This Weekend's Achievements

It's still kind of the weekend isn't it?

Convinced Kelsey to come give me a hand to level the old girl up and sort the waterline out. Man the laser made short work of the whole deal! Plenty of time for a pint at the Wade afterwards ha ha

20150728_193313.jpg

20150728_194120.jpg

20150728_195218.jpg

20150728_202119.jpg

Got 4 liters of epoxy hibuild primer which according to the paint shop should have done three full coats wet on wet. .. almost managed 1.5 ha ha. .. I think he wasn't factoring in the cockpit, cabin and decks.

Have to do it all again I guess!

20150801_162929.jpg

20150801_163035.jpg

20150801_163117.jpg

Well... what a weekend!

Crash course in boat spraying and two pack Urethanes resulted in a pretty damn decent looking DIY paint job if I do say so myself.

It wasn't without dramas though, Had to shoot the decks, cockpit and cabin first which was pretty problematic doing it all at once as far as access was concerned. In hindsight splitting the task up would have made more sense but we are in the gun time wise so had to have that all complete on Saturday. 

Sunday a mask up and shoot the hull in white, let it tack off then two coats of Ford 'Toxic'. All going well then noticed a big sag on the starboard side white coat so we opted to finish two coats on the port side then retire to the pub for lunch, to give the stbd side time to harden so we could sand the sag out.

All worked out ok, sanded it out and hand scuffed the entire length, dusted then went to spray. The port side was dry to the touch and looked a million clams and my mate was concerned about drift so he carefully draped masking film over the entire length of it... which promptly sucked onto the paint and imprinted a really neat 'plastic bag' effect on the whole thing.

Soooooo....... another re-scuff then applied two coats to the stbd side and another to the port side. I'm standing there admiring my handiwork and Joel sings out "weve got a runner!" D'oh! another sag on the stbd side right where we had run out of paint and restarted. Nothing we could do about it so packed up and went home. Fortunately the owner of the warehouse is down country till Tuesday so I left everything as it was and returned at 5am this morning, wet sanded the run out, re-scuffed the entire side and dusted it down. Set the lights up, poured out two 500ml cups of slime and found that I was out of standard hardener. I had some fast hardener left over from the primer, did a bit of googling and couldn't find anything re: compatibility so mixed 500ml up with that and intermixed the two cups.... there was no smoke so I bit the bullet and laid it on. All this practice is making a difference to my spraying skill that's for sure!

I cleaned everything up and jetted down to Wairau Valley to return the spray gun to my Autopainter mate at bang on his 0730 start time at work. No harm no foul.

He assured me that the 50/50 std/fast hardener was not only fine, but it's what he would have done on a day like this.

Phew!

20150829_155148_resized_1.jpg

IMG-20150829-WA0005_resized.jpg

IMG-20150829-WA0007_resized.jpg

IMG-20150830-WA0002_resized.jpg

20150830_142207_resized_1.jpg

20150830_142235_resized_1.jpg

IMG-20150831-WA0002_resized.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks great. All we did was go to Motuihe and then Izzy/ motutap, didn't take any wood pigeons , didn't kill any Takahe.

Our buddies walked the beaches and collected about 5 sacks of rubbish to take home and bin. We'll start doing that ourselves after that rather fine example.

with weather decided it would be a good time to do engine maintenance,oil/filter and fuel filter.Ah ha there's zinc in block somewhere,found the plug but no zinc,ok where has it gone too?found greyish remains in water pump so hopefully I got it all out.now have new zinc ready to go in. 

Saturday, spent some time playing with my new toy and Sunday assembled the crew for a working bee on Sundreamer. All ready for Coastal. We were going to go for a sail but 30+ knots wasn't sitting well with the 10 on the Richter Scale hangover from the crew dinner the night before

Westhaven 4.JPG