SIMRAD updates

candela

Forgot to say my Dad has always been pretty anti mulithull, has for decades. The normal misconceptions - they don't go upwind, they don't have close racing, they tip over etc etc.

Afterward we asked his opinion on mulits now:

"yeah they are pretty good racing ay"

"Man, you sure cover some ground quickly"

"Much drier and not as scary as I thought they might be"

"I can't belive we put 30mins on the big 50 footers going uphill form the bottom end"

"Such close racing"

and finally

"If you just race around the place and don't cruise, why would you not get a multi?

Not quite quite a convert, but hes super keen to come back for more racing!

Forgot to say my Dad has always been pretty anti mulithull, has for decades. The normal misconceptions - they don't go upwind, they don't have close racing, they tip over etc etc.

"I can't belive we put 30mins on the big 50 footers going uphill form the bottom end"

"Such close racing"

and finally

"If you just race around the place and don't cruise, why would you not get a multi?

Note to self. Chat to Dave, save him.

"Such close racing"

and finally

Note to self. Chat to Dave, save him.

I would suggest a simple case of lead deficiency Zen, although it is possible that a full intervention may be required. :thumbup:

I wouldn't get too concerned, he is still old and set in his ways, he owns a keelboat, always will.

But at least he has seen the light, he is just happy to stay in the comforting, familiar, darkness

Note to self...

Talk to Dave ... To ignore Steve

There is still hope for Dave, we have raced against each other in monos for decades(we the same age).

I saw the light, and praise the lawd, ah aaammm saaved, AMEN.

Praise the Lawd

Rental Simrad 50

Well our start didn’t go according to plan, the kite halyard got caught at the hounds between the rotating mast and the stays so while Ant was trying to free it the sail slipped into the water. With cam conveniently placed right there with his camera waiting in the hope that someone would give him a photo opportunity, he managed to get some less than flattering shots of us… which seem to have gone global as my inbox this week has been full of emails taking the piss!

Lucky for us the rest of the multi fleet had stayed high and were in quite light air by browns island. We decided to gybe and stay in the pressure which worked well as we cleared browns island in touch with the leaders in our fleet again.

As the breeze died we peeled to the zero and tried out hardest to get the most out of it but it was one of those times where it was hardly worth trying as the whole fleet was just coming down in a big line. Borderline and Voom held very high, they always got the breeze first but then it would die for them and fill down the channel for us so ended up even, finally when the breeze really filled in they were off and jumped out to a hefty lead. We could see it was much lighter inshore to the south so stayed very deep, initial looses but big gains as we came into passage rock in the pressure along the waiheke shore. The bottom end was very interesting sailing for the multis, big puffs then nothing and every boat had its turn at shooting off with big gains only to park again and watch someone else take off. We managed to do quite well thru the passage but the Akarana Express showed good pace and tactics to be the first 8.5 around the bottom on waiheke, closely followed by attitude then us. at this stage most of the boats were still pretty close, with this way up and exodus also pretty close to us. As we cleared the last point it was quite choppy and gusting to 20kts, full main and #2 jib was plenty and we were charging, sending spray flying and taking green water right over the leward hull at times. Attitude managed to pulled away but we closed in on akarana quite quickly and passed them, Voom was staying just a touch higher than us and maybe ever so slightly quicker. Borderline had been messing around with jib changes for a while and dropped back but once sorted they were flying along, higher and faster. Luckily the breeze lifted and we just managed to clear Rakino in one board, this made us round Rakino in 2nd place out of the 8.5s but with borderline and voom right on our transom. Voom managed to sneak past thru the passage and the 3 of us went out into the new breeze for the beat to rangi light within 100m of each other. We could see the black rain cloud coming from the south so knew there was going to be a massive left hand breeze coming and were the first boat to tack into the rangi shore, as predicted we knocked hard and tacked over to be laying rangi light. Voom did a tight lee bow tack and we both made the most of the left hander while borderline stayed further out in the westerly. They didn’t have the option to come back at us without taking a decent loss with the shift so carried on to the north shore bays while voom and us who were locked into e great match race worked the rangi shore. We tacked as soon as we could clear rangi and voom carried on a bit to the mid channel, there was nothing in it as we both pushed hard. Borderline use there speed edge to their advantage and went past us both along the bays but at that stage our main goal had become to beat Voom over the line (im sure his goal was the very similar!!) we both carried on until we could clear north head and tacked, again nothing between the boats. I was trying to come down on him to close the gap so he couldn’t tack and we could take him right to the layline but he just managed to fit a tack in so we ducked and carried on as we thought he would be shy on the finish line lay. Sure enough after we tacked and really pressed on it he was sailing tight to make the line, we came into the finish boat semi out of control and almost flew the hull over their transom and with a big luff on the line beat voom by 6 seconds. What an EPIC race. We just had so much fun and enjoyed the close racing within the 8.5s. Our end result was 4th multihull overall.

That was my longest race in a multihull and to put time on the 50ft canting keel monohulls upwind was awesome, we went around the track 30min quicker in a 30year old 28ft cat! Estimated upwind speeds based on what Voom was doing were 10-12kts.

Finally found my camera, packed with the 3/4 gennicker... :shock: :shock: :shock: Some shots of the Squid hogging the helm, and of a certain yacht that made a great sail choice around the bottom of Waiheke!!

MH Genniker.JPG

Squid-1.JPG

Trimming-2.JPG

More.. That yacht.. and back to earlier in the race when the wind kicked in with the fleet to windward. Caught and passed most of them only to throw it away across the top of Waiheke..

Coppelia.JPG

Fleet to windward.JPG

That looks like the high speed, low drag version of His Squidliness. How much weight got lost before he set tentacle on the Marshall? (I'm guessing not enough to automatically make him bow-bitch). :)

Looking good there Squiddly :thumbup: :clap:

That looks like the high speed, low drag version of His Squidliness. How much weight got lost before he set tentacle on the Marshall? (I'm guessing not enough to automatically make him bow-bitch). :)

Looking good there Squiddly :thumbup: :clap:

Yeah, shared Bow duties Grinna.. He has shrunk though hasn't he!!

And guess who is bow bitch on the Marshall while you're away Smithy? :wtf: Don't worry, we won't thrash it (too much) and we'll bring it back in one piece. :shifty: Of course if it even looks like rain, it won't be going out at all :lol:

Wot?? I told that bugger to get you on the helm, and for HIM to do some foredeck work...... You've been done old son... :lol: :lol:

Enjoy AA. Hope you do better than the first team!

In that last photo with you in it Mr Smithy, do you happen to have just slipped and landed hard on a winch, which got placed a little too deep in to a oriface or is it's Squids driving that is making you look somewhat concerned........ or more frighteningly, somewhat pleasured? :wink:

Wot?? I told that bugger to get you on the helm, and for HIM to do some foredeck work...... You've been done old son... :lol: :lol:

OK hey Squid - did you get that? Apparently I'm not to leave the cockpit :lol: We'll give it our best shot Smithy! :shock:

OK hey Squid - did you get that? Apparently I'm not to leave the cockpit :lol: We'll give it our best shot Smithy! :shock:

Yeah good luck AA. I had to use a winch handle on his knuckles to get him to let go of the wheel....

Archived