Interesting stuff on Solo Trans tasman site:

Chewing Gum

Check out other competitors at: (Click on the boat name for info )

http://www.solo-tasman.co.nz/entries/

One of the entrants in this years Single Handed race New Plymouth to Moolooba:

I believe that I’m probably the novice in this year’s race

I moved to Auckland where I got into windsurfing rather than yachting. By 2001 I was becoming keen on some adventure. In December 2002 I got an opportunity to help a friend deliver his boat ,a 35 foot steel sloop called “Kiwi Dream”, from Bluff to Picton.

In April 2003 I helped another friend sail his 48 foot cutter sloop “Lost Horizon”, from Fiji to the Bay of Islands. It took 12 days which felt like forever and a good part of that I felt sea sick. I was wet for the entire time including down below in my bunk and I wore my wet weather gear even to bed. Upon reaching the Bay of Islands I sold my wet weather gear to one of the crew and vowed to never do a delivery again!

Back in Queenstown I concentrated on local Etchell racing. In 2004, I joined a team to race in 2004 Hamilton Island Regatta. Shortly after the Hamilton Island Regatta I decided I wanted to do the Solo -Tasman Race.

In October 2004 I took possession of my first keel boat “Scoundrel”, a Holland 10.5 sloop. This was where the steep learning curve began. In January 2005 I sailed her over the top of the North Island and down to Nelson. We suffered a torn headsail, near collision and four broaches which got me to thinking this wasn’t going to be all that simple. In March we sailed from Nelson to Milford Sound. Apart from anxious moments avoiding many dozens of trees a good distance off shore, it was a very enjoyable experience.

Scoundrel has been based in Milford Sound the last 2 years but recently I sailed back to Nelson on my own. The autopilot failed on the first night and as the conditions at the time where a bit severe to turn back I pressed on for Nelson. It took 3.5 days and I got only 5 hrs sleep, hallucinated, had temporary electrical failure, engine concerns and only managed to eat 2 apples and 1 banana the entire trip. It had been tough but a superb learning experience.

I am really looking forward to this years challenge and also meeting up with my fellow competitors. I may lack the experience of the other sailors but I’ve plenty of tenacity. See you in New Plymouth.

Also:

"Trish will be sailing her 25 foot Reactor"

http://www.trishlewis.com/

Archived