This Weekend's Achievements

The 3 Baker brothers re-launched their Young 8.4 at Weiti over the weekend. Looks pretty good, and given their reputations as top dinghy sailors, no doubt they'll be a tough edition to the Weiti fleet.

Public1.jpg

Public2.jpg

public3.jpg

Very well done, the Public Image looking awesome in its third incarnation,

do they know they even have a soundtrack that lots of people heard, over and over and over and over on a continuous loop tape

heres a pic from one of the very first races we ever completed, it used to break heaps of stuff and earned the nickname public damage

PC120014.jpg

The 3 Baker brothers re-launched their Young 8.4 at Weiti over the weekend. Looks pretty good, and given their reputations as top dinghy sailors, no doubt they'll be a tough edition to the Weiti fleet.

also ..where are the life lines that go around the boat? they still to be fitted?

After much swearing, actually managed to remove and replace the exhaust elbow. Had to remove a fuel line and undo part of an oil line to get to the last nut.

To the rescue was a ratchet ring spanner with a hinged head. Why have i never had one of these before???

Saturday

Went out to the boat with dad, ran the engine, checked how much diesel and water were on board, and went up the mast for a once over before the summer cruising begins.

We were planning on sanding and varnishing but the weather wasnt great and it looked like it might rain

Sunday

Rode over the bridge!!!

also ..where are the life lines that go around the boat? they still to be fitted?

yes indeed.

To the rescue was a ratchet ring spanner with a hinged head. Why have i never had one of these before???

They come in sets and cost $$$$$$$$

Another useful set occasionally, are short / stubby ring+open spanners.

Likewise a socket set with hollow sockets so they can be used on threaded rod, no matter how long, where as normal sockets have the arm / extension etc fitted into the end of the socket. With hollow sockets, the wrench arm fits around the socket.

http://www.maintechmro.com/holo-12pc-go-thru-socket-set-1-2-drive-mro.html

Those ratchet spanners are not too expensive now. Or should I say, there are cheap ones as well as expensive available.

To add to the list of wonder tools there is also a ring spanner that has the strangest of shaped ring jaws that tightens onto any nut in it's size range. No not self locking. It has a fixed ring jaw and sits lose on the nut, but as you bring it round, the shape of the jaw ends up cominmg against the flat of the nut.

And of course, the angle drive, so you can get at a bolt/nut in some tight out of the way place.

Fitted an electric toilet to the aft cab ensuit. Poured some insulation under the freezer, with a slight mishap that now means the freezer is sitting 50mm higher than it used to and will have to add a 50mm trim to the seating to rais it above the freezer lid :( Oh well.

go rum racing, practice man overboard drill (attached to jib sheet), go to the viaduct, meet some american girls. wake up hungover and take future perfect north, test out new leisure furl boom. makes things a bit easy really.

This has taken a fair few weekends to build but its all coming together now. Can't wait to hear it...

Hay Peter. How's it sound?? We all want to hear you playing tha beautiful 'quilt' & watch you sew that quitar. Come on man - share the joy. Oh - do H-28's have sails big enough to sew?? Ha ha ha ha ha Haaave a fab 2012. Hope we get to meet sometime this year. 'Party-time' would be a grand occasion. Ciao, james

Hi James yes strung it up and it goes well, sounds just like a Martin D28. I torture guitars so you will be waiting a while to hear me play it but if I can get someone who knows more than 3 chords to play it I'll post.