Volvo Ocean

wheels

Wooohooo!! it's coming back to Auckland :clap:

Tell me though, how will having a Stop Over for the race create jobs and can anyone tell me how it will Earn the country $50Million as John Banks suggests.

I thought that we had just put our hat in the ring for 2012, not sure if it had been confirmed that they will stop over.

Hope so, great opportunity to get up close and personal with these magnificent machines and top class sailors

I was also thinking there has always been the opportunity to see these boats as well 3021.

They didn't stop coming to NZ, you just had to come to Wellington.

yep Wal, he just a bitter twisted little man with a chip on both shoulders...

As to us Jaffas, I was one of many who flew down to Wellington the cheer the last Volvo boats into Wellington, had a brilliant day and night (raced on Zana in the midweek race), great times....didn't meet any Jaffa haters either.

Maybe you not get the national tv in parts of Wellinton, there was extensive coverage on both TV1 and TV3

Grow up, lose the chip on both shoulders. Resume dribbling from both sides of your mouth.

I really must apologize for the use of language in my previous post.

I left out 'tiny minded'

All bickering aside, it's going to be great, I guess there's going to be in port races? maybe make a division for them in the Wednesday night racing? Probably won't get them in a rum race though...

Hopefully they'll do a pro-am race as well, that be a good prize to get hold of Mr Crew.org!!!

Anyone else heard anymore rumours about a NZ team?

I wonder if they think I'm important enough??

ETNZ never invite me to their press conferences, I generally get my news about what they are up to by reading it here :lol:

Puma is back

PUMA® ENTERS VOLVO OCEAN RACE 2011-2012

Sportlifestyle Company to Compete Again in Around-the-World Ocean Race After Placing 2nd in the Last VOR

Herzogenaurach, Germany/Boston, Massachusetts – (April 8, 2010) – PUMA® announced today it will participate in the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-2012 after placing 2nd overall in the 2008-2009 competition. The race, known as the “Everest of sailing,” begins in October 2011 in Alicante, Spain and ends in Galway, Ireland in June 2012. The eight stopovers in between include: Cape Town, Abu Dhabi, Sanya (China), Auckland, Itajaí (Brazil), Miami, Lisbon and Lorient (France). The PUMA Ocean Racing team will once again be under the leadership of Skipper Ken Read. PUMA continues to produce and expand their line of sailing performance gear and remains the first Sportlifestyle company to participate in a venture of this kind. PUMA will also be the official supplier of all Volvo Ocean Race merchandise.

“We are proud of PUMA Ocean Racing’s success in the last Volvo Ocean Race and look forward to the adventures this next race will bring,” said Jochen Zeitz, PUMA AG Chairman and CEO. “Both the team and the company hope to leverage the key lessons from the last VOR campaign in order to continue spreading the good will of the program and PUMA worldwide. The Volvo Ocean Race is one of the world's iconic sporting events. It proved to be an extremely successful marketing tool for us and an important launch pad for the sailing product category. We look forward to building the sailing category even more throughout the next race, as well as expanding into other forms of outdoor lifestyle ventures.”

For the 2011-2012 race, PUMA Ocean Racing has proudly partnered with BERG Propulsion, one of the world’s leading designers and producers of Controllable Pitch Propellers for commercial shipping. BERG Propulsion products are designed and engineered with the reduction of adverse environmental impact in mind, striving to bring fuel savings and environmental benefits to every product. This commitment to sustainability and strive for high performance makes them a perfect partner for PUMA. The team will be known as PUMA Ocean Racing, powered by BERG Propulsion.

“This is a key addition to our campaign,” stated Antonio Bertone, Chief Marketing Officer, PUMA AG. “BERG CEO Hakan Svensson and his entire company are a perfect fit with our operation. As a life-long competitive sailor himself, Hakan understands the sport, the race and how BERG can utilize the race to help build and market their global company.”

--more—

Hakan Svensson, Berg Propulsion Chairman and CEO stated "Our company is very excited to be a part of the VOR this year and we are especially proud to have the opportunity to partner with PUMA. We view the race as a perfect symbol for what Berg Propulsion represents: global perspective and reach, an emphasis on quality, reliability and a desire for excellence achieved through a strong TEAM spirit. Very much like the shipping industry, the Volvo Ocean Race is about performance on a global arena and this is directly applicable to our customer's situation, who are also out there 24/7 under very tough conditions. We will do our absolute best to support Ken Read and his talented crew in their efforts to be the fastest around the world."

Team selection efforts are already underway and will likely include a number of sailors from PUMA’s 2008-2009 team, plus a mix of new and veteran talent from the professional racing world. Training will begin onboard PUMA’s il mostro in Spring 2010 at the team’s homebase in Newport, Rhode Island.

Skipper Ken Read, considered to be one of the world’s most accomplished racers, was in charge of PUMA Ocean Racing and at the helm of PUMA’s il mostro throughout the entire Volvo Ocean Race 2008-2009. The U.S.-born Read has twice helmed America’s Cup programs in 2000 and 2003 and was named “United States Rolex Yachtsman of the Year” twice and has 46 World, North American and National Championships to his credit.

“This last race was an amazing journey for me personally and for our start-up company PUMA Ocean Racing,” said Ken Read. “To have the opportunity to continue where we left off is a dream come true. For PUMA to want to come back to this adventure is a testament to the event itself and to the entire PUMA Ocean Racing team past and present. We look forward to the challenges that lie ahead both organizationally as well as competitively.”

PUMA is committed to working across the globe in sustainable, creative and innovative ways to lessen the impact on the environment and to give back what it takes from the planet by seeking to reduce its carbon footprint in all areas of business. The sportlifestyle brand’s entry into the Volvo Ocean Race is compatible with this mission, as sailing is considered a ‘clean sport’, using only the wind to harness the power needed to race across the world over the course of nine months.

The entry into competitive sailing extends PUMA’s focus into premium lifestyle sports – a category PUMA has forged through its Formula 1 partnerships and other Motorsports collaborations such as Ducati and Ferrari, and the launch of a sportlifestyle Golf collection in 2006.

Looks like Team New Zealand are lining up to change their name to Team Spain.

translation

Team New Zealand team will participate in the next edition of the Volvo Ocean Race around the world with stopovers, under the banner of the Real Club Nautico de Palma. The agreement to be present in this race, as Nautical Gazette has learned exclusively, occurred at a meeting held two days ago.

The project will have financial support from the Camper shoe Majorcan firm and its details will be presented at a press conference to be held next Monday at the Real Club Nautico de Palma.

This is the first time the New Zealand team led by Grant Dalton, participate in the Volvo Ocean Race. Team New Zealand team is one of the most prestigious in the world and has a great track record both in the Copa America and in the circuit MedCup TP52 class.

One of the novelties in the course of the race, which will end in Alicante and Galway (Ireland), is the inclusion of the Port of Auckland (New Zealand) and Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, a logical situation confirms participation team kiwi. "

According to sources consulted by Nautical Gazette, the company will be hosting Mallorca Camper main investment project with a "very high", that is encrypted in the absence of official confirmation in about 20 million euros.

To corroborate this information, would be the largest investment firm in a sports sponsorship Balearic. As of Monday we will know for how long is committed to supporting the TNZ Camper, but everything points to be a minimum of three years.

JULIO GONZÁLEZ / JOSÉ LUIS MIRÓ - http://www.diarioderegatas.es

TNZ is now a confirmed starter in the Volvo with Dean driving.

Will be branded 'Campers'. Some sort of footwear apparently.

Be sailing for both the Spanish club and the Squaddy.

Archived