Shipping a small cat

MarkMT

I'm in the process of negotiating with my boss to let me spend three months in NZ over summer (love Chicago, but winter here is kind of depressing!). If I pull it off, I'm contemplating bringing my Falcon F16 down and have started to make some inquiries here about the feasibility of doing that.

Apart from cost, my biggest concern is how to do this safely. Obviously the boat would be disassembled. I'm curious whether anyone here at crew has any experience in transporting boats of roughly this size into NZ. Would be interested in hearing any advice / experience with different carriers etc.

Don't cats require 6 months in quarantine :?:

I don't know about Falcons. If shipped in a cage, they will need quarantine as well, but will need to check to see a licence is needed to import them etc. A lot of Asian Bird Flue problems.

If the falcon was to fly here by itself then it would be hard to stop but finding it after landing would be an even bigger problem.

Perhaps leaving your falcon in a cage with friends would save a lot of hassle and costs.

F16's. The USA G'mint will need to licence that export and make sure the foreign country NZ is on the friends not foes list.

I'm not sure of the current status of the thaw, but summer is comming down under FWIW.

Or we can swap some skyhawks for F16's but knot the carrier based ones as we don't have any aircraft carriers.

Why Are you all making fun of this person? It's a valid question, I see no need to mock.

They probably see Invercargile as a fine summer alternative to Chicago and look forward to day sailing across to Stewart Is.

The answer is simple, just clear enough of your survival gear out of the forty foot container to allow you to store the boat. The Native New Zelanders no longer eat people so you will not need Firearms, there are no snakes, so out with the tourniquets and serum, we have valid broadband(slow but functional) so leave the satellite dish, although there are forty thousand sheep we restrict them to rural areas reducing the need to wear galoshes in town, you will not be popping across the harbour bridge to Sydney for dinner so you can leave the Australian phrase book and currency and although South Island Mosquito's are the size of a bald Eagle you will find the odd store in NZ with sufficient supplies of repellent.

Enjoy your stay in our country not all the inhabitants are mindless morons like my fellow "crew" mates

It's knot our fault that his first paragraph failed to mention "YACHT or BOAT".

(By way of a translation for those in Chicago :D . There are not enough "k"s used in the Queen's English so we try to use them whenever possible, otherwise the "k" will be lost forever and things will knot be the same. OK? is better than just "O".)

What read everything twice before replying :?: How novel :?: :roll:

You sure you've had all your meds this moring including the pretty coloured ones :?:

:think:

Any more suggestions like yours could start a revolution and then what will Squid do :?: :lol:

I went to Chicago once. Landed at O'Hare airport to see snow piled 6 to 8ft high. KKKKkkkkkooolllddddd it was, so stayed warm onboard, refuelled and left immediately.

Offender: He's only talking 3 months here in NZ.

It may take 3 months to get his container here anyway.

3 months here with work so that may only be 12 weekends sailing or 24 days. Possible he will want to do a little sightseeing e.g. Rotorua so that's 2 days at least gone, plus say another 2 days elsewhere so we are down to 20 days.

We should be able to lookk after his sailing needs for that surely.

We could even introduce him to tricycles and lead swingers.

Why Are you all making fun of this person?
Correct but I also must admit I saw the thread title and thought 4 legged pussy cat.
They probably see Invercargile
How about we pick on someone else about spelling instead :twisted: :lol:

I think the freight costs would be large. Round figures NZ$4000 odd to ship a container from Italy....one way. You could spend 10K shipping both ways Mark. 10K would get you a nice couple of weeks on a charter boat.

I see no need to mock.

Need? What has need got to do with it? This is the crew.org.nz forum... we mock because we can and because it is amusing, not because we need a reason.

Mark, as stated above, heaps of good boats here. You'd get more value out of flying here, buying, sailing,l selling and flying home than shipping your boat here for such a short period.

Where in NZ are you going to be?

Come to Auckland, Westhaven, Ponsonby Cruising Club's Rum Races every Thursday at 1500 for 1600 start.

There 12 x Thursdays sorted. Don't forget Duty Free Rum!!

You guys are hilarious :) ... And I would only feel mocked if you were doing a good job of it - you really need to up your game :) :) ...

Anyhow, plan A would be to sell the boat in NZ, but if that doesn't happen right away I can live with that. I'm generally in NZ for a month a year anyhow (you realize I'm from Auckland, right??).

If this works out I'd be on vacation for a month out of the three - and I can pick and choose the days to suit. And when I'm working, my hours are flexible, so if I can find mast-up storage, sailing a couple of hours a day is perfectly feasible as well, not to mention weekends (and I could do PCC Thursdays too!). I figure I could easily do as much sailing in 3 months as I do in more than two seasons here (see my post in another thread about what that involves).

But sailing per se isn't the sole objective. I realize there are plenty of ways to skin that (...whoops, completely unintentional pun ahead! ...) cat. My particular passion is sailing a lightweight single-handed cat with trapeze and spinnaker. And I really could do with some work on my skills. So apart from anything else this could be a great a chance to spend some quality time on the water training for next season in the US.

And there is nothing like this in NZ. Believe me I've seen everything on trademe in the last 7-8 years (have bought one boat and sold another there already). The closest I've seen was a way over-priced I17.

Anyhow, look I realize that this may turn out to be prohibitively expensive, in which case it won't happen. But that's why I'm investigating. At the moment I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion. Take KM's numbers for example - 4k for a container one way. So if I could do this on an LCL basis, who knows - maybe it works out somewhere under 2k. Compare that with the value of the boat, airfare, general living costs for three months and avoiding three months of shoveling snow - it's not unthinkable. In the meantime I'm happy to provide some entertainment for you :).

There is a sponsors advertisement just to the right. They talk about sending dinghy's around the world in containers. It might be worthwhile contacting them for a price.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to let them know where you got their name from either :thumbup:

Archived