This Weekend's Achievements

had the combined weiti gh winter race.nice sunny 5-10knots. good close racing with it being abit too close at times. with a little bit of carnage! to put it lightly we were in the wrong and demolished the prod..

Wild thing was honking along and chasing a 45fter all the way to the finish. with whats news not far behind. But im sure we will get a write up form WT anyway..

even got some work done on the little 3.7 yesterday!

Spent a few hours today long boarding the gunnels on Ratz and tidying up coves and radius's ready to skin the deck in glass. Scraping back the topside paint for the gunnel taping and found another soft spot. Usual case of 2 forward, 1 back on the rat. Surely this will be the end of the rot discoveries.... There's hardly any old boat left!

Rotten Rat..jpg

Once I've got the deck, cabin and cockpit glassed I'll turn her over and re-skin the hull. 75% of the ply below waterline is shot so better to turn her over for that. She has some pretty funky shapes under there also that I'd like to change.

Well, this weekend was...good... nah... great... nah, AWESOME!

Christina handed in her PhD thesis.

So we went sailing together for the first time this summer :) (it's only my third time this summer also)

Managed 7.1kts in about 6 knts of breeze averaging 0 knts.

And even got a sunburn of freedom :)

Defence on Friday 13 September...party on the 14th if anyone is around.

She already hand sanded the little one twice over, I think I'd be pushing my luck!

Still, it'll be a little ways off before we break out the long board... maybe she'll have forgotten by then?

Went snorkelling... was reinstalling a lifeline, and managed to drop the clevis pin out of a swageless fork, overboard. The thought of a $25 fitting rendered useless by something sitting less than two metres from the boat (OK, vertically) was rather galling, so back at low tide. Bloody cold in the Basin, 2 foot vis (once the murk had cleared) and I had to stream a line from the mooring to stay in position. Thirty hypothermic minutes later found the bastard item, mostly buried in the silt, just as I was about to give up.

Back onto the inside for some additional stiffening in preparation for turning her over this Friday. Time to rip the bottom off her now.

Anyone with a good back and a taste for free rum and cokes should attend.

Photo0895a.jpg

From what I've seen on other boats, the rules must be pretty loose on interior structure. The rules used to be pretty tight 15 or so years ago, but they've been relaxed somewhere along the line. Not sure if it's a good thing or not! I guess if some boats can have open transoms, long cabins and ugly windows then a few frames on an otherwise 'to plan' looking Piedy shouldn't be too wide of the mark :lol:

Was aiming for somewhere around 4:30 - 5pm depending on how people are placed. Bring Magnus, then we can stand around drinking rums while he flips her over by himself!

Boat is in my back yard, Te Atatu Peninsula, West side.

Sunday was red-letter day - actually went sailing.

Having got the stanchions and lifelines reinstated, I decided to bite the bullet and use the craft as god intended... regardless of the internal mess from the ongoing DIY and a whole heap of stuff still to be done.

First time single-handing anything bigger than a Laser, but then again at only 6.5 there's not a lot to handle :)

Very long chug down the Kerikeri Inlet exercising the tiller pilot, before getting sails up, moseying past Doves Bay, and turning the corner for an absolutely glorious downwind blast up the Te Puna Inlet. Decided to park up in a bay on the southwestern side of the Purerua peninsula, but having restarted the outboard and nosed into wind to get the sails down, was shocked to discover the stream of cooling water had stopped. Shut down again REAL quick and the anchor heaved over the side. When tentatively restarted a couple of minutes later, once boat safely tethered to seabed and not going anywhere, the stream reasserted itself. Whatever it had ingested, must have been blasted through.

Lurked there for an hour or so to the let the tide come back up in the inlet, and was then confronted by an inconvenient truth: A downwind blast one one direction necessitates a long beat to get out again. Tacking practice, ha: will not be winning any races with the current technique. Was VERY happy to turn the corner again into what was now a blast of a reach towards home.

Another long chug back to the basin... next time will attempt to sail more of it, but need to devise a technique for getting sails down in a narrow channel probably without the luxury of going head to wind.

parked.jpg

apart from watching etnz kick or's ass this morning I have just had the worlds most CRAP weekend.

So after losing mast in last simrad, followed by successful protest and redress yay! I manage to contract the worst case of tonsillitis on wednesday. feel like crap, feverous and weak as a kitten, get on antibiotics by Thursday morning. hopefully will come right for the weekend. nup. friday sweating like a rapist and weak as a kitten. its ok because my wife is a great sailor and she can do the simrad with my crew. right until I back the outboard into a f$%king picnic table at GH and break the outboard bracket on Friday night.

game over!

I mean who the F$%k puts picnic tables next to the ramp anyway, is it a boat ramp or a campground.

:x :x