This Weekend's Achievements

Ok, so been a bit slack on the updates. Too much fun being had.

Long story short - despite all odds she made it in the water the day after Boxing day and went out to the Barrier for a few days whereupon we had the crap kicked out of us over new years.

Everyone survived and over the last few months we have made a couple of little trips like Mahurangi regatta and Kawau for Easter weekend. Still bolting things on every time we go out but we are getting there!

Anyhow - this weekends achievement was finally making her first racing appearance in over 20 years.

We were literally screwing tweaker cleats and blocks on whilst motoring flat out to Gulf Harbour to pick up some volunteer crew, never got around to rigging a kite downhauler, were 3 minutes late for the line after missing our division's flag (oops) and ended up just running a borrowed 18 foot skiff gennaker that was miles too long in the luff but too short in the foot, and the original 32 year old Dacron main but never mind all that - we had an absolute blast and the boat held her own despite our best efforts!

Big thanks to KM and the crew from Chains Ropes and Anchors for their rope wizardry - its a shame my lashing skills detract from the sexy bits but what they don't see won't hurt them... 

Attached are a couple of pics from launch day and a freaky one I fluked whilst enjoying a sunny lunchtime swim at Tiri a few weeks back. See you all on the water

Launch Day 1.jpg

Launch Day 2.jpg

SHapeshifter Tiri.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bought a boat and brought it up from Picton to Auckland.  Now on the lawn at home while I sort out the lifting keel that ain't lifting so easily (bit much antifoul by the looks of things).  Looking forward to getting into it and hopefully in the water in 2-3 months..

IMG 6047

After using the yacht for the last 2 yrs,thought must be time to clean inside,if it removable it came home,pulled out stove and yep not the most pleasant job with what was hidden behind,i am sure last owner never cleaned there or crawled down quater berths.

Tomorrow attack motor and bird sh@t on deck 

Yup - did the same thing when I bought the boat last year. In bolted absolutely everything. A year ago now but almost there. Took S1 'camping' at Sullivan's bay last night - sitting on the beach watching the sun come up wishing the boat was in the water!

Being the Brave sole that I am,waited till she went to work and used her carpet cleaner on the front runner and yep looks real nice now,squabs at and she caught me and took over(bonus)engine painted so interior all done,next weekend hopefully paint decks.

Busy weekend.

2 handed training sail on Marshall Law on Saturday, then a Weiti Gulf Harbour race on Sunday on Rafferty Rules.

Funny conditions, no sign of the forecast 30-40 knots so I went with the square top main and a self tacker jib which was perfect for the first three legs. Late for the start but it worked out ok with us getting the favoured end of the line.

got rolled on the gennaker reach by unitec ( e7.8) who was managing to plane with a nice new huge genny.

Caught up when they played silly luffing games with Shapeshifter (R830). Managed to get Shapeshifter on the next upwind while Unitec hooked into a nice lift and sailed away. Stayed in front of Shapeshifter on the kite run even though I screwed up the gybe angle a bit. the wind died and shifted so I changed to the no1 job.We were looking good upwind until a 40 knot squall came through and we fell over and they powered ahead of us. managed to finish just behind Shapeshifter.

3rd on handicap was a great day out.