liveaboard

The Gemini 105Mc (10.5M length) is a pretty smart looking cat with standing room in the saloon at a reasonable price - over 1,000 built. Fits into a standard 12M slip. Have gone around the world.

Buy in in the US using the strong NZD and sail her downwind home.

An example of a 10m liveaboard cat. Pretty sure Alim was the first Turkish national to circumnavigate his own boat.

No standing headroom on the bridgedeck apart from the cockpit.

This photo was taken on a freshwater lake but the boat did cross oceans OK.

DSCF0078.JPG

Probably prenty of Gemini owners (and the designer) that would disagree squid. Quite a few used as live aboards and plenty have crossed the pacific and atlantic. Agreed they are more a hunter type (and are now actually built by hunter!) but they seem to have proven themselves quite well. You get what you pay for.

I remember reading an article by the designer after crossing the Atlantic in which he stated it was not what the boat was designed for. f course that wont stop people doing it.

I remember reading an article by the designer after crossing the Atlantic in which he stated it was not what the boat was designed for. f course that wont stop people doing it.

I don't think I was designed for work but it doesn't stop me doing it now and again.

Good thread this!

My 10 cents: I lived aboard for 3 years in and around the Med with my girlfreind. Sailed from Brighton in the UK to the eastern Med and all around that area, then returned via the canals and rivers of France and Germany.

The boat was a 29ft Dufour. You often see a lot of negative comment on Crew about French production boats, but what we did with this boat and the abuse it took was amazing. It never let us down.

(I suspect my current Kiwi built boat would not stand up to the abuse I gave the Dufour, like full on run agrounds at 6 knots that stopped us dead, hitting cars pushed into French Canals).

What's more we had full 6'4 standing headroom right through to the heads and could comfortably sleep 5 plus all cruising gear. 14 hp diesel, Eberspacher heating, and very simple electrics. It wasn't fast by any means, but in terms of value for money, fantastic. There have been a few Beneteau First 35s sold cheaply (Under $120K) recently. They would be hard to go past I would have thought..

We were in our twenties, and yes it was the best time of my life, so I'll back up what everyone else has said. Photos of Pintail below..

Pintail.jpg

Pintail_0001.jpg

Pintail_0002.jpg

Tsk, tsk Smithy .... you shouldn't leave the capo on the neck like that. It stretches the strings and shortens their life ... but I expect you knew that already. Hard to identify what the 6 string is ... a Yamaha perhaps???

Tsk, tsk Smithy .... you shouldn't leave the capo on the neck like that. It stretches the strings and shortens their life ... but I expect you knew that already. Hard to identify what the 6 string is ... a Yamaha perhaps???

Hahaha. Busted. Yes an old Yamaha. Got a Takamine now that is hardly played. I must change that!!

Any significant maintenance issues or challenges with a guitar on a yacht long term? Wondering about whether cruising long term is going to kill my 12 string or not.

Any significant maintenance issues or challenges with a guitar on a yacht long term? Wondering about whether cruising long term is going to kill my 12 string or not.

Nope. Never kept it in a case either, but it was nothing flash. Always kept its tune and the action stayed OK, so the neck never twisted. We did have warm air heating which kept the boat dry...

Came in very handy at Flotilla BBQs. I found that I had to get the exact amount of alchohol intake though.. Too little and not enough courage to play and sing.. Too much and couldn't do it and slurred the words.. When the intake was perfect I was a legend!! :lol: :lol: I don't think anything has changed.... :D :D

Might have to test that theory one night ;) Although not Seaforth at the moment, she's in pieces as the engine's getting new mounts, flexible coupling, cooling system stripped and tidied up, etc. Mayhem.

Good thread this!

My 10 cents: I lived aboard for 3 years in and around the Med with my girlfreind. ....................

We were in our twenties, and yes it was the best time of my life, so I'll back up what everyone else has said.

I think you've hit on the essence of this subject.

I did some extended cruising in my early marriage but didn't live on board per se but, as a yacht broker in Singapore and Fiji in the 1970 & 1980s I met a large number of people who did, and witnessed many successes and failures.

My wife and I are now living aboard for 6 months out of 12.

In your twenties a little yacht like Pintail is enormous fun and it's all do-able. But, irrespective of kids entering the equation you need, as you get older, much more space. You also need stability and wider side decks.

A golden rule about boat size for anyone living aboard over the age of 40.

You need to be able to have a naughty without the boat showing any sign of movement.

Good thread this!

My 10 cents: I lived aboard for 3 years in and around the Med with my girlfreind. ....................

We were in our twenties, and yes it was the best time of my life, so I'll back up what everyone else has said.

I think you've hit on the essence of this subject.

I did some extended cruising in my early marriage but didn't live on board per se but, as a yacht broker in Singapore and Fiji in the 1970 & 1980s I met a large number of people who did, and witnessed many successes and failures.

My wife and I are now living aboard for 6 months out of 12.

In your twenties a little yacht like Pintail is enormous fun and it's all do-able. But, irrespective of kids entering the equation you need, as you get older, much more space. You also need stability and wider side decks.

A golden rule about boat size for anyone living aboard over the age of 40.

You need to be able to have a naughty without the boat showing any sign of movement.

G'day David. Nice $1.50 plus worth. Where are you now & what size, type of yacht are you living on?

Here are my thoughts, IMHO of course.

Now to you valuable advice. When one's young - almost everything is just fine. When older as you said - more creature comforts are required. I also lived on board full time c/w daughter & 2 grand-kids, for 6 years. 52' tri though & lots of room. However even more work. Work & expenses never ended. Not as much time as I wanted for enjoyment & not much money left over to do the trips & enjoy the life of cruising. OH & I'm a blinken yacht builder. Lots of great yachts out there for $150k. Finding the right one is the BIG task. Work hard at it & do all your homework, then do it all over again. Then when you think you've got the right yacht - take a deep breath & start at the beginning & do all your checks from scratch. All the work & it is work will be worth it in the end when you've finally found the right yacht for your life-style. Keep asking advice in these forums & you'll keep learning more & more. Good studing & homework, ciao, james

Re Lionheart - there was another boat out there that night (Chico 30 no less David), they gybed and went back out, sailed in to Auckland the next day no worries.

looks like a lot of boat for the money. looks like it had self steering gear on the back + water maker. couple of things we still need to get. I imagine you wouldnt be dissapointed and its 13.5m which is roomy (1/2m bigger than ours). really like the look of that side cabin with the sliding door.

my2c

hey anyone fancy giving me there 2 cents worth on this cruiser?

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=171456

cheers Rob

G'day again 'R-T' Looks good - BUT do be cautious, Please. Get very serious survey, which I'm learning all about because of my looking over-there also. Remember it is 21 yrs old & will need a very close look-over by an experienced professional eye. Check out how you get it out of Fiji (not a stable government - in any way) also check in writing - what it will cost to get it out of the country from official government sources. DO NOT under any circumstances offer more than 55% of the asking price. I've got lots of examples of the pricing - especially over there. If you want to go into percise details then e-mail me - jamesaviculture@hotmail.com - I've been in this business for my whole life & might be able to assist. If not at least I'll make you think & maybe of something that in the long run will save you money. It's all your call. Ciao, james