I would appreciate your views

Scoma

IMHO

Looks very similar to a Farr 1020, and about the same price.

A Farr 1020 would be better to on sell. There is not much history (racing or otherwise) on the White 32. I ndon't think many were built.

Lionmark is a White 32 - I'm biased of course but I do think they are a good boat - that does seems a nicely setup example. Buy it and go racing so I have someone to chase!

The price on trade me does put it into the 1020 sort of price bracket - They are similar lengths but the 1020 is quite a bit bigger all round for cruising and has all the advantages of class racing, resales value etc so I would expect the White to cost less. Going the other way the White 32 is 10 years newer than the newest 1020 (I think). Depends how you view things - they are all old boats now so it depends how they have been maintained. As much as I like to see a sistership sell for a high price I'd say the price on the White is too high at 85K.

From a racing perspective the White is competitive with the 1020's and should be quite a bit quicker than the Lotus 9.2 - though on racetrack the "Kirsten J" seems to be something of a rocket amongst the 9.2 fleet...

Hi all

Thanks for your views and comments. I am more interested in cruising and although I have done some racing as a crew member I do not think I would give you a worthy challenge Lionheart

Good point about the resale.

I would say if you like the White 32 go for it

Yes you may be able to buy a 1020 for that money but it will have been raced hard and well overdue for a refit (read big $$$ )

85k is the asking price so offer 70k and you may get it for 75k

it appears to not need alot spent on it and its always cheaper to buy a good one than a roughy thats in need of $$$$$$$$$ "IMHO"

it appears to not need alot spent on it and its always cheaper to buy a good one than a roughy thats in need of $$$$$$$$$ "IMHO"

I have a mate who would agree with that 100% if knot more. As he does spend a lot of time in K Rd and Fort St he should know.

Remember that a 1020 in that condition would be 105-110k, as mentioned earlier the 1020s that are below 90k are generally the bottom end and require time and money to get up to the condition the White 32 is in. Looks like a nice boat to me.

Nice boat. but one thing to remember.... it's only 32 foot long.

thus... as a rough guide.

a Y88 is 29' (ish) long and you can get a nice one for $53k thus $6022 per metre.

a White 32 is 9.6m thus $8854 per metre.

The ability to cruise in both are very similar.

theY88 is a better race boat and better re sale.

the y88 is easier to get good second hand sails... and has a more active fleet.

the White 32 is a bit bigger?

a 1020 at $100K is about $9803 per M and the keel and half the hull rips out when they hit the rocks (Thoms rock) :wtf:

Tough call!?... nah! a Y88 is a good deal.

Got a hell bargain with mine 30ft boat then, less than $3000 per mt and can beat 88's.......... well at least 1/2 of the3m most of the ime and some of them 1/2 of the time :)

Very interesting way of looking at it STS. I quite like that, even more after working out the above :lol:

Can I beat W32's. Any in Akl I may have played with?

an Y88 is i think longer than 8.8 meters long more like 9.1m

even better :thumbup:

Mind you a ros 9.30 for 40k is a very good deal!... see trademe... $4300 per metre! but then you have to look at volume, motors and the comfort factor if just cruising.

Price per meter isn't really a good way to judge boats - they are not like buying lengths of pipe. I don't think the 50K 88's are competitive racing wise they seem to be more like 80K (I think).

KM - re your performance vs White 32's, I've never encountered or even heard of another White 32 racing (apart from Lionmark): racetrack has you faster than us but our head 2 head is 3-zip to Lionmark - Simrads I guess :-) I suspect this just means we like being short handed in 20 plus knots a little better being heavier.

I'm sure that the boat could go quite a bit faster than we sail it currently, we still learning how to get it going properly. There seem to be about half a dozen White 32's around Auckland - a bunch were sent to Japan apparently too.

Price per meter isn't really a good way to judge boats - they are not like buying lengths of pipe. I don't think the 50K 88's are competitive racing wise they seem to be more like 80K (I think).

KM - re your performance vs White 32's, I've never encountered or even heard of another White 32 racing (apart from Lionmark): racetrack has you faster than us but our head 2 head is 3-zip to Lionmark - Simrads I guess :-) I suspect this just means we like being short handed in 20 plus knots a little better being heavier.

I'm sure that the boat could go quite a bit faster than we sail it currently, we still learning how to get it going properly. There seem to be about half a dozen White 32's around Auckland - a bunch were sent to Japan apparently too.

Price per metre is a guide only.

Is there a easier way to compare?

Trade me has several Y88's around the 50-60K mark and Most are competitive.

Price per metre is nonsense. Boats go up in price probably by some exponential or squared law.

A bigger boat of similar level of fitout is more expensive per m than a smaller boat ie. As boats get bigger, they get more expensive per m

P class - 2m, $5000, $2500/m

40ft Cruiser - 12m, $200,000 - $16,667/m

Alfa - 30m - $6,000,000 - $200,000/m

If the last Simrad, highly possible. We love a good breeze but at totally toasted if there is any bashing into big waves in said breeze, just a complete dog in that stuff and there was way too much of it for our liking last series. But nice to know I have another target to run down. Standby I'm coming at ya :) :)

I'm sure that the boat could go quite a bit faster than we sail it currently, we still learning how to get it going properly.

Same with us. Still learning and have yet had a chance to fit the go fast gear. Looking forward to seeing what difference all that makes.

STS - Motoring a 930 is faster, cheaper and more efficient than a 88. The only downside of the outboard is a bit more noise unless you have one of the newer 4 stokes (sh*t they are quiet) and it makes having a walk thru transom harder (but watch this space). But motoring wise I'd take any 88 anyday in any conditions comfortably with mine boat. Those running 8hp 2 strokes class minimums are probably a lot closer in motoring performance. I have a 9.9 hi-thrust Yammy with a monster prop, an oldie but a bloody goodie.

Archived