i550 small simple sportboat

I am curious about the Kiwi perceptions of the i550 sportboat.

I am the distributor of the plans and such. To date there is only one set of plans in NZ. about 300 plan sets in the rest of the world. It is a bit angular and looks pretty basic, the other side of the coin is that it was drawn to be ultimately simple and cheap.

The sporties you have are a large part of the inspiration for the i550. Been aware of your designs and designers for a long time. Especially want to wish success to Shaw and his 6.5.

T

Think it will struggle for any presence.

Performance, I'm to be convinced it's any quicker than a E5.9

Class, You'd have to look at the E59 or piedy for class racing before an I550.

Cost, again, the second hand market offers more for less so to speak.

So really, the market is some one who specifically wants to do a build for the satisfaction that brings or specifically wants to avoid second hand for whatever reason, throw in the size and that's not a particularly big market.

thanks. I appreciate the response. The reasons are sound as to why the i550 is not so common in your country. Also, the general level of skill in the population lends to the more sophisticated designs being built.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Firstly, if something defies logic here in NZ you need to remember that 80% of the taxes are paid by 20% of the people which, as a result of the associated brain drain, means that most people left in NZ are morons.

Footnote to NZ natives: This is just a Friday afternoon piss-take so please do not take the above statment too seriously.

Unlike the US there has not been any real uptake in the 20 foot boat range down here probably meaning that there is no real market in that size range, or if there is a market, it is sufficiently satisfied with existing older designs (E5.9 being the prime example (see www.e59.org.nz)).

I think that in time this market will probably develop as existing boats get older and outdated and when a lot more boatclubs:

1. Start accepting that another season of around the cans racing in old keelboat shitters is not going to grow the sport any more; and

2. Start looking at affordable exciting keelboat-style (i.e. inclusive of sporties)sailing options for retaining juniors in the sport once they get sick of dingy sailing.

Methinks we'll get there but maybe approx 10 years aways yet (i.e. when us Gen X'ers kids all become teenagers and we want to go sailing with 'em).

Wineglass you're close but I think you got your words juxtaposed. Could it be that you meant that 80% of the taxes are paid by 20% of the people which, as a result of the associated "so-called" brain drain, means that most of the people who left NZ are morons?

Back in the 70's our then revered Dicta er Prime Minister Robert Muldoon made an astute observation when he noted that "when any New Zealander leaves to live in Australia, the average IQ of both countries goes up" :mrgreen:

The fact that most of the race fleet in NZ gets converted to cruise mode for the summer holidays is probably a factor as well.

It's much easier to sell the boat to the wife if it has even rudimentary accommodation for a couple of weeks away.

The fact that most of the race fleet in NZ gets converted to cruise mode for the summer holidays is probably a factor as well.

It's much easier to sell the boat to the wife if it has even rudimentary accommodation for a couple of weeks away.

2 weeks in 52 weeks thats only a 4% crusier, not worth the effort. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'm relying on this fact for future expenditure!!!

Archived