New Hobie Class Sails - Recommend a Sailmaker anyone?

Hello to one & all,

Getting into the Hobie Racing fraternity at TBC, finally one would say!

Anyone recommend a hobie-racing supporting sailmaker that I could use to make a "race-set" main & jib and keep the "avg" set for training, family play day.

Cheers :D

Aren't Hobies tied onto some exclusive sail supply thingy?

By that I mean if you want 'legal' race sails you can only buy them at one place..... and for probably twice what a sailmaker would charge. Like Lasers I think.

No offence to Boatbits but they charge for your left leg and right kidney.

Surely there are other suppliers?! Will check Hobie Website.

I've always found them pretty reasonable actually - referring here to hardware etc where I have priced the identical product at other chandleries.

Maybe being the importer/distributor of official Hobie gear and accessories is expensive.

Anyway HnF gave you the alternative option who offers a good solution for those who would rather not pay the new price.

I think you'll find Boat Bits are told what to charge by Hobie. A few years back they did get a hand slapping for selling Lasers or parts of for 'below set world pricing'.

Don't ya just love monopolies who are obviously colour blind as well. Who else bar someone colour blind or smoking crack would keep coming up with such sh*t colours :)

Thanks for all the responses,

I still think having a "Race-Set" is ideal, looked up boatbits website - coming out with figures of $1,900 Main (Smoke colour looks smart, in comparision to white) $795 Jib (Red)

Will take the "average" sails to sailmaker and get them recut to be boomless for family days and training, depowers the sail but not looking for all out speed on those days.

Now to get on the water!

Thanks about the same price I paid for a set about 10 years ago so not too bad!

There is alot to be said for being able to rock up to a shop and buy the fancy, custom (to your boat) do-hicky that you need and not having to fluff around making something else fit.

You may pay a bit more for it but ask a Windrush, KiwiKat, etc owner about getting spare parts!

Good ole Chinese Hobie sweatshops, keeping prices down for western folk :D

Now...to figure out how to fit the spinnaker...

looks like it's a tangle of rope at present!

Archived