I think I just blew $250 on a Cooker

Terry B

The more I learn, the more I realise that I know bugger all............ long story (relatively) short:

Old 2 burner hob (no oven) packed up............ it was attached to a gimbal device so I had to buy a replacement roughly the same size. Found a stainless steel one at Mitre 10. Bought it, got an engineer to rivet it to the gimbal. All is good.

Until I start talking (should remember to keep mouth shut) to people in the gas industry...... who give conflicting advice on whether the 2 burner should be lo-pressure (with regulator) or hi-pressure (no regulator). Now I'm worried 'cause what I've got is a camp burner outdoorsy thing - no regulator and it's hi-pressure.

Ooooh, and as my old girl (boat, not wife) is 35 years young and was built when gas wasn't dangerous (????) the bottle sits in the galley below the cooker in a cabinet (not vented). But I do have a gas detector.......so that I can tell when to panic............

Any experts out there can offer advice - or give me the name of a marine gas fitter? If I've bought the wrong thing I can't take it back with rivet holes all over it! Maybe I should buy a tent to go with it and just go camping ???!!!

HHHHhhhhhheeeeeelllllpppp!!

Well it doesn't matter about the pressure as long as you are using the camping bottles that go with it. You can not use the standard 9Kg bottle.

As for having the bottle inside and not vented, you can get away with it, but it's like winning Lotto. You may never win it, but then....somebody does. So how do you rate your chances.

Had a mate who had the gas bottle by the stove on his boat, the authorities

(cat 1) thought it was OK as the cook turned it on at the start of cooking and off when finished, whereas if it was outside and it was wet and windy you might just decide that it will be ok to leave it on for the night.

Ummm, don't know how he got away with that. You have to have it in a locker that must drain overboard. You must be able to independantly turn the Bottle on/off from the Galley in the event of a fire. I supose technically the botle by the cooker means you can turn it off from the galley, but in the event of a fire, can you get to the bottle would be my concern.

Wheels, when you say "Well it doesn't matter about the pressure as long as you are using the camping bottles that go with it. You can not use the standard 9Kg bottle."

what does this mean? The Mitre 10 sells the cooker with all size gas bottles..........are you saying that as well as size differences that there are 2 types of bottles??

the bottle I have is only 1/4 the size of a 9 kg one (no room for anything bigger).

And does anyone know a "marine gas installer" type person? I don't like playing about with gas -

Yours confusedly,

Terry

The bottle that probably came with the camp cooker will have it's own unique fitting that fits that hose that comes with the cooker. Instead of a regulator, they have a very small pin hole that allows a set volume of gas through instead of a regulator that you would find on say, a large BBQ or boat Oven with multiple burners. The difference is that the regulator can privide a greater volume of gas no matter how many burners you have and where you have the "loud knob" turned on each one. The small camping cooker tends not to have the same controll and is usually capable of running the two small buners only.

You do not need a Gas installer for one if these. You should have a set length of hose that comes with the cooker. That hose is not supposed to be any longer than as it comes. So the bottle is going to have to go where that hose reaches. You could try, biut i don't think you will find anyone willing to lengthen that hose if that is what you intend. The "high pressure" hose is a special "non-breathing" hose and does not allow gas to migrate through the hose. Standard "low pressure" hose is "breathable" to gas and the stuff slowly migrates through the hose. Hence one reason why a long run inside a boat is supposed to be copper tube and hose only in area's that can vent like the gas locker and connects the copper tube to the regulator/tank.

Thanks Wheels. We should be paying you for all your advice!!!

The cooker did not come with a bottle - just the hose.

I take it that the "small pin hole" fitting would be at the cooker end - not the bottle end?

And - for extra safety, would it be worth putting on a regulator anyway? Or would it be incomatible with the hi-pressure system?

The little hole is in that hose and no the fittings are completely different between systems, so you can not interchange, even by accident. Although it wouldn't surprise me if some Darwin award candidate out there may have tried :wink:

The bottle will have to be purchased from Mitre 10 or a camping store. I get mine filled at BOC, but I assume a normal service station woudl fill also.

I think you did not "blow" $250 bucks on a cooker but invested $150 bucks to the supplier, $50 to the retailer, 4$14 to the Govt and the rest to china.

You're right, I've given sterling service to local and chinese industries!! I feel quite proud of myself...........

Big thanks to Wheels for your help. Buying the cooker was a mistake. Still, $250 ain't the end of the world.

For now I'm going with the ultra cheap option - one of those little cookers at $29 that use the gas cannisters (size/shape of a fly spray can). Must be pretty safe gas wise??!!.

Got it wedged in the old cooker spot with a makeshift but secure "fence" to stop pots falling off.

And because they are so cheap (yeah, I know, the gas cannisters aren't - but a $3.50 cannister lasts me a day and a half - not bad) I'll buy a second cooker - in calm conditions at anchor we can double the cooking ability to 2 burners!!! Fillet mignon anyone?

For the amount of cooking I do this will suffice til next summer when I intend to win Lotto............

And heres Ponui on a quiet Thursday evening a cuppla weeks ago.............. sans cooker! But a great week away anyway.

Chamberlins Bay - EMPTY!.jpg

Archived