This Weekends Achievements 16-17th Sep

Thought i'd kick this weekends thread off. Try to keep it marine related, no body cares if you swept the drive or cut the hedge :wink:

I got a lot done but nothing finished :roll: Wired up the VHF Pa output to a 12v relay to sound the horn only to realise it outputs audio "stuff" and its not possible to throw a relay. Off to jaycar, one DIY circuit board later and the VHF can now sound the fog horn on automatic every two minutes :mrgreen: (just need to solder it all up). Installed an external vhf speaker for the cockpit and wired up the anchor light. Will pull the windless motor out tomorrow (needs new brushes) anyone know the best place to get that done in wellington?

Spent the day trying to pack 108km's of rope in to space for only 50km's. Found about 3km's of fancy strings we seem to have forgotten we had... bugger.

Took my new bike gear for a test run on a long round about trip home, all good. Kevlar jeans...... just in case I can't learn to slow down, trying too but it's hard work.

Got home to find D1's 'quick trip to Devonport and back', approx 6km, somehow translated to the speedo reading my wagon had done 108km's. WTF?? 'Oh yes I sort of .........' :?

Then spend 10min calming the Wa down as the busted D2 spend the day driving her knuts. Twas heading out for some beers but afraid to leave D1 and the Wa home alone together. The backyard is still soft and it would be easy to dig a hole to stash a body in.

Chatted to Rigger about tugs, displays and shipping :lol: :thumbup:

The outhaul had worn through the rope casing where it passes through the jam cleat. Replaced the outhaul line. Bit of a mission as at some stage the outhaul line had been blended onto the wire that runs inside the boom. All done in between rain showers.

Started masking the interior varnished mouldings. A sand & varnish job in progress. All done while listening to RWC commentary on the stereo.

afu.

Found a problem that had been mucking up my Tillerpilot, bad power connection. Ran a new thicker cable from the house battery rather than the start as it was. Hooked it up to the new gps via nmea 0183 and took it for a sail. Wonderful. I love my tillerpilot now. Now I have the Garmin gps map sending info to the vhf, the depth sounder ( furuno ls4100) and the pilot. This is great as when I have my next heart attack my wife just needs to press the red button on the vhf which probably will go unnoticed is gissy. The Tillerpilot works better with the gps data than with its own fluxgate compass. WoW, way outside my comfort zone all this electronic stuff. Next task is to set up a Lazy Jack system.

The Tillerpilot works better with the gps data than with its own fluxgate compass.

Interesting you say that. Because the guys at CSL said no you don't want the flux gate because having so much steel in the boat, the magnetic field changes as you heel over. So instead they have this stereo GPS antennae. Two receivers about 18" apart. So the differences in signal times apparently act like a Rate gyro and the course is more accurate than a flux gate.

Yes Wheels it seems to be working well but I've only had a trip out from Gissy hbr towards Mahia and back, about 15 miles. It would let me down prior to these changes, run of course. Now after correcting the setup of the gps from magnetic to true, which I was using to check my compass, it tracks true hitting my waypoint outside gissy hbr on the way back. This is a Simrad Tillerpilot, has an auto tack feature. Its only about 200 mm from the ferro deck so lots of steel in range of the compass.

Now I'm not sure if the pilot uses the gps data for compass bearings when not in Nav. mode but it seems to be holding a course much better. I'll know soon when we have more miles. According to the manual it does use the gps data but because I'm not that savvy about electronics I can't say for sure, don't know how to test this. Can always use a waypoint, then hit the Nav key anyway. The gps data is pretty accurate stuff, don't mind a rough sea and very good value for money.

Just got the stuff to make a Lazy Jack system so I'm off up the mast.

Hey bbay where did you get your furuno nmea plugs from? I need two of them for a furuno 1721 radar and equivalent age depth sounder.

Instead of doing the windlass today due to the rain, wired in the radar through some existing cable runs, which unfortunatly meant ripping out the airintake cover as the screws were all puttied over :evil: Thinking I had found the hollow caverty where the cables were running I drilled in to intercept but saw daylight eeek, came out in the companion way steps d'oh !! Got it all sorted eventually, ~40m of wires installed (6 lengths)

Wired up the xmas lights to the top of the mast both sides and down. One side is changing colours (has stupid settings) so if your round the marina at night thats ours thats all lit up :mrgreen:

Hi Sailfish,

The furuno came with a plug that had wires hanging out the other end so I just put a screw block at the end of the cable to attach the gps nmea and the tillerpilot and the vhf. The plug for the garmin gps handheld came from http://kiwigps.co.nz/.

Got one side of the Lazy Jacks sorted, all the blocks and bits fitted so just need to run some lines tomorrow eve and we will be in the 21st century.

Christmas lights............... :clap:

Hey thanks PaulR.

Sailed over to Fraser Island, watched some whales up close, got sunburnt,and drank too much port......

Motoring back up the Burnett river after dark at low tide was 'interesting',(no didnt manage to go aground).

Sat,

Bought a boathook, 12€

Bought a red emergency flag, 6€

Bought a white light all-round camping lamp 14€ (ripoff)

Bought a horn for signaling 4€

All items required for the registration safety test.

Sunday, sick in bed.

Tuesday, boat passes inspection :)

yay

Finally got TE back in the water after two weeks of love, which has left my right (sanding) shoulder absolutely f*#ked

New graphics very pleased with, new smooth bum, no more sloppy rudder, secure pullpit.

Job list now only half as long...

Cheers

TE lifta.jpg

Well its not exactly a weekend achievement but an achievement none the less.

As part of the VB refurb programme Ive pulled the headsail winches to bits and refurbed their interior workings, and I have just today picked up the drums after having them stripped and replated. Just like new again, thanks North Harbour Metal Polishers. Definitely not a paid endorsement, just recognition of excellent service.

Heres a before an after.

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg