This Weekend's Achievements

So far, not being involved in the Classic... continued with some very cool software (see Skunk Works thread...). Then ferried a pile of stuff out to the boat in anticipation of a day's testing tomorrow. At which point I noticed that the damp patch in the carpet observed last weekend hasn't dried up and therefore isn't just some transient spillage. Turns out one of the port keel bolts is weeping slightly. In the midst of my preparations for hari-kari or at least an unpleasantly expensive trip in a travelift, it has dawned on me that this is another situation where having twin keels might save some serious hassle. Casting around to work out which of our acquaintances has suitably flat drying height at the bottom of their garden and might be persuaded to stream an extension cord...

Been out on the water with Team Grinna watching the Tall Ships and doing a spot of fish feeding. As in, Fish taking bait but not taking the Hook. Saw Squid and his beautiful Black Panther, along with many return'ees from the Coastal Classic. Awesome day.

A very successful Labour weekend. Left on Tues, sailed back to Arkles by Thurs. Fri in front of the computer. Sat/Sun cruising around the HG with Angela. Monday sailed to North Head with about 12 newbies and had a big lunch and drank caiparinhas while the ships sailed out, then home. Left after the sales meeting tues got to Tutukaka just after dark, on to Opus Wed, home about 1 hr ago. Damn good fun.

Found out how easy it is to jigsaw a Whale pump, hiding in the other side of a bulkhead, clean in half while wondering 'It seems to be going slow, what's that about?'. Had a moment of brilliance and chopped out another chunk of my boat only to think an hour later 'Wasn't that the work of a right dickhead, what a cock-up'. Bugger!!

Found out how easy it is to jigsaw a Whale pump, hiding in the other side of a bulkhead, clean in half while wondering 'It seems to be going slow, what's that about?'. Had a moment of brilliance and chopped out another chunk of my boat only to think an hour later 'Wasn't that the work of a right dickhead, what a cock-up'. Bugger!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Good Weekend on the water. Tested the latest iteration of the Skunk Works software... getting there. Then, with a view to swapping out a keel bolt this coming Friday, set about doing the necessary to let me dry the beastie out at the "ramp" at bottom of the road. Lots of fun with a stake that has "vampires!" written all over it, some chain and a couple of floats to create a temporary deployable mooring. More fun hanging off this contraption by the nose while vectoring the tail around with the outboard... God I love messing about in boats. Then wasted 90 minutes of my life watching Gravity, which is visually stunning, but has an utterly implausible and ridiculous plotline, even by Hollywood standards.

Highly enjoyable day yesterday drying the beast out at the bottom of the road to replace a leaking keelbolt. Extraordinarily pleased with self - multiple reconnaissance trips at various states of tide and some careful thought enabled me to position her precisely where intended first time; right on the edge of the usable gravelly mud but without blocking the ramp - although as it turns out I had the place to myself all day, bar a few dog-walkers. (Something to be said for the Far North...) Bolt done and dusted, nothing really to do but chill out with the iPod till the tide came back in... life's rough.

IMAG1036_sm.jpg

Had a massive Otto inspired massive brain fart and gutted the middle of my boat completely. Really didn't want to but it seems totally stupid to bring the front 1/3 and the aft 1/3 into 2010 and leave 1980 sitting between them. Ahhhgggggggg....................... There goes any plan of a xmas cruise.

Just done a house auction and came away thinking how f**king stupid we are to be paying what we are for what are essentially sh*t boxes. What I effectively saw was some twat of a family do the equivalent of paying 200K for a R930, sure it had nice make-up and other essentials like 76 iPads connected to 50 black boxes so the driver can watch Days of Our Lives but under all that it's still the proverbial R930. Stupid..... stupid..... stupid. Mind you chatting to the Auctioneer and it seems the LVR is a game changer, possibly a massive one. What he was flicking 4 weeks ago without raise a sweat now doesn't even get 1 bid. I think the timing of this auction was spot on, a week later and it may have been very different outcome.

Not actually achieved yet, but boat came out of the water today and ready for Antifouling over the weekend. It's been three years since last time. Plenty of growth. Prop had Propspeed applied last time and it was actually quite clean with all the propspeed still soundly attached, although getting thin on the "Pushing face" of the blades.