This Weekend's Achievements

Trial refurbishment of plastic cowl dorade vent.

Looked like grannies armpits and no longer available to purchase.

Sprayed inside with "Dads" stripper. Hurts like buggery if in contact with skin.

Cleaned with solvent and 3 coats of Rust-Oleum Paint + Primer.

Finished inside with red engine enamel.

Will be interested in how long it will hold up to the weather.

XwXqH1R.jpg

2b37osV.jpg

BP, the Amazing Haste cleaner will literally rid the vent of that sticky pimpled yellow yucky crap.

A little elbow grease and frequent rag changes assist too .

Maybe possible to just clean and then UV seal with Armorall or similar.

The Rust-Oleum sticks like the proverbial and is a all in one system.

Good Job Changed, she looks great! :D

Nothing the size of what changed just did, but might interest some.

Today I removed my boat cupboard lights and replaced them with LED strip lights.

I bought the strip lights on tradme for $20 for 5m. This strip can be cut every 3rd light, and new wires soldered on to the excess to make new lights. The strip is self adhesive.

There is now a strip light in the top of all the cupboards, and under every cupboard shelf. No more dark cupboards!

There is a benefit to these I had not thought about - when you reach in to the cupboard, your hand makes little shadow, as there is no single point of light.

An easy and cheap upgrade - no more head torches at night to find stuff!

Yup, Mr Cule is a great improvement from Mr Leaky and Sticky.

Still he has been there for a few decades and now he is in the bin . :(

Teak stock from BBS Timber, resorcinol glued and filleted corners , tapered plug cutter from Linbide.

Busy weekend as we all know boat work is slow work.

I have yet to get my head around the trim for the interior but Mr Cule came complete with a liner that maybe plastic but I will spray and fit and contemplate its long term future whilst at anchor over christmas.

Job done!

Well done Richard. That is so good and is what was always needed right back from Dodge Taxi days. Stellar job mate, you must be pleased, and I'm sure you will see an improvement in race results due to improved ergonomics.

This weekend's job is to clean out the engine driven fridge system.

The oil is dirty as two of the rubber hoses are disintegrating. Currently the sight glass is opaque.

So,  I've removed the gas, the compressor, the expansion valve, the filter/drier etc. Turned off the electric fridge (as when the system is cold the oil is thick and hard/impossible to remove). Taken off the two dodgy hoses and had new ones made. 

Today I have collected the new hoses and oil, emptied the fridge and freezer, and set up a computer fan to blow warm air into the freezer compartment to help it thaw more quickly.

So now I intend to flush the system with white spirits and compressed air, reassemble, refill the oil with new oil, vacuum it down for 12 hours, then refill with refrigerant. 

It takes a while... and so, if you don't DIY, its expensive! Already at over $300 for the hoses and oil...

• Upvote 1

What a cool Waitangi day, best sail of the season . Don't know what wind strength  it was but it certainly was a lot at times. So good.

We sailed down to Onetangi about midday( shocked by the number of boats but , hey we've spent the whole season away from crowds so not too bad for change,)

later on 'rescued'  a buddies boat dragging out the bay( mission ) arrived back at our boat and had 2 kingfish splash beside us . I went below , fought the rod out, unwound the lure , dropped it over the side and the second it touched the water the fish took it and ran.

Great sail , a mission and a kingy( released), now that's what I'm talking about....

• Upvote 1

Sailed into Whangape harbour a couple of weeks ago, we were heading for the Kaipara, only to hear when we were still north of Ahipara that there were 4m swells forecast to arrive at the Kaipara entrance before we could get there. As we weren't far from Whangape we decided to have a look, the bar looked reasonable so life jackets on, crutch straps done up, (knotme) across we went, no drama, 2m minimum under the keel with 2 hours still to go to high tide. Immediately you are over the bar you turn to port into "Northlands only Fiord" Quite beautiful. Strong current though, as the width probably at the narrowest place is maybe 70 to 80m, with at times 15m depth, the fiord is probably a mile long. It opens out into a large tidal bay (muddy) at Pawarenga with the river winding inland to port, (google Whangape) we motored up the river using the depth sounder to keep us in the channel and came to anchor approximately 3 miles further up it. We ended up spending 5 days in there, and also learnt a new use for our drogue, it was invaluable to keep us in the stream (tidal) of the river. After several low tides where we found ourselves lying over to port we found a hole in a deeper part of the river, (100m x 25m x 4.5m at the deepest part) by streaming the drogue, after the tide started to ebb it kept us in the stream no matter which way the wind blew. We took it in just before low water as it tended to wash under the keel when the tide changed, plus with the incoming tide it wasn't so necessary. Got a good night sleep at last!!

Apparently we were the first boat of any size to come in in the last 40 / 50 years! Going out was a bit more fraught as it had to be on the flood tide which can run in the fiord at 3 to 4 knots, and as there was no cell phone or VHF reception to get a weather report, plus no way of viewing the bar other than sailing/ motoring there, we set off 2 hours before high tide arriving at the entrance 1 hour before, as it is impossible to see the bar until you are almost upon it, when exiting the fiord you have to turn 75 degrees to Stb before you can see if it is passable or not!! in our case, with life jackets on as before, our arrival was an anticlimax, it was like a mill pond, not a speck of white water in sight. So with a good offshore breeze we were away sailing again.

• Upvote 1