This Weekend's Achievements

Perhaps a bit of an unusual one. This weekend we began to ressemble a Tower for destruction test, after minor failure in early tests. I'm in a testing station in the desert, outside of Riyadh.

Copy of IMG_0109.jpg

Nice work Clipper - that beats my spending 10 hours getting 1950's vinyl tiles off a timber floor, crap job at the best of times.

Tip for those contemplating it - use an old iron to heat and soften the tiles and black shite glue they used to use to stick em down. Then scrape off with sharp chisel.

EE

Did the bathroom of a house that had been formerly owned by an old couple using a similar method - hot air gun and wide scraper heated up on the stove element.

Regretted it immensely when the heat hit the vinyl in the area surrounding the toilet. :sick:

Can't blame old people too much I suppose, any toilet would probably be the same...

Ummm - house toilets - I almost prefer boat toilets now.

Found a wet spot on the floor. Had a look and found the ruber sleeve where the toilet attaches to the external pipe had died (after 30 odd years). Had to pull the toilet out to get at it. Found the water had penetrated the cheap sh*t particle board floor. Pulled up the floor and replaced a big area (bit like taking rot out of a a wooden boat). Put it back together. It still leaked. Turned the toilet upside down and found the ceramic bowl was cracked. Bought a new toilet. Had to buy a new cistern as well as they come that way. Old cistern was attached to wall, had to bung up holes and re paint wall. Then put it all back together. Now it works and is dry. Just got to replace the vinyl I destroyed on the way through.

Ummm - house toilets - I almost prefer boat toilets now.

Found a wet spot on the floor. Had a look and found the ruber sleeve where the toilet attaches to the external pipe had died (after 30 odd years). Had to pull the toilet out to get at it. Found the water had penetrated the cheap sh*t particle board floor. Pulled up the floor and replaced a big area (bit like taking rot out of a a wooden boat). Put it back together. It still leaked. Turned the toilet upside down and found the ceramic bowl was cracked. Bought a new toilet. Had to buy a new cistern as well as they come that way. Old cistern was attached to wall, had to bung up holes and re paint wall. Then put it all back together. Now it works and is dry. Just got to replace the vinyl I destroyed on the way through.

Wow - impressive list of destruction. Lucky mine were in the old kitchen (now a living room) which I covered with a rug 4 years ago when I finished renos because I couldnt bring myself to spend a day or so pulling them up. Finally bit the bullet, took the pain and did it as I'm going to flick the house. Its a crap job at best.

In old conservatory found a soft spot in corner, lift the carpet to find a previous repair, decided to lift all carpet to replace damaged particle board - found there were cork tiles under the underlay - so if I replaced particle board there would be a need to level the floor - easy answer - garden spade to lift old tiles (also scrapped a lot of the glue off) - replace particle board where damaged - belt sander to smooth it all - painted it then carpet tiles on top to make it look nice.

We were hoping to join the Legends Regatta at the Mercs, but couldn't leave 'till Saturday. The forecast was a bit iffy, so we sailed down to Tauranga for the weekend instead.

Met with three other multi's (2toTango, Waterblaster and Double Diamond) up Hunters Creek, and spent a pleasant weekend up the creek.

2012_10220051.jpg

While enjoying good food, good wine, and good company on board Hotel 2toTango, I looked out the back to check up on my baby girl. Lance gave me a hard time for salivating over the sexy tri - but hey - wouldn't you?

2012_10220026r.jpg

The kids were having a ball:

2012_10220045.jpg

Looking back at Hotel 2toTango:

2012_10220047r.jpg

A multi line up:

2012_10220041.jpg

We shifted yesterday to shelter from the NW, and dried out in the afternoon and woke this morning on the hard again. While we were waiting to refloat the boat, we listened to the forecast: gale warning (25kt from the NW), 2m swell, but the Bowentown bar was 'easy' as reported by a fisherman to Coastguard at low tide.

Rather than following the plan of motoring up through the wires (the inside channel that connects Tga Harbour to Katikati Harbour), we decided to sail out the Tga entrance and up the coast. Come what may.

The wind was strong, with whitecaps everywhere at times, but we didn't see a swell anywhere near 2m. With a reef in the jib and a reef in the main, it was more about testing ourselves than the boat.

Sheets cracked just off hard on, feathering the main and jib during the gusts, we had a few sphincter tightening moments. Only momentary though - most of the time a "YEEEHAAA" was on the verge of being screamed.

At times we wondered whether we had made the right decision sailing in the open water with a gale warning in force. But we won't learn anything if we always play it safe. For some reason I am more game in the open sea than I am in the harbour - I really hate that feeling of running out of room. Whereas out there - there is HEAPS of room.

The young fella got the camera out and took a video before we got into the big gusts. Raw footage - just as he took it.

Tacked into the entrance, hard on on slack high tide, and dropped the sails to pick up the mooring, feeling like the cat who got the cream. :D

Oh yes - and I had my first swim of the season . . . :wink:

Had the ignominious experience of returning to the ramp via taxi.

Launched the Radial from Skudder's Beach very early Saturday morning expecting the wind to fill in. It didn't, and it slowly dawned on me as we drifted downstream on the ebb (occasionally tormented by an intermittent and ultimately useless puff) that the single digits' worth of metres under the centreboard would become mudflat before we ever made it back. Extensive tiller waggling propelled us into Rangitane; making the necessary calls en-route to arrange transport back to the trailer.

A learning experience, but one carried out in slow motion and under a rising sun.... there's still no such thing a Bad Sail :)

IMAG0040.jpg

Glued myself to my jandles at 1/2 Moon Bay whilst fibre glassing a canvas spray dodger...("always wear appropriate footware"... :oops: )

Oh! glassing over a canvas spray dodger works! Better than I hoped for.

The young fella went out in his new (my old) sunburst with his Dad, and successfully capsized it. The young fella was not scared.

They did the first sea trial of the new cat - with chase boat and all!