Birdsall Plans

Johnson was a plumber. May have dabbled in yacht design. Beau was his brother. When I meet Johnson, he was sailing a Beau designed yacht but that was back in 1990. We were both working up in Western Samoa building the new Aussie diplomatic residences.

Both of us were pissed off not being out on the Hauraki Gulf for Anniversary weekend.

Hi All

I am willing to help out with any of the enquiries for Birdsall designs, Bo was my uncle and my father Johnson built and owned Contour of Cuthill. I do have some copies of the plans discussed on this thread.

• Upvote 3

Hi All

I am planning to buy a Birdsall65. I need some documents for the registration.
Builder Certificate, tonnage certificate......if possible all plans - certificate concerning birdsall 65.

Thanks

On 23/04/2023 at 7:29 AM, Reb said:

Hi All

I am planning to buy a Birdsall65. I need some documents for the registration.
Builder Certificate, tonnage certificate......if possible all plans - certificate concerning birdsall 65.

Thanks

Doesn't the seller have these, most "big" Birdsalls have been offshore, ( pigiron?) Check with the rego people and give them the NZ No. (if you have it) as they would have it on their paperwork. I know I re-registered my yacht after many years of it not being updated and they re-instated the original No. that it had been registered under.

27 minutes ago, Fern Gosling said:

I'm trying to find information on a yacht I believe is a Beau Birdsall  design called The Huntress

Approx. 44ft loa.

Was in Whangarei. Now in a damaged state further north.

Can anyone help?

Fern Gosling.

Was this boat on trademe a while ago (maybe a year or two, perhaps 3) and a fairly rudimentary boat? predating the other Birdsalls like Focal Point, Pterodactyle, Charlatan and midnight express?

I see the YNZ boat search has a sail number of 52, but no other info. That would indicate it is fairly old. I'm sure I've seen TM ads for it in the past, which would give a lot of info if you could work out how to pull up an old listing. I got the impression the boat was lacking maintenance back then and would need a full refit to be of much use. Given the age and elements of the design I would have put it in the 'not bother' or right it off area. It didn't appear to have some of the classic design elements of Beau's later designs like Rhubarb.

4 hours ago, Fern Gosling said:

I'm trying to find information on a yacht I believe is a Beau Birdsall  design called The Huntress

Approx. 44ft loa.

Was in Whangarei. Now in a damaged state further north.

Can anyone help?

Fern Gosling.

Sailed from Te kouma to Hooks bay(waiheke 23 yrs ago,owned by a guy called "Mid" ,

his girlfriend rambled on how he was a great sailor,comms fisher,He was an absolute dick. Why were we onboard?? went away with friends who wanted to stay on in Te Kouma and we needed to get back for work pybc,basic boat back then,no forward hatch and punching in to sw boat slowly filled up and continous bilge pump going, got to hooks,where crew my wife and I got off caught a taxi to maraeti and caught the ferry home,sat on trademe in Whangarei for months ,maybe 2yrs,not sure if it sold. 

On 21/04/2023 at 12:02 PM, Native said:

Hi All

I am willing to help out with any of the enquiries for Birdsall designs, Bo was my uncle and my father Johnson built and owned Contour of Cuthill. I do have some copies of the plans discussed on this thread.

Hi Native

Does Contour now have new owners after she was on the market a couple of years ago?... (I looked hard at her myself for a while.)

And if you know, what is the back story to the name "Contour of Cuthill"

Hi LBD

Not sure who owns CoC now to be honest, last owner I met was a lively physio type from Epsom way. He loved that boat and coincidentally his wife had spent her summers on my dads previous boat Huntress which her family owned.

Those triple banger names were a fad back then, probably made famous by Prospect of Whitby, Prospect of Ponsonby etc

We built Contour of Cuthill in Cuthill which is between Albany and Glenfield, the Contour represents the lines that define a shape or curves...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Native said:

Those triple banger names were a fad back then, probably made famous by Prospect of Whitby, Prospect of Ponsonby etc

We built Contour of Cuthill in Cuthill which is between Albany and Glenfield, the Contour represents the lines that define a shape or curves...

Thanks... did not know there was a "Cuthill" up that way, figures... bit on the cryptic side, but makes sense.