This Weekend's Achievements

Guest Rocket

The only way I like Paua is whole - freshly gutted, tenderised (wrap it in a cloth and smash it with a cricket bat) and then treat like a rare steak - hot plate bit of olive oil, salt, pepper - 1 minute a side then eat.

Very rich - 1 or 2 is plenty...

Do not mince, do not slice - just whole. (you can slice it after cooking it maybe - but I don't). You don't seem to have to rest it either?

When I live in Blenheim I would go out each weekend with a mate to Port Underwood and get our limit.

Nothing better than a paua on the grill for 3 minutes for breaky, no beating, no slicing, just shuck and cook, 25min from water to grill. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now Paua I can't comment on.

But this evening I got round to doing what I should have done weeks ago; bought a mask and snorkel and inspected the nether surfaces of the love object.

I had vague notions, but the reality was breathtaking. "Ecosystem" comes close but doesn't quite capture the spectacular nature of a mussel bed 4 inches deep in places, complete with little fish darting in and out; huge snails trawling through those patches of slime not already occupied by mussels, and bubbles everywhere.

Ain't nature wonderful?!

There is scuba gear in my immediate future; anybody got an underwater camera I could borrow?

An undergraduate course in marine biology?

Or maybe an under hull course in marine biology :lol:

Wow Banaari - just think how much faster you will go when you get your ecosystem dislodged!

Finally completed what could well be the longest engine installation in history. Nine months from purchase to commissioning. I could have had a baby by now, and would probably have gone through less pain. Oh yes, and also passed the RYA Yachtmaster shorebased exams on the same day. Now where's the seriously smug emoticon? :thumbup: :D :clap: :mrgreen:

Finally completed what could well be the longest engine installation in history. Nine months from purchase to commissioning. I could have had a baby by now, and would probably have gone through less pain. Oh yes, and also passed the RYA Yachtmaster shorebased exams on the same day. Now where's the seriously smug emoticon? :thumbup: :D :clap: :mrgreen:

Congrats BB! Awesome :D

Here is the world so worried about species dying, and greenery being chopped down at alarming rates, when it turns out it's just been relocated to the bottom of peoples' boats.

Brilliant! :thumbup:

Laminated some mahogany to make a spinnaker take town guide on the foredeck of the skiff.

Repaired the mast track

Repaired mast base where some swelling had occurred

Attached the Spinn halyard top block, - twice - once in the wrong position.

Fixed hole in mast from wrong position above

Sanded bowsprit down in diameter until it fitted in through the hole in the stem, then redid the carbon on the ends.

Made some cedar grips for the 2m carbon tiller extensions I'm making

made list of all the goodies i need to buy

Took main to sailmaker for Cunningham install

ate too much

got drunk

suffered at least three simultaneous headaches on Sunday...

Laminated some mahogany to make a spinnaker take town guide on the foredeck of the skiff.

Repaired the mast track

Repaired mast base where some swelling had occurred

Attached the Spinn halyard top block, - twice - once in the wrong position.

Fixed hole in mast from wrong position above

Sanded bowsprit down in diameter until it fitted in through the hole in the stem, then redid the carbon on the ends.

Made some cedar grips for the 2m carbon tiller extensions I'm making

made list of all the goodies i need to buy

Took main to sailmaker for Cunningham install

ate too much

got drunk

suffered at least three simultaneous headaches on Sunday...

Sounds like a good weekend! Looks like im in the same boat as you :lol:

Sanded the 3.7 floor, Filled some gaps, Sanded some more

Filled again, and sanded once more

Put the first undercoat on

Sanded AGAIN

Second undercoat

wet sanded fordeck-getting ready for a ton of varnish

sanded my rudder blade

Filled the rudder blade

Sanded again, Broke the old stock into pieces :oops:

Now trying to design a new one :sick:

Took my mast to a certain someone to get fixed :thumbup:

Now time for some more painting!

went for a sail on clifford, took a headfirst dive off the launch onto timberwolf as they sailed past and won the rum race! (a default win i think but still a win none the less). what a brilliant weekend its been so farr

post-10268-141887198289.jpg

Told one stinkpot owner his engine was terminal but I will fix

Told another stinkpot owner his gearbox was terminal but I will fix

Told yet another stinkpot owner I will fit her new engine this week

Told yet another stinkpot owner I might have a chance to look at his problems next week/month/year

And still haven't reworked all the lazarette woodwork on Nightcap.

And a little boy waits.

Had an epic weekend crewing on smokey joe with tug in the panmure 2handed 3legged race. Amazing ride from the bottom end to kawau. 25 - 30 knot easterlies saw a pretty good top speed of 13.8 knots. Not bad for an old 1/4 tonner :thumbup: