selling myself

well, i have thrown in my job at brin wilson boats because most of the guys are lazy, arrogant, whinging bell ends so i am looking for a job to fill in the time between now and (fingers crossed) when i leave for the army in march (again, fingers crossed and touch wood). preferably i would want a job as tactician on the all female bikini yachting team out of gulf harbour, but i'd be open to offers for anything local (whangaparaoa-ish)

cheers,

jordan

well, i have thrown in my job at brin wilson boats because most of the guys are lazy, arrogant, whinging bell ends so i am looking for a job

Hmmm... They are qualified boat builders, who gave you a shot at a job and you return the favour by slagging them off? Nice... I'd love to employ you after that! Maybe the Army is the right place for you, a good rogering will put your attitude in the right place.

I have only interacted with Wilsons once. I was stuck on a job putting the A class together. I spoke to the foreman there and he said "you need this tool, but they are expensive and silly to buy one for 2 minutes work. I can't lend it to you but i can stop by on the way home and do the job if you like".

I was impressed and would go back there if I ever had a decent paying job for them.

well, i have thrown in my job at brin wilson boats because most of the guys are lazy, arrogant, whinging bell ends so i am looking for a job to fill in the time between now and (fingers crossed) when i leave for the army in march (again, fingers crossed and touch wood). preferably i would want a job as tactician on the all female bikini yachting team out of gulf harbour, but i'd be open to offers for anything local (whangaparaoa-ish)

cheers,

jordan

You're a shocker!

well, it got to the point where everything was my fault (power going off so toasties arent hot for smoko, milk freezing in the fridge, stereo knot working etc) and i was getting bollocked for stupid things like that for no reason. then there was the physical stuff, having full rolls of 50mm masking tape thrown at me, bits of wood thrown off boats at me, even fibre glass dust once. so basically i said 'i cant be bothered with this sh*t' and left.

Dude, some of those things (e.g. bits of timber thrown at you) are actually fairly serious issues under the Occupational Safety and Health protocols that the company must work with. You really should have been drawing attention of the management to safety issues like that because responsibilities for any injuries resulting from buggerising about on a worksite fall on the workers themselves and the management for allowing it to happen. The penalties can be quite serious too. And a victim can be held responsible for not preventing the issues by getting it stopped earlier.

Everyone has the right to a safe workplace, but its the responsibility of everyone there to ensure it happens .... so unless you made complaints that weren't acted on, you're at least partly at fault for not getting that stuff sorted out either with the person(s) directly responsible or their supervisors. If your complaints weren't acted upon then you've probably got grounds for a constructed dismissal suit.

I believe you were an apprentice and/or labourer.

What happened to you sounded pretty normal, (excluding the stuff that is actually unsafe), for a newbie. Were you taught what the dangers were? Maybe the fibreglass dust was because you were not wearing safety glasses like you were supposed to.

What you needed to do was earn their respect by taking all the sh*t and trying to learn. Learning means you will be thinking ahead about the next task and they will have no reason to toss stuff at you to get your attention.

Instead you toss your toys and leave another job, just like you quit school. Maybe the army is the right place where you are not allowed to use your brain unless instructed.

When young guys apply for a job with me and they tell me that all their qualifications mean that they will work smarter, not harder, then the interview is terminated immediately because I know they will disappoint me.

I feel motivated enough to defend Brin Wilsons as I know the truth and I'm not going to go any further than that. But JH what's wrong with you? So many people have given you a shot and none of them seem to work out and the only recurring theme in all of them is you.

You sailed on my boat and you were keen, reliable, and an asset on the crew. You're a talented young man, but I suspect you've blown your chances with any employer on the Hibiscus Coast, perhaps in the marine industry at all - it's too small a country. I hope you make it in the Army Jordan. :?

And management told me they saw more potential in JH than they did in the other young fellas.

The lads here sent our Schoolie up the road for some glass tacks, a glass hammer to bash them in with and a 'long weight' for threading halyards yesterday. He never had a clue :) :)

That's what happens when you are bottom of the food chain. But in a few short years you get to do just the same to the next batch of young fellas. It's just the way life works, the youngest is the total source of all feck ups whether they did them or knot.

Military sounds like the best option. Try saying No there and you'll quickly learn burning a toastie is far far more fun.

Grinna, the management there are knot silly and if there was a H&S issue they would sort it fast. Also I'm sure shy quiet never try to wind up nor be lippy JH would never had brought any of that upon himself... would he ;)

I feel motivated enough to defend Brin Wilsons as I know the truth and I'm not going to go any further than that.

Yes and I know the real truth too JH. You would be surprised how many Know the real story. The industry is too small. Word gets around.

There is a saying. "Never Crap in your own nest". Sometimes it is better to just keep your mouth shut.

Mate sounds like you were just another apprentice but its a pretty bold move with such a small industry to throw crap around like that.

To be honest this thread should be removed as its just crap

It sure is I may be looking for a boy to help us out soon for a few months over summer but wouldn't hire anyone with an attitude like that seems hes just afraid of a hard days work.

JH, take these comments as from friends. We have all done and said stupid things in our lives and often learned the hardway, especially when we were all younger. Take the advise onboard, learn and move on from it.

JH, I would say that wasn't your best move......

As mentioned in other posts the industry is just way to small to burn bridges.

All apprentices get a hard time until they have earned the respect of the guys they work with and earned their place in the team.

I would think now that you will never be able to earn it from any of them or anyone that knows and respects them.

In sailmaking the juniors allways get a very hard time. I have seen some shockers and had some shockers done to me. 'Baggings' were done to every junior as an initiation type thing these incuded being hog tied and put in a sail bag with rotten milk and eggs, ink, hundreds of pushpins and often being dumped iin a public place in the center of town in a bag naked + many other things. The cheekier you were the worse it was and some of then really were horrendious. Mine was pretty tame, bagged tied to the flag pole and firehosed down whiie they sat round drinking my bottle of rum in front of me, I lost my shoes, cut in half cos they smelt bad but that was my only real issue, catching the 2 busses home in bare feet was pretty akward!. But after that was done I was part of the team and proud of it, taken my place.

Its part of life the natural chain or pecking order.

Fourums can be a dangerous place, once posted its there for all to see.

Be carefull mate.

I hope you find your feet and really get into something.

Sorry guys but can't help feeling all the advice, encouragement and kudos given to JH on these forums have given him a big head. He's become a legend in his own mind due in part to what has been written in what I am sure is constructive in the writers minds but the guy is still in formulative and young in years. Hopefully not to much damage has been done but I fear the worst.

Jordan, have a son who was head boy, fated to be an academic and told all his school life he needed to do a double degree.

Left school to go sailing but did boat building at Unitech then took the same path as BooBoo.

Would have worked for nothing in the industry for a while to be part of what he wanted he loved it so much.

Now on a Volvo 70 and hopefully set for life both financially and sailing wise.

So it is there if you want it bad.

Sounds like you want it on a plate already - at what, 16 ?

Archived