Nothing heard from them for a MONTH!?

I don't like these "old" comments.

They are just more experienced.

Perhaps they are enjoying themselves possibly including but not limited to:

A choice of wines for dinner.

A decent aged port afterwards.

No big sails at night, and if the wind is above 10 knots, taking in a reef or two so they can get a good nights sleep.

No colourful flappy go faster kites.

A sleep in the sun before lunch.

A read of a page or two from a good book.

A siesta after lunch.

All these things take time to practice and then enjoy and only hope they are enjoying life and eventually get there safely.

"Good things take time" said by real old cheesemaking codger.

One only has to listen to the VHF traffic in the SIMRAD and COASTAL CLASSIC and hear how many times Coastguard have to ask for a boat name to be repeated, then ask for callsign 2 or 3 times and hear the bad and imprecise replies. And these are experienced yachties :?:

LOL, you should hear some of the radio traffic in Whangaroa. I know Kiwis seem a bit more 'relaxed' about VHF protocol than, say, the UK, but seriously, I've heard things like: "Oi, Jimmy, is that you coming down the West Passage?"

No name of boat being called, no "this is...", no "over"... Had to laugh really!

A damaged sail, then no wind, tough trip.

Indeed.

My personal opinion is that anyone sailing through busy shipping lanes* without a VHF on because they are saving batteries is irresponsible and dangerous.

*I don't know where their route took them, so I don't know that they were passing through any busy shipping lanes... but Bermuda to Ireland, across the North atlantic... I would have a VHF on, at the very least. But maybe that's just me?

Why would you need a VHF on? Particularly if you are standing a decent watch?

Ships regularly don't answer you on VHF. What are you going to say to them. Just get out of their way and no problem.

Agree and unusually good of them to run his comments exactly as they were said - "chart plotter sh*t the bed" has a meaning that is not conveyed by "became inoperable as a result of circumstances for which the manufacturer cannot be held responsible."

Call the coastguard - they are 2 days late !!

"The Golden Eagle was due to arrive in Crookhaven in west Cork on September 15.

The alarm was raised two days later when the family of the Norwegian man called the Norwegian Coast Guard. They alerted Irish authorities."

Yes.......those compulsory reporting forms for first arrival in Oz or NZ.....Can anyone comment how accurate they expect you to be with your arrival time?If you are trying to sail using whatever weather you are given,what is the best strategy for the form?Double the time that you guess you will take?And then advise them as soon as you are within VHF range?And just say you got lucky with the weather?

"And if we had of been in something like these chicken sh*t Beneteau, Jeanneau or Hunters or anything like that, I would not be talking to you now."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

They actually printed his statement verbatim :clap: :clap: :clap:

JH read this before you go offshore again mate.

I work out the fastest possible time then write "not before xxxxx". Done it twice now into Aus without being questioned.

ADD in after that: "AGW WP" plus "E & OE".

"All Going Well, Weather Permitting

Errors and Ommissions Excepted"

That should cover a lot of issues.

Never put "TO" a given port; always put "TOWARDS" to allow for a larger geographical target zone. Thus Brisbane is somewhere between Hobart and Cooktown :!: :thumbup:

Archived