The Wild Thing Emporium

Kiteroa

I'm selling some winches to try and offset a portion of the $1000 I paid for the piedy and the subsequent $150 I've spent ripping her apart and taking most of her to the tip.

2 x Lewmar 7's - Pretty good condition. Easily the best thing on the boat when I bought her. Comes with a stainless bracket and portion of rotten deck still attached. $100ea

1 x Maxwell 16. - Reasonable condition $50.

There's also 1 x small bronze old school winch. But I've since taken a liking to it, so might keep it for novelty value. Unless someone really needs it to match another winch on a classic, then we can do a deal.

hi what piedy was it , i built one in the 70's always try to keep track of it ............ cheers

Ah the old Smiler! Nice yellow colour, short cabin if I remember correctly. Nice shape that one. I much prefer the short cabin versions myself also, so nice work building her to plan. I've got Ratz.

So the Maxwell 16's gone to a good home? Any luck on figuring out who the Piedy measurer is Adrian?

Hahaha nice work Adrian! I saw Smiler on Waitangi Day. Looking very much loved up with a nice new yellow paint job. She is moored under the Harbour bridge last time I saw her. The Blue one at Northcote point I believe is Admiral E (the old Alcohol Injected)....actually I think the Blue one off Northcote point is Jasper, Admiral E was moored at Devo on saturday im sure of it

I'd been wondering what the light blue piedy was that has turned up of Devo, certinally looks like Alcohol Injected - why would you change that name! I do remember seeing a Jasper at Northcote in blue so your probably right.

So Max, do we have a new Measurer or am I still the Official Measurer, a role that I was vote into at an AGM about 4 years ago - that I didn't attend :lol: :lol:

there has been no meeting to say that your no longer the Measurer, so I can assume from that fact that you are indeed still the official Measurer! Absenteeism is not a defence!

there has been no meeting to say that your no longer the Measurer, so I can assume from that fact that you are indeed still the official Measurer! Absenteeism is not a defence!

Adrian, since it looks like you're the man, in exchange for some of your vast experience in Piedy measurement, I will give up my highly sought after (4 pawl @ AU$20ea) Maxwell winch. I have a few questions about Ratz and her new rig.

What's with all the Piedy name changing anyway?

Ah the old Smiler! Nice yellow colour, short cabin if I remember correctly. Nice shape that one. I much prefer the short cabin versions myself also, so nice work building her to plan. I've got Ratz.

So the Maxwell 16's gone to a good home? Any luck on figuring out who the Piedy measurer is Adrian?

well well the old girl is still signal yellow, has been for wait a minute 35 years ( sh*t am i that old ) bro and i built her when i was 17 , i think the light blue one with the rudder hung on its arse was tar tar .

we used to get 15 plus all had floppy rigs and were the fastest thing under 30 foot for years

very cool ... thanks for that :thumbup: big guess about the winches , maybe they are a bunch of weight lifters that own it now , she still floats high though :clap:

Not a bad job on the windows for a long cabin boat!

True! I reckon it also comes down to the lower cabin profile. Good builders eye there, Bushman

I'm all about the windows. Townsons and Jim Young designs rely heavily on the windows to look 'right'. Mess with the plans too much and you've got an ugly boat on your hands pretty quickly!

There are some terrible looking Piedys out there solely because their windows are wrong. Fortunately most Young boats come out of moulds, so they are to plan. The wooden Youngs like Positive Touch and Wild Thing were done to plan luckily!

I'm all about the windows. Townsons and Jim Young designs rely heavily on the windows to look 'right'. Mess with the plans too much and you've got an ugly boat on your hands pretty quickly!

There are some terrible looking Piedys out there solely because their windows are wrong. Fortunately most Young boats come out of moulds, so they are to plan. The wooden Youngs like Positive Touch and Wild Thing were done to plan luckily!

about those Piedys with the weird windows , ( won't name them but ) we set in the rules that the boats had to have the windows and cabin top to class rule ( the rule that was in force in the late seventies ) basically because a couple of boats were built with different windows ( angles not curves ) andrew took it a bit to heart claiming tim was just being picky ( both had top boats at the time ) but the rule stuck and i think even a template was available , but as I look at pictures of the piedys they do differ a lot ..... shame ..............still the best bang for buck on the water though :angel:

Archived