This Weekend's Achievements

Ok another weekend done and dusted. Received the new carbon prodder and tube from Jason at Kilwell during the week so first priority was finding center-line of the boat and rigging up a long alloy straightedge with string line coming back to where I needed the prod to retract without using up too much of the space my anchor locker or front berth.

Once I had that sorted and triple checked that when 2 metres out the end of the prod was still on the center-line I set about making some holes.

Firstly in the newly reinforced bulkhead/anchor locker back wall and then rather more carefully in the hull.

It's not until you have to make a nice tidy elliptical hole in something expensive that you realize you have no idea how to mark it out!

In the end I cut an approximate angle in a piece of PVC pipe of the same diameter as the tube, and spent a while grinding it down till it lined up properly. I then scribed around it and went at it with drill and jigsaw. Much grinding and sanding later and it was good to go.

At the same time I finally got stuck into the proboscis that has been bugging everyone since we picked the boat up, too long to be pretty and too short to hang a code zero off so out came the saw!

Prod Locker.jpg

Nose Job.jpg

Prod tube glued.jpg

Well Done!

I must say though, that the "proboscis" would have made a great place for an anchor roller - keeps it away from the hull, and where you can easily see it - but perhaps it would get in the way of the prod? Anyway, gone now!

38°C here this weekend.  Madness set in...

DSCN4013.JPG

DSCN4044.JPG

Was Dr Marino's stag. We set him adrift to see if he could catch some mermaids... 

DSCN4080.JPG

5h on the river, and he didn't catch a thing!!!

• Upvote 1

We went to find the elephants again, but they'd left. Or it was the wrong time of the day.

Currently sliding across the firth , a lovely brisk southerly, I'm hoping we'll bust through the 4 knot barrier.

Shoot, and I thought I was cold. Great shots all right!!.

Because we took the friday and monday off ,( My wife is a teacher)it was pretty leisurely to get to the Coromandel.

Deep cove to ourselves friday night , Rabbit island to ourselves sat night and , for old times sake, sunday night in Te kouma with one other boat . Just superb.

a good weekend for stretching abilities on the storfidra 25

yesterday on a gentle run to rocky bay got to try poling out both genoas off the forestay

this morning on the chicken run back got my first dolphin sighting, learned more about the wind vane and had some "fun" going through the reef at bean rock and picking up the mooring at okahu bay

Managed to hit 16 knts 2 up in about 12 knts of breeze on Sat. 12 knts is about the most we've ever seen on our lake so although it's not a super fast record, it's pretty good for our millpond.

Screen%252520shot%2525202015-07-26%25252

Unfortunately managed to turn the tiller into match sticks when righting from a capsize :(. It must have got hooked on the mainsheet which flipped through on righting and, catching the breeze in the main, just smashed it clean off the rudder box.

DSCN4213.JPG

Did manage to sail the boat back to the harbour though, by carefully balancing the main while holding the rudder box with the other hand. Christina hiking very actively to keep the boat pointing in remotely the right direction.

Need to think of some better design for this. The tiller is supposed to be glued solidly to the rudderbox, but having the ability to lift the tiller and give some space on the tiny deck while dicking around in the common superlight breeze, is really very useful

Ok, less important life type stuff has robbed me of a couple of weekends of what should have been yacht based toil, but we are on the verge of undercoating the 830 now...

Prod tube fitted and faired, stem all cleaned up and toerails made, glued, glassed and faired... getting really good at this sanding lark now ha ha!

Going to jack and chock the hull in the cradle one night this week to ping the waterline, bit of masking and dusting/wiping down then three coats wet on wet of highbuild epoxy primer thinned only just enough to use as a filler coat will be going on cabin, decks and topsides this Saturday. The really neat thing is I then get to sand most of it back off  :thumbup:

20150618_225333_resized_1.jpg

20150616_204724_resized.jpg

20150616_204714_resized_1.jpg

20150629_182556_resized_1.jpg

20150629_191505_resized_1.jpg

20150726_170110_resized_1.jpg

20150726_170022_resized_1.jpg

You guys who do this stuff really are a credit to the NZ sailing reputation! That is a %^$# load of work, same as KM, and others. It all seems to be boats to around 30ft as well.... DIY is not dead, as some would have you believe!

Me and a couple of the crew emptied the 'ship out ahead of pushing her into the shed for keel and cockpit replacement. This week I'll be cutting out the false floor and grinding off the interior gel coat.

Then I made pies roast lamb and vegetable pies for the race management team, but the racing was cancelled, so guess what I'm having for lunch :-)

Yesterday I started chipping away at the rot along the back rail of the nacelle with a Dremel drill, then with a hammer and pinch bar. Tonight I cut a section out further forward with the jig saw - saturated! Ah well - just another deck to build! One day soon I hope to get to the end of pull things apart!

Looking good KM

Glad to see I'm not the only one whom has positioned the outer prod tube as close to deck height as possible!

A lot of boats seem to have them further down which moves them away from the grunty gunwhale/hull to deck join. I was going for maximum strength while not giving away too much anchor locker and front berth headroom...