This Weekend's Achievements

Back in 1991 I was crew on an Inglis 47 called Scavenger. It was a stripped out racing machine, very basic down below, with a lift keel via a 6:1 pulley system.

(The owner/builder sold Scavenger and built Prowler which is now in Auckland)

On Saturday I went for a sail on Scavenger for the first time in 26 years. It is now in Perth, WA.

Still fairly spartan down below but there is now a hydraulic ram to lift the keel, a huge freezer and bunks rather than pipe cots.

• Upvote 1

a couple of years ago in the outer pelorus sound it went from idyllic to 35 kn + in about 2 minutes - we were on our moderately tender 20 foot trailer sailer and i was surprised at how rough the sea got and so quickly . There was shelter not far away and the mercury earn't its keep with alternately the prop coming out then the cowling going 90% under. its a longshaft too. It didn't put off my lady from sailing thankfully.

Moved the boat up to Auckland. Now parked at Pine Harbour.

Hey E,

Just to confirm, is that a Noelex 30/Farr 9.4?

The reason I ask is that my head is telling me we'd get more use for less cost out of a trailer sailor rather than the current 42ft keeler and the Noelex 30 is on my "interested" list as a large, production TL

Nice boat and set-up btw.

Thanks

TL

I had a noelex 30 for a few years. Great boat. Left her rigged on the trailer at the club most of the time, always clean, no anodes, no antifouling, no marina fees:-). They sail pretty well, but a bit tender, and tendency to pitch. Mine had a BBW keel, a bit stiffer, and a bulb with a tail to help reduce pitching, plus about 200mm more draft. Did lots of Strait crossings in her, and family holidays. I reckon the best trailer boat there is. I'm biased, of course :-)

Had a Noelex 30 for years, back in the day when there was even class racing. Great boat, a real Tardis in terms of size down below, Not really a real trailer yacht - the rig took a bit to raise and would be more suited to use as per Island Time - ie left by a ramp fully rigged. Great with young kids - anchored in about 2 feet of water while they played around boat. Great Gulf cruiser/racer and could foot it with Young 88's on a good day. Never see them in Auckland now - most I think are on Taupo or in Aussie. 

Hi

Yes she is a Farr940(Noelex 30). We have had trailer yachts for over 30 yrs and are Rotorua based. This way we get a bit of both.

Hey E,

Just to confirm, is that a Noelex 30/Farr 9.4?

The reason I ask is that my head is telling me we'd get more use for less cost out of a trailer sailor rather than the current 42ft keeler and the Noelex 30 is on my "interested" list as a large, production TL

Nice boat and set-up btw.

Thanks

TL

Hi

Agree with the tardis comment! Sure is after a 6.5 m trailer yacht.

She is normally kept on the trailer in a hard stand on Lake Rotoiti (www.boptys.net) it is possible to launch her single handed. The two of us can get the Mast up and down, due too a very well engineered A frame system for getting it done. Our plans are to have her in a marina for 2-3 months each year and back on the lake the rest of the time. Have had her on the lake for past year, gave us time to learn how to sail her, reefing, manovering etc.

We got her from Taupo, the national home of 30's.

Had a Noelex 30 for years, back in the day when there was even class racing. Great boat, a real Tardis in terms of size down below, Not really a real trailer yacht - the rig took a bit to raise and would be more suited to use as per Island Time - ie left by a ramp fully rigged. Great with young kids - anchored in about 2 feet of water while they played around boat. Great Gulf cruiser/racer and could foot it with Young 88's on a good day. Never see them in Auckland now - most I think are on Taupo or in Aussie.