This Weekend's Achievements

I got me a new boat.... for the price of some paint, hose clamps, some sanitary hose...well she smells like a new boat with the sweet Linseed bouquet and no toilet odors... 

After.jpg

Before.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

Toilet vent plumbing is on the list for us too.  Ok over summer with everything open, but a bit rank when you have to close hatches in rain ...

Yes, must have a good vent to prevent siphoning... the problem I inherited was the use  of non sanitation hose, which for those who  who do not know... can let odors through the hose wall. I my case it was extreme, wife made a point of "Fix it or else!"... and I would fully expect any other crew to mutiny.

• Upvote 1

Seems like you were down the coal hole for a wee while on that very tidy installation. I started using some of that blue coloured additive when I installed the holding tank on our Carpenter, it seems to stop the horrible smells. I'll fess up and admit I don't know what its environmental credentials are like, just add a capful when flushing a no 2.

For my sins I replaced two magnificent but frozen Bronze Sea Cocks with Nylon/glass units and replumbed the cockpit drains on the Hood 38 and the next job was to replace the steering cable, which was fun but at least I know how it works now. Being an old school hull shape the boat is narrow at the stern so both jobs required a fair degree of contortion in the coal hole. 

• Haha 1
On 6/03/2023 at 5:10 AM, Frank said:

Seems like you were down the coal hole for a wee while on that very tidy installation. I started using some of that blue coloured additive when I installed the holding tank on our Carpenter, it seems to stop the horrible smells. I'll fess up and admit I don't know what its environmental credentials are like, just add a capful when flushing a no 2.

Does anyone have a solution for the stagnant water in the water feed line which reeks to eternity when first flushed after sitting for a week or more?

I put the blue stuff(from Rv shop) in the bowl but can't get rid of the seawater in the line (which is quite long in my boat) - this goes off and stinks really bad. 

6 minutes ago, Addem said:

Does anyone have a solution for the stagnant water in the water feed line which reeks to eternity when first flushed after sitting for a week or more?

I put the blue stuff(from Rv shop) in the bowl but can't get rid of the seawater in the line (which is quite long in my boat) - this goes off and stinks really bad. 

The only solution is a fresh water toilet, or converting to a waterless toilet (composting). The rotten egg smell is caused by the biological life dying and decomposing in the seawater feed...inlet - before the toilet, so no additives at the toilet can work.

25 minutes ago, Island Time said:

The only solution is a fresh water toilet, or converting to a waterless toilet (composting). The rotten egg smell is caused by the biological life dying and decomposing in the seawater feed...inlet - before the toilet, so no additives at the toilet can work.

If it is a problem you really want to solve, then put a tee in the line near the anti syphon valve, with a cap. When leaving the boat and before closing the sea suction to the toilet, remove the cap, purge the line with fresh water then close the sea suction....

I do not do this, but I do purge the toilet with fresh water before closing up for a time

When we refitted our 1020 I deleted one of the through hulls where it had a toilet inlet and hand basin waste outlet next to each other.

I have a Y just inboard of the sea cock now, below waterline and leading off to WC and Basin.

Behaves as normal, but after motoring home from a trip and running a fair amount of Salt water through WC and holding tank I can shut sea cock and fill hand basin with fresh water, with the plug out and toilet flushing it only gets fresh water so no sea life dying in system when boat parked. Seems to work fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

When we get back the the marina we pour at least half a bucket of fresh water, plus a spash of blue stuff, into the toilet boil, pump it out using dry boil action. Dont seem to have any smell troubles. 

1 hour ago, funlovincriminal said:

When we refitted our 1020 I deleted one of the through hulls where it had a toilet inlet and hand basin waste outlet next to each other.

I have a Y just inboard of the sea cock now, below waterline and leading off to WC and Basin.

Behaves as normal, but after motoring home from a trip and running a fair amount of Salt water through WC and holding tank I can shut sea cock and fill hand basin with fresh water, with the plug out and toilet flushing it only gets fresh water so no sea life dying in system when boat parked. Seems to work fine.

Thats bloody cleaver and I'm going to steal that idea!

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, strath said:

When we get back the the marina we pour at least half a bucket of fresh water, plus a spash of blue stuff, into the toilet boil, pump it out using dry boil action. Dont seem to have any smell troubles. 

While the other two solutions proposed are what I'll probably do, I feel like a complete dummy as i don't know what a dry bowl action is? If you mean the empty bowl switch, I've tried it and the salty organism filled water doesn't purge. 

Also, for clarity the roten egg stink only happens the first flush when the head is first used. But takes an age for the odour to dissipate. 

6 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

Mine has a similar arrangement. Can pump fresh water into the toilet by closing the seacock, and running the tap in the basin.

Not quite the last weekend, but pretty happy to get a Mariner Stainless Kero stove as a trade for a 6 pack of cider.

I spent a hundy on some new bits and it's now running in in the outdoor fireplace at home.  It will move to SO once it's proven wrinkle-free.

Full gory detail on the restoration can be found here.

IMG_20230308_192433.thumb.jpg.22c745833e517929a87f8c804faf75a7.jpg