Anchor Winch

As Muir is made in Aussie... or Tasmania depending on who you talk to, they will be available here. Assuming that info is up to date, that website does have a few winches for sale that haven't been in production for at least 3 years.

So you are trying to get a winch that is manually tailed off to a locker/bin whatever like a Capstan but will take both rope and chain? Do I have that right?

A small hangover, sore knees and a desire for cold beer :)

Will suss in the AM for you, there are a few options in that area.

Boat size, what's your existing chain size and are you happy with the rode you have? No point getting a winch and having to change rodes if the one you already have is all good.

11m yacht, the rode is fine, 8mm?? chain, I know you'll say there's a hundred 8mm chains but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I probably could tear the bottom out of the anchor well and put in a new floor lower down to get the fall but it all sounds a bit hard. It's only empty space so it's possible, perhaps I should harden up and start chopping.

No worries about which 8mm, it's one of 2 choices unless someone has got seriously jiggy.

For a Auto rope to chain winch to work well you need locker depth. About 200mm below the winch to the top of the pile of rode as a minimum. More you have the smoother she'll run. So it depends a bit on locker shape and horizontal measurements as to how deep it needs to be. And of course just how much rode you want to run.

NE coast of the Northland can be 98% covered by 70mts all up if you do the odd bit of fishing. 50mts if you don't. If you're an extreme fisho freakazoid you'll probably be wanting 100, maybe more.

I'm sure you been told this before, maybe knot in relation to anchor lockers though, Average and deep is better than shallow and wide :)

Also if you have a real deep locker, you'll have a smoother running winch and gain some nice storage for 2nd rode or anchor or whatever.

Over the last few years many have hardened-up and whipped out chainsaws ;)

The Muir one you were looking at is weet-bix powered rather than electrickery.

The 'Manual' word in the title didn't alert you to that? ;)

I'm normally marginally intelligent but no, it took a while to twig. So how do I get an electric version of that? It seems they haven't been thought of yet. Hey, there's an opening.

Bad luck, Muir has already beaten you to it and may have done so that long ago they have since stopped.

Suss the Round Base Atlantic VR1000. Looks just like the 500 you saw but it has a motor underneath. I think they still make them.... stand by while I stir some shite with some Aussies..... and then check if they still make the roundies.

Broker Mariner, is this what you're looking for (see pics below). Its a Lewmar. I run 30m of 8mm chain plus 50m of wharp. Automatically transitions between chain and rope and auot feeds into the chain locker below. I have up/down deck switches (just out of view) plus a switch and chaincounter in the cockpit so I can raise and lower from the wheel. I'm a 35ft yacht. Works great although I do go slowly with caution at the transition point between rope/chain - had a snarl up once.

General Apr08 026s.jpg

General Apr08 029s.jpg

General Apr08 025s.jpg

I think AC is right. That winch you were looking at BM, the electric version, is priced in the range that one would call OUCH!!!, notice how it's a big ouch as well. Where one like AC's or equivalent would be about 1/2 the price.

I am a little intrigued why AC has a mooring buoy in his large luxurious locker but the tidiness of the rode doesn't surprise me. He does look after his boat better than I do my kids so knot a surprise.

Thanks KM for your PM this AM.

I've been trying to avoid the self feeding variety due to the lack of fall and the fact that I have to install it behind the locker that spans the whole bow. I.E, once the anchor is up, I wouldn't be able to close the lid. Why have the lid open? Not enough fall so would have to help spread the pile by hand. As "Fat Bastard" said "Its a vishis shircle". Conversely, if I could just whip it off the winch, I could chuck it all in the locker and close the lid. So why not just use a drum type capstan? I find myself frequently solo with a manson supreme that is a right mongrel to unglue from the turf and in 5m of water there's still a pile of chain down there. Could get real messy in a blow. Also they're ugly, also I'm lazy. So now I find out through KM that you have to pay twice as much NOT to have a self feeder. Where's the justice in that? At least now I know why some anchor lockers are split down the middle. AC's is ideal, side by side. Did you arrange the warp for the photo shoot? Nice job.

Broke Mariner

the winch that AC has we can do as a non chain piper version which means you have to feed it into your locker it has a cut out in the front and no chain pipe so you can feed it where ever you want.

If you want more details send me a PM.

Cheers

Gappy

and yeah AC anchor locker is like the tidest I ever seen.

BM, suss what Gappy can do with their version. The winches Gappy plays with are a lot cheaper, at the moment in monetary terms, than the brand you started off looking at.

Winch pricing wonders around at times due to exchange rates, Maxwell excluded obviously being from the exotic location of Albany :) Gappys running on far better rates than most others currently so has some sharp pricing going on.

And an hour ago AC lost the 'cleanest locker' Award. Just been sorting out more bloody anchoring set-up dramas (knot of our making) on a big fizz and you could eat off the locker floor. Unbelievable how clean it is even more so as the boat does get used a fair bit and the boat is 7 years old.

Sorry AC, post a pic after the next repaint and we'll review our decision :lol: :lol:

Archived