Davidson 41 or something else?

Guzz

Mr Roosevelt used to go very good when it was raced hard in Picton/Wellington in the 90's. The owner replaced it with a Elliott 12 and didn't really go any better!

People are going for internal volume now which these boats lack, The D35 and D37 are higher volume designs of his for the length.

in 1987 I had a choice of what to build a Dav 42 or a Ross 40 and I chose the Ross. Never regretted the decision, although did discover first keel was built light, so second keel made the boat.

All these boats you are considering are old now and my advice is spend the money on a rigorous survey and investigate all defects with professional advice

so you dont get any nasty surprises. Conversely if you know the issue, then you can factor into the price etc

Fantail was one of the prettiest & hottest boats around in it's day,(was it late 70's 80's?) can't remember..but do recall it was skippered by Jonny Lasher, with a hot shot crew of Joey Allen & Earl Williams.. They were pretty much untouchable.. these boats are now getting on a bit ... and lots of due diligence is required before letting your heart get in the way of reality ...

in 1987 I had a choice of what to build a Dav 42 or a Ross 40 and I chose the Ross. Never regretted the decision, although did discover first keel was built light, so second keel made the boat.

All these boats you are considering are old now and my advice is spend the money on a rigorous survey and investigate all defects with professional advice

so you dont get any nasty surprises. Conversely if you know the issue, then you can factor into the price etc

Couldn't agree more. Even boats of this age in really good nick can give you a few nasty surprises and the dollars can pile up real quick. :oops: :oops: :oops: A $150K purchase can rapidly turn into a $250K investment!! They are still cool Kiwi boats though and I hope that new owners keep spending on them to keep them up to scratch. Nice to see Provincial Cowboy (Ross 40) getting attention lavished on her. Ditto Urban Cowboy with a new keel.. And for those that thing the Davos are slow, beware them in an upwind dual. A well sailed Davo 42 is hard to beat upwind in a blow. Check out Spitfire's Coastal result this yeah with doggy old sails...... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anyone know where Jesse James has gone?

Couldn't agree more. Even boats of this age in really good nick can give you a few nasty surprises and the dollars can pile up real quick. :oops: :oops: :oops: A $150K purchase can rapidly turn into a $250K investment!! They are still cool Kiwi boats though and I hope that new owners keep spending on them to keep them up to scratch. Nice to see Provincial Cowboy (Ross 40) getting attention lavished on her.

"lavished"....?!

Dammit I have told you before Smithy09, my wife reads this stuff!

I am just fixing a few things and adding a few basic necessities....

Actually I am considering adopting the line - "you think that's expensive, you should see what Smithy spent!!!"

Couldn't agree more. Even boats of this age in really good nick can give you a few nasty surprises and the dollars can pile up real quick. :oops: :oops: :oops: A $150K purchase can rapidly turn into a $250K investment!! They are still cool Kiwi boats though and I hope that new owners keep spending on them to keep them up to scratch. Nice to see Provincial Cowboy (Ross 40) getting attention lavished on her.

"lavished"....?!

Dammit I have told you before Smithy09, my wife reads this stuff!

I am just fixing a few things and adding a few basic necessities....

Actually I am considering adopting the line - "you think that's expensive, you should see what Smithy spent!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: And the sad thing is, you would be right!! Lavished can mean just working on it, not ness spending cash...... (Tui Ad here)

Archived