoever it was that needed that quantity of cloth to cover them.

Yeah, not too keen to see the 930 dress either! :shock:

So what is the normal luff and foot lengths of a 930 main?? What about an 88 main??

Marshy and Kestrahl - I'll PM you offline.

Oh lads, I bet you do want to see the dress. It along with the one made from all 2mm chain were modelled by a smoking 17yo who didn't have the slightest issue getting it ALL off in front of this drooling lad.

Both came out pretty damn flash I must say. The chain one placed second in a nationwide schools thing. That was after the designer and I decided that it was probably best to create some form of underwear to put under it as the chances of a multitude of school boys doing themselves serious friction damage was damn high if she didn't :lol:

No real idea what the sail measurements are sorry. Never needed to except for the PHRF Cert but I just made all those numbers up on the fly.

I'd think 930's and 88's would be pretty similar.

No real idea what the sail measurements are sorry. Never needed to except for the PHRF Cert but I just made all those numbers up on the fly.

No wonder the whole class thing has got away on you a bit. :roll:

88 main is just over 11.2 in the luff and 4.5 in the foot if I am reading my my Ps and Es correctly. Probably need an opinion from a sailmaker as to whether it is better to cut down or built up to what you want - and of course they are all dacron so nowhere near as flash as what Marshy has on offer. But if you do stumble across the El Dorado of reasonably-priced-but-not-totally-rooted 88 sails, let me know - I have never had much luck.

Archived