This Weekend's Achievements

An older southern pacific donut style boat with a centre seat/thwart.  Had a couple empty 23litre tote tanks in the front with my gear bag on top. 2 hp Yammie on the back jumped in and sat on the seat facing towards motor but my bag was pushing me back towards the motor so no clearance to pull start... so I moved sideways to pontoon ( facepalm)... and flipped it over backwards...as I said idiot....don't be an idiot. After almost 45 years mucking about in boats you would think I would have learnt!

Relatively minor sugery.

Poor fitting of the spray dodger frame some 15 odd years ago led to a small soft patch in the cabin top.

After thinking it through a bit, I decided a hole saw was the appropriate response.  4 layers of 6mm ply fills the holes, all now epoxied into place.  Yes, the segments were alternated for seal and strength.  The dry images are of the dry fit - once fit test was done, they were coated both sides with epoxy as the went in. 

Each ply insert is 64mm diameter, so not a big area.

Tomorrow is boatcloth and more epoxy on both sides, paint next weekend, if its fine enough.

IMG_20210612_132326.jpg

IMG_20210612_121320.jpg

IMG_20210612_115748_1.jpg

IMG_20210612_114714_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

20210620_0248.thumb.jpg.60b3ad67f88d6b5caf7e01d580137055.jpg

11.30 Saturday ready to launch

Thought this was worth a mention, a few weeks ago I broke the shaft strut on Psyche or rather it was more likely the result of 40 years of electric sea mice nibbling away. It was discovered hanging down off the shaft during routine clean, possibly been like that for a few weeks! I had planned to replace it with a bronze strut, the process involved getting a pattern, casting and machining which all takes time, and to coincide that with the yard plus the need to be out of the water for the shortest time meant that a lot of moving parts had to come together to make it all work.

A space came up and I hauled on Tuesday with the plan to get back in by Friday for day 3 of the winter series. I hoped to get the strut by Thursday from the foundry which was still cutting it fine but a call from the supplier pushed that back to maybe status and more likely the following week. A bit of hunting around turned up one on the shelf of another supplier for over a $1000 which I baulked at but it also needed machining i.e. Time I did not have, so like any good cheap yachtie in a hurry I decided to build one instead.

Had quick chat with a composite guy who advised making it the same size as the existing one. I made up a pattern on the bench with some battens and filled it with alternating layers of unis and DB, got a phenolic bearing, hot glued it to the fin and long story short laminated the sticky mess, shaped it then put it in the boat Friday lunchtime. This particular style of strut slides up through the hull and usually gets two pins put through, but with a composite one there's no need for the pins. When it was lined up it had to held while the glue went off and once it was solid, I reinforced it inside the boat with multiple layers of DB up the sides. Now it was getting dark but with help from a couple of friends and a lot of swearing about uncaged needle rollers, we got the rudder back in.

At this point I was cold, tired and the forecast for Saturday was somewhere between abysmal and apocalyptic with rain and 40 knots from the north, but there was a glimmer of hope that maybe it might pass by early. The other factor was that the tide was at 14:10 and getting off in time for the start at 13:10 was marginal. But there was a chance so what the hell, usually I get it sprayed but due to time constraints and the yards conditions it was roller time.  I put on the headlight and proceeded to paint antifoul on until midnight! Apart from being a bit unorthodox the headlight method has a lot going for it, you can see every roller mark and deal with it!

Fortunately, one of the crew turned up and proceeded to tell stories and drink beer watching me work (no painting clothes apparently) and then had the very excellent idea at 10 pm to start rounding the rest of the team for Saturday. "Hi are you good to race tomorrow- yes ok well never mind the weather and see you at the boat yard because um er it’s not really floating at the moment" haha! Talk about commitment, we went from skeleton status to full but apparently some had to go rum drinking until 1 a.m. to press gang reluctant members who had made other plans. 

The front went through early and unbelievably it dawned a beautiful sunny day, everyone was there before 12 with the boat on the rails ready to go and after a bit of instruction from the yard captain on safety everyone pitched in to get her rolling into the tide at 12:15- then the three of us on board waited while the rest of the crew watched from shore. To float we needed minimum weight. At the minutes ticked by 12:30, 12.35... nothing but a bit of bobbing around, then at 12:45 with a well timed ferry wash, full reverse and two pushing on the cradle we were free at last! 

One of the club guys kindly rowed the crew out in 2 loads then we were off and on time. No one expected us to be on the start line to defend our position in the series so it was even better that we ended up with a great result and consolidated our lead thanks to a great crew.

Quite an achievement for the weekend, could not have done it without a lot of help (you know who you are :)), btw I'm the new owner of the site and if that Editor guy gives you any grief let me know. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Anchor up Bon Accord 0710, anchor down tutukaka 1430. Not bad for a singlehander in a 25 y o plywood box .

Av. ~7kts?

BP’s form is less ‘box’ and more ‘pencil’

• Haha 1

About that. I left with a reef in main and foresail so was underpowered till about 10 miles from Sail Rock, that was fine as I got to have breakfast and tidy up. Then it freshened throughout the day, probably averaged 8.5 to 9 for the second half of the trip. Saw 11 a couple of times near tutukaka. Certainly shook the cobwebs out and made the 3 day wait at Kawau worth it.

17 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

About that. I left with a reef in main and foresail so was underpowered till about 10 miles from Sail Rock, that was fine as I got to have breakfast and tidy up. Then it freshened throughout the day, probably averaged 8.5 to 9 for the second half of the trip. Saw 11 a couple of times near tutukaka. Certainly shook the cobwebs out and made the 3 day wait at Kawau worth it.

What wind?? down in the firth we had channel 20 bleating 20/25 knt collville meanwhile middle of firth (mania harbour side) zilch.

f3.jpg

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, harrytom said:

What wind?? down in the firth we had channel 20 bleating 20/25 knt collville meanwhile middle of firth (mania harbour side) zilch.

f3.jpg

Started with 15, ended with 25

Three days at Kawau weren't wasted either, enough fishies for 5 meals. Started with fish tacos

IMG-20210619-WA0006.jpg

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Started with 15, ended with 25

Three days at Kawau weren't wasted either, enough fishies for 5 meals. Started with fish tacos

IMG-20210619-WA0006.jpg

water temp 16.2 fish tacos yummy

On 22/06/2021 at 3:32 PM, L00seM00se said:

Got my first ever line honours and win on handicap...(there were only two boats)...(it was the cruising division)...

It is a given that if 2 yachts occupy the same body of water, at least one of them is racing

Doesn't matter if the other knows, or is going the same way, or is even a yacht or even a boat. I raced my wife (in car) back from Sandspit to Westhaven one day, yacht won (long weekend traffic)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Went to replace the vhf antenna in mast cable on Island time. Broke it off in the mast, conduit seems blocked. Rig needs painting as well, so pulled the mast. Disassembled and bought rig home. Spent the last  couple of days removing conduit,  wiring, then sanding and painting. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Sabre said:

So standard yacht maintanance formula applies.

Time, effort and expense expected x 5?

Seems about right! Pic shows mast now with alloy primer and one undercoat,  you can see on the boom on the ground the state of the paint before I started...

20210723_162542.jpg