This Weekend's Achievements

Cool, I look forward to seeing them. I knocked these thru deck fittings up on the weekend. For a couple of soft lashed blocks, the flat bits are the washers for under deck. Only outboard pod, so no watertight issues.

image.jpeg

No black paint involved - http://www.carbinge.com

But I now know how they do it and reckon my Carbon/Dyneema version is better.

There was a large amount of impatience and 'Ok so just how do they make it' behind the purchase, a huge amount.

I'll be using my hinges on the engine room doors and I may, note 'may', use mine on the galley doors....... but they will be fiddly and I'm not sure I can be arse with that fiddly. But then the other option is metal and that stuff is yucky and I seem to have got quite anal over sh*t like that :)

Thanks for that! Great site. I'll use some of that wankery in my next carbon project..

OK, so it was a few weekends ago, but keeping with the Carbon theme. The Marshall's hydraulics sh*t themselves a few weeks back. And after having to bend the ugly alloy plate to get the hydraulic pump out, I thought "There must be a better way"..

Before, ugly 30 yr old alloy

IMG_6092.JPG

Used it as a template on some laid up carbon (First try at this)

IMG_6115.JPG

Finished!

IMG_6122.JPG

Not sure how long it will last as I didn't have time to clear coat it, but it's not in the sun too much, so cross fingers!!

Well this weekend the head needing sorting. There's been a.... smell for a while and i suspected the bowl seal to the base had a pinched o-ring so after much toilet ducking the whole thing had to be taken apart and sure enough the o-ring was pinched and a small 'pool' had formed behind it near the motor. Whilst i had it apart i thought it good to give it a good cleaning and some 4 hours later everything was working and i had managed to maintain my composure during the whole event. Not a major project but a project none the less

smithy09, that looks great.  Not just the carbon either.  The Allen Head Dome Bolts look much tidier than the old slotted heads.  

Thanks Scott. I was pretty happy with it. I just hope it goes the distance in the sunlight as I was in a rush and didn't clear coat it.

smithy09, that looks great.  Not just the carbon either.  The Allen Head Dome Bolts look much tidier than the old slotted heads.  

Funny, I was sold on Young 1034s before I bought the Marshall. Just couldn't find one at the right price!! Lovely boats.

went out yesterday,thought things need to used and a dry out,1.5lt in bilge thought yep pretty good for all the rain we have had,out sailing and saw more water in bilge,wtf?a little bit of investigation looked at dripless seal and found a dribble of water,not from the seal but running down towards seal,Hmm.Found filler hose from deck to tank had a small split so when slight heel water would come out so replaced,unusual to find i had spare hose onboard of that size 38mm as everything else is 50 mm or 20mm

Today I raced against a chinese rigged ketch. Absolutely fascinated by it's performance. I hope some pictures turn up of her on the Whangarei cruising club facebook site so I can post them here.

Today I also had my first taste of 30 odd knots in Summer Wine of Cowes and discovered 1 reef was not enough and after 3 years racing with the keeler fleet I can still go aground.....twice! Look forward to refitting the wind selfsteering as the TP22 does not cope. Lots of learning to do prior solo trans tasman but thats why I go out on such days as today.

• Upvote 1

The main issue with trying to use a small tiller pilot in any decent wind is balance. If the boat is out if balance, it won't cope. How you reef is critical. Balance the rig fore and aft of the centre of lateral resistance. Think about how your main and headship both move their centre of effort forward when reefed, and how you might counter that.

Wind vane steering works well, and saves power, but ads drag, so not great in a race....

Before a solo Tasman, you need to have this well sorted, and expect to encounter winds well in excess of 30 knots.

OK, now i have the img posting working again, 

here's this weekend's achievement.

40 lm of 150x20 vertical grain WRC on it's way to my new workshop ... on the 7 1/2 floor ... hey at least it's a workshop and not a dining room...

28380762653_e713902cbf_z.jpg