This Weekend's Achievements

Got over battery drill batteries that last only 5mins so I did a Wheels to one.

Now has 48AHrs to play with and a more stable base.

He he he - Himself has a plan to do that on his so he can use it on RO -and put a sanding disk in it lol.

He just needs to figure out how to connect the wires to the drill, and, find some wire long enough :wink:

you could pull the battery appart, cos its probably f**ked anyway. and then you can just connect the wire to the inside of the battery after the cells have been taken out and just plug battery in as usual. or put a 12v transformer in the battery if you find one small enough and plug straight into the wall.

heard of electric drills?

you have given me an idea. got a few rooted battery drills. quarter pint might get electric winches....suspect there wont be enough torque though.

Actually set foot on board the love object this evening... rented a car just long enough to scuttle out to Westhaven from the airport. Now back sniffing jet fuel at 21:30 with another two and a half hours to wait. Gaaargh.

It's not really cordless anymore is it? :?

It's not really cordless anymore is it? :?

Knot really but then it won't have to be hunted for and isn't as heavy or bulky as a normal powered drill. I have others when I need portable. It also works nicely into my 'minimal waste' programme. What was dead now lives and shortly it'll be solar powered as well. It's now a 'Green low carbon footprint Frankendrill' :thumbup: :lol:

He just needs to figure out how to connect the wires to the drill, and, find some wire long enough :wink:

I just squeezed on some small electrical dodacky things, common as muck, to the wires and pushed them onto the terminals the battery used too. Bit of hot glue to hold it all together and she's good to go. Easy peasy.

I have an old 12volt panasonic I might do that to. Would you need to use a drill of 12 volt or less to get the torque? Would a 18 volt drill for example be weaker?

Hot glue?? :shock: Dude!!! Get yourself into the 21st century.

Super glue.

rossd, 18V drill on 12V wil not be as powerful as it could be. It would be like running on a half flat batt. But it would still work and better than nothing.

Last time I used super glue, 2 months back, I didn't manage to get the item glued but did spend 1/2hr getting the item unglued from the bench and another 1/2hr trying to get 3 fingers apart. I really didn't think superglue could stick your body parts together anywhere as well as I found it can. OSH now recommends I only go near hot glue for safety reasons :lol:

you could pull the battery appart, cos its probably f**ked anyway. and then you can just connect the wire to the inside of the battery after the cells have been taken out and just plug battery in as usual. or put a 12v transformer in the battery if you find one small enough and plug straight into the wall.

heard of electric drills?

you have given me an idea. got a few rooted battery drills. quarter pint might get electric winches....suspect there wont be enough torque though.

Done this a couple of times, rip battery pack apart and solder flex to + and - put a domestic FEMALE plug on the other end with + wired to earth(green and yellow) and - to neutral( light blue) AND LABEL 12vDC ONLY (female plug this end so that it can never be connected to 240v live), now get a metre or so of flex and same polarity attaching a male plug one end and crocodile clips the other to go directly to battery (once again WELL labelled) with this a domestic powercord will allow you to use the drill (always used 12v drills for this) pretty much anywhere on the boat.....bit of voltage drop true but it works well, the true worry is the lead connection from the battery which would have potential with crossed phase/ neutral to become live if ever someone was stupid enough to connect to 240v grid, so very clear markings and make it short or disposable ie chop the plug off after each use.

Oh and KM , super glue first appeared in the medical profession for...........yep sticking skin together, think acetone melts it though

Saturday - re-jigged the front lawn so I can get the boat (trailer sailer) in and out without a crew of spotters, including removing a stupid little gateway and a scruffy wisteria, much to the disappointment of my ex M.I.L when she heard about it! There will be a hedge I think, softer to clip with the boat than a fence.

Sunday, took the trailer sailer that all this was in aid of for the first sail it's had since Waitangi weekend in Nelson. It's been under repair in my carport since then. We left Seaview about 10, left Somes to port and Ward to starboard then back to Seaview, gave a couple of old dudes in a weedy old yacht a tow from the pile moorings to a marina berth before putting the boat away. We had quite a full boat as I had my three kids and three sea scout leaders along. There were heaps of penguins out, are they in some special feeding season or something?

The best part of this whole exercise is that my kids want to go again next week! Choice! I knew bringing chips, dip and fizzy was a good plan...

I have been busy wiring in my new swithc board. Wiring always looks like it will be a simple job, but NEVER ends up that way. It's looking goog so far though. I have been wanting to clean the wiring up since we first bought the boat. However in some ways am glad it is 8yrs later, because I have so many differeing ideas on layouts now than I did then. All in all, I am really excited about how it is all coming together.

Boats? Surely!

Nope, we were all about action, hot chicks and AK47's. Had our 1st round screening last night and somehow managed to aquire viewers choice award!

Pretty good weekend all in all. But more importantly, WT got her bum sanded and gained 2 coats of antifoul :-)

spent some time cutting carbon with some southern spars boys. played boy up the mast with scott laying it up. time will tell if we done it good enough.

this all because of last weekends achievement of busting the top 1200 of the mainsail track.

none of us have done any laminating hanging from string before but we looked like we knew what we were doing and thats what its about right?