This Weekend's Achievements

4 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

IT at this rate you are going to run out of jobs soon ( for the uninitiated this is humorous).

Yeah Right! You have owned a boat, right? The jobs list is eternal!🤑

26 minutes ago, Sabre said:

What mast steps are those? Aluminium?

I would like to add some to my mast but there only seems to be nylon steps readily available in NZ and I'm not too sure about their longevity.

Yep, Aluminium. You need to tap and machine screw them on, or use monel rivets. Alloy ones are not strong enough. Heaps of different ones available - like this https://www.fishpond.co.nz/Sports_Outdoors/Sea-Dog-Folding-Mast-Step-Aluminium/0035514328609

7 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Today I learned a new rule that only becomes important when single handed.  Always store the spare toilet paper in the bathroom,  not under a bunk 40 feet away.

brings a whole new meaning to "single-handed"

*stabs out mind's eye*

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Today I learned a new rule that only becomes important when single handed.  Always store the spare toilet paper in the bathroom,  not under a bunk 40 feet away.

Small boats have their advantages.

Ive used the lockdown to make a new Stackpack, and a new dodger. The stackpack came out pretty good, but the dodger is mediocre. Dodger's are hard! First one I've done, another would be better...

Still, passes the time! When it's finished, I might post a pic. Maybe. 

Started building the Mk3 rudderblade for the Noelex today. Centre ply bit, first glass layer, and first ply layer each side all epoxied together. the up-and-down strings are built in too.

Mk3, because the Mk1 was too light and broke, then the Mk2 was indestructible, but a terrible profile, and as aerodynamic as a slightly rounded brick. To be fair, the Mk2 was slapped together mid regatta, then reinforced at home later. Racing performance took a back seat to getting afloat.

This one is being built properly, has a decent profile, and shaped to (about) NACA 0016 section. 

7 hours ago, L00seM00se said:

Got started on replacing my chain plate knees (?). I see some fiddly glassing in my future. 

Interestingly, they had glassed the horizontal piece of ply in completely and then added the vertical piece and glassed it in over top. What resulted was water ingress between the two layers which caused huge voids. I’m planning on putting both bits of replacement ply in first then glassing as one whole unit, unless someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest why they did it the opposite way originally. 

914A966B-BBF4-4B27-A988-40C1F2EA52CC.jpeg

9E822B48-EB80-451B-94EF-5E8E210310D8.jpeg

So the idea is that most of the load is taken by the vertical bulkhead. The deck has not got sufficient strength to hold the load, and it's hard to make it sufficiently strong to avoid significant flexing. In the pics I can't see how/if the chain plate comes through the  deck to this bulkhead? Can you post a pic of the metalwork so I/we can see how the design works to transfer the load?

It also looks like significantly more of the glass and ply needs to be removed. Do you have a moisture meter to make certain it's dry enough to bond properly to new glass and ply? If not, Bunnings have a Stanley one for a reasonable price, or if you are in Auckland you could borrow mine.