ipad as a chart plotter

Has anyone been using the new I Pad 2 as a chart plotter? apparently the 3g one comes with the GPS chip and for a few dollars you can buy plotter software which gives you a decent size, colour touch screen plotter. Within 3g range you can also overlay satalite mapping from google maps and weather radar... apparently. Has anyone used one for this in nz?

It all began with an iPhone...

March was when our son celebrated his 17th birthday, and we got him an iPhone. He just loved it. Who wouldn't?post-11058-141887186814_thumb.jpg

I celebrated my birthday in July, and my wife made me very happy when she bought me an iPad.post-11058-141887186818_thumb.jpg

Our daughter's birthday was in August so we got her an iPod Touch.

My wife celebrated her birthday in September so I got her an iRon.

post-11058-141887186822_thumb.jpg

It was around then that the fight started...

What my wife failed to recognize is that the iRon can be integrated into the home network with the iWash, iCook and iClean. This inevitably activates the iNag reminder service.

I should be out of the hospital next week!!

post-11058-141887186827_thumb.jpg

IHURT!!

I use the samsung tablet and think it is great. I will say now I am a bit anti apple products. I have an iphone and hate the thing. Crap reception always hanging on pages no flash movies pay for apps when they say it is free. (don't mind paying for apps if they say there is a charge at the outset. afterall we all have to make a living)

The samsung with android is awesome. still can run navionics on it. easy to navigate. battery lasts three times as long as the iphone. A lot of my business is run through cloud computing and having good 3g reception is vital to actually be able to use it. I think the samsung tablet walks all over the ipad

I got one of these for Navigation on the boat, bloody bargin http://www.mobicity.co.nz/zte-v9-tablet.html?gclid=CJ_yuL38_KoCFcRU4godzHr5zg found the smaller lighter unit better than the 10" and although not as refined as the more expensive tablet works great for weather and navionics, the good thing is with Android is once you purchase the software you get it on all your devices so I have Navionics on my phone as well.

Can't stand apple products all the marketing hype for something that's been around for years does my head in.

Can't stand apple either (ignore the ipod)

I use a Motorola Xoom with Ozi-explorer, works much better and is much more accurate than my onboard GPS. is half the price AND I can watch movies one it!

LOVE IT!

SHANE

Just remember you need phone reception to use these devices for navigation. So no go in a lot of areas.

No you don't, I don't even have a sim card in mine most of the time, works well over a hundred miles offshore I have tried it. Some have what is called assisted gps which uses phone the network to get an initial fix, but if there is no phone network it won't be used.

No you don't, I don't even have a sim card in mine most of the time, works well over a hundred miles offshore I have tried it. Some have what is called assisted gps which uses phone the network to get an initial fix, but if there is no phone network it won't be used.

That's my understanding. I have used Navionics on a 3GS iPhone out at Barrier and Barrier had virtually no coverage with Telecom. The NZ charts come installed and it uses the internal GPS on the phone.

So I got a Ipad for my half century

Have bought Geo Garage Marine NZ for $8.20

So is this all I need or do I need something else to make it work as a plotter ?

Or have I just lost the plot ?

I use the ipad and it's fantastic for navigation. You don't need any phone reception. The GPS is a separate devise in the ipad as far as I know. If you have 3G reception you can overlay the satellite images and you can take photos using the camera and mark them as points on the chart - useful for tricky entry stuff.

It's never going to be a full chart plotter but considering the price of the app it's worth it for sure. Added bonus is you can watch a movie at the same time and keep work happy with the email and check out crew.org.nz

So I got a Ipad for my half century

Have bought Geo Garage Marine NZ for $8.20

So is this all I need or do I need something else to make it work as a plotter ?

Or have I just lost the plot ?

I haven't used Geo Garage Marine but I did notice this from their web site.

Key features of this basic but user-friendly mobile app include :

* Track display : Marine mobile apps uses the embedded GPS (iPhone 3GS/ iPhone 4 or iPad 3G) to display the track of your boat in real-time on the multi-touch scrolling and zooming nautical chart.

* Waypoint plotting : with course and distance to the boat

* Seamless chart to chart display : no need to preload charts in memory

* Offline use : all the charts viewed online are memorized in the cache memory of the application in order to be viewed offline when you are unable to get reception (similar to the cache for the web application)

It looks like you need Internet access to browse the various charts before you can use them. It will cache them so it might be OK for places you frequent often.

I have just tried turning my iPhone into airplane mode and was able to view the Chathams (haven't been there) with Navionics so it looks like the charts are stored locally with this app.

I do like the way you can program the waypoints into a Garmin GPSwith Geo garage though. Quite cool. I might play some more with this on an old fashion PC.

I use the ipad and it's fantastic for navigation. You don't need any phone reception. The GPS is a separate devise in the ipad as far as I know. If you have 3G reception you can overlay the satellite images and you can take photos using the camera and mark them as points on the chart - useful for tricky entry stuff.

It's never going to be a full chart plotter but considering the price of the app it's worth it for sure. Added bonus is you can watch a movie at the same time and keep work happy with the email and check out crew.org.nz

Ok the debate is still going as we are yet to get a definitive answer about the GPS in iPad 3G

Here is what I have got so far. ( please correct if you have more information)

The iPad 3G GPS is and A-GPS chip = assisted GSP the Chip gets a heads up from Cell sites to start the positioning process. Once a position is identified it will use both satellite and Cell site to maintain position.

Here is the kicker is a iPad 3G will still say hello to Cell sites without a SIM in it. So A-GPS will work.

Here is the issue. and yet to be proven will the iPad pick up a position off satellite without the cell site starting it off? It will maintain tracking if it is running and goes out of range as has been proven in a aircraft. Who has had one well off shore to offer more facts?

I saw my 1st ever iPad last week at the boat show running Nav software. I thought it was one of those lectronic photo frame things so it's highly possible I've seen one before but just didn't know it :lol:

One would have thought from all the who-ha it would have been something special or different.

Exactly knot you nothing, special just alot of expensive marketing.

Fusion I have used my android phone with navionics a long way from the mobile network kept it in my pocket for quick reference during the rni and never had a problem getting a sattellite fix.

Archived