This Weekend's Achievements

Warmer than anticipated while still brisk. Angela noted snow was still visible on some distant mountains. 

What we have commented on several times is how clean the water is in the rivers and lakes. Even when surrounded by agricultural land. I don't know the why but seems we have a lot to learn.

After nearly a month of arduous travel across half a continent today I discovered the Atlantic Ocean.  On the scale of the Pacific a rather paltry ocean ( less than 1/3 the size). But a step up from earlier rivers and lakes, certainly worthy of a celebration. 

IMG-20230615-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230615-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20230615-WA0010.jpg

• Like 4

That is just brilliant. Highlight of my day. 

You really do need to write that book. Maybe your daughter can ghost write it for you she is clearly talented and charismatic enough. 

Just now, Addem said:

That is just brilliant. Highlight of my day. 

You really do need to write that book. Maybe your daughter can ghost write it for you she is clearly talented and charismatic enough. 

Ps. I've never really liked Jimmy Buffet but David Crosby had a similar lifestyle. 

She's doing them in alphabetical order, so after a long run on beatles we are approaching the c's. Expect david crosby soon.

Mind you we just found her a vinyl copy of Bacchata Rosa which we'll bring back with us. (Search for Juan Luis  Guerra)

Well, wasn't just this weekend, but the last couple. Took IT out of the water, and scraped and sanded 23 yrs of antifouling off, right to the glass. The glassed over the lead on the keel (The exposed lead always had issues with paint adhesion) as far down as I could, then 2 epoxy barrier coats, and antifouling.

The scaping and sanding is getting harder! 13 days out to in. 20230621_141122.thumb.jpg.22f0595cda8e71daef189b43ef4dbcb6.jpg

20230617_180144.thumb.jpg.6a9e4d9269efcd9c6efdf88fb9672277.jpg

776699366_IslandTime.thumb.jpg.319595394d38544ae297e98c1cd273b9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7
16 hours ago, Island Time said:

Well, wasn't just this weekend, but the last couple. Took IT out of the water, and scraped and sanded 23 yrs of antifouling off, right to the glass. The glassed over the lead on the keel (The exposed lead always had issues with paint adhesion) as far down as I could, then 2 epoxy barrier coats, and antifouling.

The scaping and sanding is getting harder! 13 days out to in. 20230621_141122.thumb.jpg.22f0595cda8e71daef189b43ef4dbcb6.jpg

20230617_180144.thumb.jpg.6a9e4d9269efcd9c6efdf88fb9672277.jpg

776699366_IslandTime.thumb.jpg.319595394d38544ae297e98c1cd273b9.jpg

What tool did you use for scraping ?  I have a moonscape of antifoul to sort out at some stage 

25 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

What tool did you use for scraping ?  I have a moonscape of antifoul to sort out at some stage 

Just a standard tungsten scraper with a long handle (well ok, a short one with a bit of broom handle in so about 350-400 mm).  I started sanding with 40 grit and vacuum extraction, but too slow for 10+ layers. To begin with  I was crap at scraping, then got a lesson. The key is NOT to round the blade corners as some advise, but to work along the boat using only 10-15mm of the blade edge to remove the paint. Hardest bit was getting started...

The blade is still flat to the hull, but progress only the 10-15mm each time and you can take off a multilayer strip each time quite easily. 

Oh and I bought a full face mask that used 3m filters. That was awesome - easy breathing and no fog..

Once scraped, sanded with the 40 grit....  

• Upvote 3

I Parked My 20ft Trailer Sailer at Whangaroa at my friends orchard on Saturday morning then drove to Auckland and said farewell to family, on Sunday I parked My Camper in Albany then flew from Auckland to Shanghai overnight, then took the fast train arriving at Guangzhou midnight Monday and got home 1am on Tuesday. Fresh as can be today haha. 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

I Parked My 20ft Trailer Sailer at Whangaroa at my friends orchard on Saturday morning then drove to Auckland and said farewell to family, on Sunday I parked My Camper in Albany then flew from Auckland to Shanghai overnight, then took the fast train arriving at Guangzhou midnight Monday and got home 1am on Tuesday. Fresh as can be today haha. 

Wait, so you bought a 20ft trailer sailer? Did I miss this?