This Weekend's Achievements

So I chopped and channeled the old bus with a bit of help from my friends, lockdown therapy.

IMG_0103.jpg

What started out as a relatively simple remove the back coaming job to make it easier to get in the dinghy got hijacked by "friends" who happened to turn up as I was setting up to finish the job and said Dont stop there, the transom is only 200 away! Me with grinder in hand, them on dock watching, result big hole in boat!

Totally unprepared for the major but with some tips from people much cleverer than me and entertaining the whole pier who also offered plenty of free advice about 30 times a day🤣 I managed to get it boxed in before the rain today, plenty of finishing to do.

IMG_0138.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Weekends, lockdown, no coastal classic, reading... 

I found this in storage and read it again. It's an absolutely fantastic read.

The ship is also attributed with being responsible for bringing the 1918 influenza Pandemic to New Zealand.

image.png.151b8875cc60623b3a89f4b91e93fe35.png

https://www.seatech.co.nz/products/deep-water-gold-by-keith-gordon

Deep Water Gold is the complete story of RMS Niagara, a famous Pacific liner sunk in 1940 with eight tonnes of gold bullion off the Northland Coast of New Zealand by the German raider Orion. Keith Gordon links past with present in his story of the Niagara, the German raid, the epic gold salvage ventures and exploring the shipwreck in deep water.

Screenshot_20211024-164122_Boating.thumb.jpg.7e38bae3b0a378c5f2b517a4ea4d1e62.jpg

image.png.0a0c9585680d1ee10229331a81f1f3e7.png

5 bars of gold remain unaccounted for

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/sunken-treasure-beckons-again/YGVNDFPFUD3JAHFBCIU676EBNQ/

An environmental disaster waiting to happen? 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/96328161/is-northlands-sunken-treasure-ship-a-ticking-time-bomb

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Block it off fore and aft and you could have a sit down tub.

Be interesting to hear what you say after a month of cruising? 

Thats the main reason, getting into the dinghy, fishing, swimming and also safety especially short handed; getting a man back aboard is going to be significantly easier. 

9 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Thats the main reason, getting into the dinghy, fishing, swimming and also safety especially short handed; getting a man back aboard is going to be significantly easier. 

That's a pretty epic DIY piece of work. Well done. Wish I had the knowledge to do that, I would have replaced my fridge years ago! 

What are you going to do with the backstay? 

Ive got a bridle set up, just waiting for a high load block to arrive. The chainplates are under the deck, that took a whole lot of contortioning with sticky stuff and uni's to spread the load, fortunately Ive got long arms! 

Its a big job and Ive been lockdowning away at it a few hours most days in between showers, TBH, I probably would have not done it unless pushed.