This Weekend's Achievements

Wondering why on earth we didn't go get the boat this weekend. Really don't care that it's a bit lame out there, we just want the boat up here now. Next weekend is not looking great again.

Took the Seagull boat down to Whangamata for her 1st race. Got given a Seagull racing lesson by the old boys though! So We've got some work to do before next time to find another 1.5 knots. Turns out she likes weight well forward, which makes for a cosy ride up front of the forward bulkhead!

Seagull.JPG

Took the Seagull boat down to Whangamata for her 1st race. Got given a Seagull racing lesson by the old boys though! So We've got some work to do before next time to find another 1.5 knots. Turns out she likes weight well forward, which makes for a cosy ride up front of the forward bulkhead!

I got handed a lesson in seagull racing 2 years ago down at the Nelson lakes classic boat event. Le mans start.

family friend was racing , he's in or near his 80's.

' could you help with the seagull race by running down to the boat ?'

'sure , you'll hold the boat, I'll run down , you start it and go'

' well, I was thinking , you could run down to it, I'll start it , and you go'.

' so you say I'm doing the race then?'

'Good , its all settled'.

Some of the boats are quite amazing. Our boat was pretty light and I didn't think our motor was too bad. Was running a little rough at times due to 50 years of grit and muck working through the fuel system. So we were down a little on power cause of that.

But some of these guys had rough as guts, heavy boats and they were smoking! I can't figure out how they were going so quick. So boat 2 will be slightly different in concept. Have to get a good concept going in ply, then build a carbon nomex one for the race. Lot of learning to be done....

Took the love object to Russell and back yesterday.

A complete and utter mind trip, to the point where I've been more or less useless for any productive task today and have instead spent a lot of time watching the video.

Mostly sunny with at worst a hazy overcast and light easterlies.

High point was heading north from Russell across the bay on a close reach, light swell producing a gentle rolling action and the tillerpilot doing all the work... could have very happily dozed off... although I did sit up and take notice when the R Tucker Thompson hove into view...

Didn't quite manage to lay the rock on the western side of Kent Passage and had to tack just as the wind died completely, leading to five minutes or so drifting in random directions... before getting clear, around Motupapa, and a wing-and-wing glide up the inlet.

Think it might be time to 'fess up, I am emotionally involved with the vessel... completely hooked and am still wondering what the hell I was doing with my life beforehand...

thanks Banaari. I'm going to paint the glass to cover the timber and glue. Can't decide whether to use black or white paint. Would like black but worry about the heat being uneven and breaking the glass. The dodger really suits the old girl.

Currently aground in the Pickmere Channel! Decided to conduct a low speed probe at low tide and establish the actual depth limits... seems have found 'em. Deliberately picked an incoming tide so will be free shortly, but the learning here is not to trust the depth sounder in shallow water...

Hope your not still there Banaari! :D

Nope! Put the kettle on and waited.

In retrospect, I _should_ have used the time to go walkabout and see if there wasn't deeper water nearby...

We had a try of the new dodger on sunday... The handholds are a boon.

Bloody nice-looking piece of kit. Well done!

Managed to have a successful first night away on the GBE with my wife and 3yo daughter and it feels like a big hurdle has been crossed!

Cruising a racing cat is interesting. It sure gets you there quick, 2 hours from Northcote to Oneroa downwind was great, but 2 hours motorsailing upwind home was more impressive!

Once we got the boom tent up, which covers the boat from the main beam back, we had a whole new perspective of space!

Also cool to wake up at 2am, to find only 500mm of water under the boat, and then just go back to bed :D :D