Thoughts on RPNYC 2010/11 programme

Hey Guys,

Me and the Sailing Committee are just starting to put together the programme for the 2010/11 RPNYC season, and we're keen to get your thoughts.

In particular:

Settlers cup race back from the sounds to Wellington Monday immediately after Nelson? Part of the offshore series?

Any appetite for an xmas/NY race up the east coast of the north island somewhere?

Other thoughts?

Cheers

Tim

We're interested in all aspects of the programme, ranging from inshore, rum racing, twilight, two handed etc.

Also, if any other clubs have determined dates of key events for next season that we should be considering, please let us know.

Cheers

If you fellas and fellaess's down there like short handed racing I would suggest you take a suss of the Weiti Boating Club format they ran this year.

http://weiti.co.nz/NoR_Pages/2009-2010/SAILUTIONS%20SHS%20NoR%202009-2010%20NoR.htm

It was bloody good with a mix of short handed race formats. Some for the loners, some for those with only 1 mate and even some where was a slim chance of spotting a hot chick in a bikini. Having done big piles of short-handed over the years this was by far one of the best formats for a Series I've seen and done.

Most of the courses we in the 20-30 mile range so gave everyone a chance to stretch their legs and for one or two of us, OK only one of us, time to make up for crap starts :?

Haven't spoken to anyone in the Series who didn't like it. One or 2 boats weren't that happy but when they get faster than me they may change their mind ;)

5c worth from Nth Harbour Country...KNOT fecking Auckland!!!!

A number of thoughts. 1 Night races should not be around unlite buoys. 2 friday night night races should be scheduled where posible for full moon. Ditto offshore races, even if we have to start at say 1700 or perhaps a bit earlier once in the season 3 Agree with suggested timing of Settlers Cup. 4 Not sure about timing of an East Coast race - I want to complete a Gisborne race, but it seems there will not be support for something over Xmas/New Year? 5 I would enojoy a non-standard tide race through Cook straight so long as it was daylight. 6 Great to see that this is being thought about

cheers

Sunshine, how would the Settlers Race fit with the Nelson Regatta? It would be good to encourage more Wellington boats to stay down for that, and for more Nelson boats to come up for the 'Line 7'. What about a race back following the Nelson Regatta?

Ok Sports Fans

Any appetite for an xmas/NY race up the east coast of the north island somewhere?

Didnt RPNYC pull the pin on an East Coast race last Xmas, Saying the owners werent interest because it was too close to Xmas and new year ?? - Tell me if Im wrong

Great idea to race East coast, If a date is set and the race is part of the series with multiple pionts up for grabs, then boats need to start if they want the silver

Settlers cup race back from the sounds to Wellington Monday immediately after Nelson? Part of the offshore series?

Cook Strait race and Settlers Cup back from the Sounds are hardly offshore races If you want to improve the quality of the offshore racing fleet and crews, You need to send them somewhere, - even at night, in the dark

I dont know what starting arrangements were this year, How did it work ?? - In the past this type of race has been kaos with moving start lines with only one defined moving end. If you can't have a fixed (Anchored) designated start/finish boat or shore based starter/finisher with a well defined start and finish line, Maybe it shouldnt be considered part of a series ?? Very hard to get organised in say "The Sounds" - But a race that doesnt count for a series Yes go ahead

Maybe 1/2 point for short drag races like Settlers Cup (If this type of race must be included) and double points for races "In The Dark" (unless of course its a full moon then 1 3/4 pionts) Triple points if an east coast race can be run ie Gisborne Akaroa Tauranga Lyttelton - All time consuming for all invoved

Ok so its expensive and time consuming to keep boats up to Cat 2. and in offshore race trim. ( Down grading race cat. to entice entries is another chapter)

The races will get shorter and the crews less experieced (Poster Wainui above)wanting to start offshore races on a full moon)

Has the downward spiral already begun ???

The Main Trouble is That There is just not enough time anymore or $$$

Thoughts ???

Well Ive crapped on long enuff - Time for someone else

D

How about a series for pre 1945 ( or some other cutoff date) yachts, using the Rona trophy to try to give the old timers something to race for.

Every 2 weeks on a Sunday or something to not clash with other racing, so crew would be available.

Set a lower max wind limit.

Shorter harbour courses only.

Hi

My full moon comment that Limitdown has picked up on was made solely because it is enjoyable - not easier. One of my best sailing memories is racing back to Ships Cove from the Chetwodes at night with a full moon and the spinnker up - fabulous.

Cook straight tides - we did a daylight offshore through Cook St against the tide last season - diferent thinking is required and it was enjoyable

Cheers

Come On Wainui, Fess Up - You're Scared of the dark

"Night races should not be around unlite buoys"

I would enojoy a non-standard tide race through Cook straight so long as it was daylight.

Dont worry Wainui you'll get there, Youve just got to start doing it

Dont Look, Feeeeel

L. D.

PS . Cray Pots dont come out at night

Archived