This Weekend's Achievements

Installed proper IALA 2NM Nav light on the Mancave Sunday.

I got very concerned I might wonder out there one day and find a SR26 may have installed itself upon it :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-646-1418872033_thumb.jpg

.I've been adapting a top mount morse controller to side mount and moving the engine controls off the classic cockpit locker position to the station. I was looking for slim controllers but I could only find fat controllers, this was the skinniest fat controller I could find.

Its working out well, I'm pleased. It means I can be looking at what I hit coming into the marina now, instead of grovelling down on the floor.

2012-07-09093234_3.jpg

2012-07-18140723_5.jpg

but I like your boarding duckboards Booboo, are they bolted through as well?

No they are just glued and carbon'ed on there. They have the big support on the bottom and should be pretty grunty. I grinded right back to bare glass and also put a carbon patch under bottom of the support to make sure it doesn't push the bottom corner into the foam transom.

Havent had a chance to really give them a booboo bounce test yet but did hang off them the other day with no movement at all.

The boards themselves are 80kg foam, with a layer of 800gm glass on the top and 600gm on the bottom with carbon and extra E glass taping around the aft edge.

008.jpg

While my Christina was with me, I think I'd like to take the credit. To note, we had the fastest ride to date only a few minutes before breaking it, gusting 20 knots we were FLYING along on a quartering reach. As we got closer to the narrow little fairway into our ramp (seen on this web cam) : http://www.scc.ch/cam/image.jpg the fairway is between the boats and the roof in the foreground, what followed was a comedy of willy-waws leaving us capsizing over someone's mooring buoy and bowsprit.

Righting the boat I launched myself out of the water to make sense of the knitting and sieze back control from the elements before we charged off into another boat but I landed a little too enthusiastically on the deck, punching my knee clean through quite close to the transom. About this time I realised that the boat really doesn't have a lot of freeboard (aided by my weight in the worst position) and was alarmed to see the lake flowing into the hull at an astonishing rate!

Staying calm, I finished lowering the main and threw things overboard to gain freeboard (paddle, girlfriend...) and jammed my foot in the hole, making it larger. With the situation under control, Christina hanging on the bowsprit after having retrieved the paddle, we swam/tugged and paddled the boat back to shore (200ft).

Photos below show the result and the repair to date. I considered making a very tricky 4 sided scarf patch, but thought better of it. I could just see the hole getting bigger and bigger as I tried in vain to get a good fit...

ARM_0442.JPG

ARM_0455.JPG

ARM_0464.JPG

a lick of paint and no one will notice.

My boatbuilder has done a few patchers on my boat deck, sort of half way between the 2, routing out a rebate half the thickness of the ply and 12 mm wide, same on the patch, very neat but hey anything to keep the water out.

Like I say, I did think about the bevelled edge/scarf patch, but the ply is only 4mm thick, and will receive some severe point loading so I wanted it as strong and simple as practical. Also without the doublers a beveled patch is likely to move out of position during cure. Yes I could screw it then fill the screw holes etc. but I'm happy with it like this. If it was 6mm ply I would have bevelled it in like you suggest, but 4 mm gives less room for fairing afterwards. Got to make the patch flush and good all round to get easy finishing.

Weather is meh today and I'm a bit under the weather also so I'll have to wait for tomorrow to see how well it has come up with the epoxy all set. The aim was to make a strong repair that would not be seen - the aim at least.

You've done well, but here's an easier way for next time, get a grinder with a 40grit sanding disc and bevel the edges of your hole about 4:1 and same to your patch (no need to be perfect). Plonk it down using lots of epoxy and your good to go. Saves all those doublers and its pretty easy to do.

One travel-free, jet-lag-free weekend to work with. Not being able to do anything about the love object (still lurking in Westhaven), I decided to turn my attention to the Laser, neglected since we moved house.

Cut away the slimy rigging and its attached ecosystem and removed the spars from the boat. Quick side-trip to Opua to replace said rigging. Drilled out the rivet fastening the lower mast plug, and finally separated two mast halves using a discreetly and repetitively inserted length of wood. Left to dry out before applying sandpaper. Cleared the rotting leaves from the cockpit; scrubbed the poor thing, and have ordered replacement tyres and tubes for the beach trolley. Epoxied the splinter (garage rash, grrrgh) back onto the rudder.

This afternoon - warrant and register the road trailer (yes I know it's Northland but someone has to set some standards...)

Next Saturday: Quince's Landing - a microscopic atmospheric gap in the mangroves barely accessible by road...

quinces_landing.jpg

banaari, ya boats still floating in westhaven by the way.

i, we managed to have a cock up of a race in B div on saturday. general recall at the start, back of the line, called starboard on a classic that we caught, no response, had to do a quick tack, boom in runners, crew in water. from 3rd to about 8th. played catch up, got to 3rd and wrong side of a ship going the same speed as us, tack to go behind it on a reach....from 3rd to about 8th. put the medium chute up and got back to 3rd. feck

..nearly got my Hf set up installed...transcevier second hand...tuner new...antenna...a mystery of gob smaking proportions...

The rule it seems is simple for HF marine....as long as possible and as high as possible....but keep it away from anything else that conducts...

...another brain bash over coffee tmmrw.

To backstay or to whip that is the question...but lo...there is others....alternate backstay doth profess to whip backstay in terms of dollars........oh dollars...how much force your argument does make.......

Pulled the boat out of the water on Thursday and wet-sanded the antifoul. First coat of antifoul put on Friday and polished part of the topsides. Second coat of antifoul put on Saturday and continued polishing the topsides. Third coat of antifoul put on strategic areas on Sunday and finished polishing topsides and serviced propellor. Need PropSpeed application before we put her back in the water .... was supposed to happen Friday but was overlooked by hardstand operators and applicator didn't know about the job. Extra days on hardstand as a result. :eh:

Due back in the water tomorrow afternoon.

Lessons learnt:

a 46' boat can look bloody massive once its out of the water.

there's a lot of topsides to polish on a 46' boat (but it looks good once its finished).

don't trust hardstand operators to do what they say they'll do without reminding them several times (apparently twice isn't enough).

lot's of people (even professionals) are friendly on hardstands and will offer all sorts of advice and gear to help.

some people want to talk your ears off while you just want to keep going with what you're doing to get it done.

successfully put some new cupboards and a bench top in in the laundry room...

Then on sunday had Weiti racing and didnt mess anything up on bow! Beat Wildthing over the line which is a once in a life time opportunity :lol: :lol: Topped off by a awesome couple of hours on wildthing after racing!

successfully put some new cupboards and a bench top in in the laundry room...

Then on sunday had Weiti racing and didnt mess anything up on bow! Beat Wildthing over the line which is a once in a life time opportunity :lol: :lol: Topped off by a awesome couple of hours on wildthing after racing!

Make hay on that result, it's not going to happen again! Nice work though, you guys sailed a better than usual race, and we made a meal out of everything we did!