This Weekend's Achievements

Bought another sailing boat. Her name is 'Kiteroa' A little more classy than Wild Thing, with a lot more history behind her. My old man used to race against her back in the 70's. I bought her off Bob Gillies, who has owned her for the last 40 years. Can't wait to trundle down to Taikata this summer and get back into dinghy racing. Of course there will be some serious pre season practise as the 15 strong Taikata Frostie fleet packs some talent. So she'll get a birthday with a new sail, hardware and foils before her first race.

Now where do you buy good furniture polish?

20140809_140314 - Copy.jpg

20140809_135609 - Copy.jpg

A work of Art WT!

They sure have something extra that modern glass/kevlar/carbon boat doesn't....

Yeah a really nice piece of gear. Carbon boats, fair enough. But I've never been interested in fibreglass production boats. I really wanted a zephyr, but the supply of new boats is way too slow, which is driving up the price, plus I don't want to have to keep up with the jones at Murrays Bay etc! $3 rums up the ditch at Taikata. Perfect.

I've raced against Bob and that boat more than a few times, as would a few others on Crew. What number is she? Dad and his token 2nd, that being a young me, sailed Supercraft No.25.

$3 rums... hmm... I have a glass Frosty that may have to pop up for a visit :)

Kiteroa is number 71. My old man used to race against him with #69 back in the 70's. Judging by the volume of silverware in old bob's living room, he had the Frostie fleet under control back in his day.

Yeah that looks like a bit of you Pumbaa. Varnish and stuff like that. Brass cleats too :thumbup:

Nice to know Taikata still enjoying a fleet. That was my first club. The old boy was a foundation member back when the Morris family, Tickle family, Mac Williams and co started it all off.

No rum back then though. Just a picnic lunch.

Have managed to get out most weekends for a bit of practise and to gain a bit of confidence in the old girl. Although last weekend didn't go so well. it was pretty windy, but so was the weekend before and she was doing fine. But this time I got about 20m off the beach and the rudder stock came apart and cracked the top of the blade in the process.

The wooden rig is taking a bit of getting used to. Although the sail matches the rig really well, so maybe it's ok. Really looking forward to the 1st race. Hopefully I don't get too much of a lesson from the regulars!

Yesterday I went sailing.

Bart put the new rig in on Wednesday. Gordy got the boom finished at short notice. Matty G did some fiddly bits. With Rodney yesterday morning we finished running all the other bits of string.

Then we went sailing in a cold and wet southerly.

It's good to be sailing on your own boat again.

Today was a real early start with one Boat back into the tide after it's annual maintenance, bottom job, cut & polish, oil & filters & yes a new freezer compressor. It was then a case of hauling the next boat..my daughters. All went very smoothly...Emer geled the topsides, sanded the bum, shimmed the two blade prop and cleaned up the shaft and prop prior to prop speeding. Tomorrow will be anti foul and boot capping.. Weekend cut & polish, oil & filters... Then it will be time to get out there and use them before the benefits of clean bums are negated. :thumbup: Cheers Courageous & Whiteout..

Completed my first Frostie race down at Taikata. Even if it was the pre season warm up race, I managed to come first, just in front of an 83yr old rocking a grey toupee! Crafty old chap. A real inspiration to us younger fella's. And he's quick too.

So now i've got 2 weeks to sort out my rig issues so I don't too much of a lesson when the rockstars show up!

1115944_720977811315488_397172333444996425_o - Copy.jpg

10704425_720976764648926_3675697420179900833_o copy.jpg

10661816_720978431315426_3513644184975471736_o copy.jpg

OK so this is the achievement of about 4 weekends. Tracking down and buying this. It doesn't look very boaty yet, but that plank is 800mm wide and nearly 9m long, 36mm thick... I'll need to scarf it together to get the 12m I need, but I'm pretty sure that will go without a hitch. FSC Sipo.

DSCN3105.JPG

DSCN3108.JPG

DSCN3116.JPG

Progress is slow but steady. Every month or two, another larger item ticked off the list. In this case, material for keel plank, sheer clamps, floors, and trim. Now needing some timber for stringers. Bulkheads already cut and stacked.

My weekends are Wed/Thurs if I'm lucky. So went up tues night, slept on the mooring. Wed Morning Jim the old/other owner met me and we did oil change/oil filter/air filter/fuel filter/water strainer and heat exchanger zinc and clean.

Then had a few hours of daylight left so went for a romp up and down the bay (couldn't get him off the handlebars, I think he misses it). Back to the YC dock to drop Jim off and top up the water, then decided I didn't want to spend the night on the mooring again so went back out and wound up inside Te Puna inlet (hard to find an anchorage sheltered from the SW forecast to go NW when there was also a 4m Easterly swell). Lovely night. Up at dawn and downwind back to Opua in a gentle 8-10kn.

Now she's all ready for Labour Weekend. Just planning how early I can get away as I don't have to sit in front of the keyboard all day Fri.

Really nothing exciting or newsworthy, but enjoyed every bit of it.

Tired of never having any wind we finally got a trailer sorted and headed 200km down and East across the country to Lac Neuchatel.

As you can see, there was a lot more wind... :cry:

DSCN3154%2Bcopy.JPG

But after looking at the pretty reflections of mountains for almost the whole weekend, we were rewarded with about an hour of 10-15knts on Sunday evening as a thunderstorm came blasting across the lake, giving us the chance, after 3years, of getting the genny up during a bit more blow and having a play. No photos, unfortunately, but at least some fun was had.

But my question is about getting rid of that set of wrinkles in the main, right there where they disturb the flow about 2/3 up. Kind of looks like I need more curve in that part of the mast, but more mast bend is hard to get with the current rig set up. Play with battons? I've tutu'd with that second batton up but no luck. Re-cut the luff?

Trying to avoid drastic things...