Race 4

TimW

36 46.84S

174 49.05E

The mark you went around is South of Rangi light eh?

Navigation is not your strong point, we know that Patrick.

South of Rangi Light for quite a distance is a hard rocky shore called Rangitoto Island.

The nearest Buoy South of Rangi Light is Saltworks.

The Next Mark along from Saltworks in a Westerly direction is McKenzie, and McKenzie is west of Rangi Light.

It is not where it is on the drawing but that drawing says (Not to be used for navigational purposes, this drawing is only a guide, positions are as per GPS co ordinates).

I recently updated my GPS off that chart and found the 2011 GPS co ordinates for McKenzie are different to those I had originally put in some time ago.

I also don't think it is exactly where its meant to be either, but it is probably 100 or so metres out?

The dead give away about us rounding the correct mark though is that it had the advertising sticker on it.

Also, every one else in our fleet went round that mark.

I realise you did sail further than the correct course, but that is not the point.

Taeping did a full circle to undo their first Port side Pass to ensure they had left the mark to Stbd, and that is what Voda needed to do as well.

888 deserved to win that Race

I have been around mcKenzie a coupla time before...

Damn sure you boys are drawing a long bow when you say the mark has only 'drifted' a 100 meters or so!

Anyway, off for a bit of fishing...

While you are out there paddy take a gps waypoint next to the mark!

It used to be out past rangi. Apparently the move was notified and we are all slack for not keeping our mark data up to date.

you may have been around mackenzie a couple of times but not last night.

on a more positive note, well done to the 8.5s, there were a few of you out there last night and all looked very HOT at times! still a few more to get out but you are getting there.

Penelope was going to be there if work commitments didn't get in the way. will be there next time (touch wood)

Got no work today Russell? :D

I can see that maybe vodaphone should have withdrawn, but going on and on seems hypocritical when coming from a boat that apparently doesn't know the port/starboard rules.

matty

how many 8.5's sailed the wrong course?

that doesn't matter, they were there. although it is funny a large percentage of the multi fleet had issues with the course.

I like TWU guys thought we were yelling port starbord rules out when we were saing "thats the mark, turn around!!" so they carried on :lol:

We can block you during work hours, if that'll help :D

Haha like it! Go on block him! :lol:

Awesome ride on Deeds last night! :thumbup:

Bit of good news is that Tigre's mast is nearly ready. Fingers crossed she'll be up and running for the Richmond next week.

Clive you changed the configuration of those diamonds?

yes, Spreaders are now half way between the base and the hounds with inferiors and superiors.

No lower shrouds only the uppers. Extra meat on the sides of the section.

Gotta agree with Russell, if TVS didn't go round the right marks and they know it, they need to retire (like attitude).

As I've been told, sailing is a self governing sport so honesty on the coarse is the call.

So I wrote a letter to the Squaddy suggesting they contact Simon regarding not sailing the course in the last Wednesday race.

they said they can't do anything about it because no protest was lodged.

I do understand that from their point of view.

It just seems sad to me that both Attitude and Whio withdrew when they found out they had done the incorrect course.

We had a similar incident a few years back when I was race secretary, at that time there were three boats that missed a mark. No one had any real proof but I just phoned each of them to ask whether they had rounded the mark. Each person withdrew from the race once they realised their mistake.

My thoughts are that you sign a declaration to say you will sail the series by the rules.

Stuff like completing the course, not using your motor etc, often has to be on a self regulating basis.

Tim, I used to agree with you.... but like most sports it appears now that the game is played to the whistle.

if the whislte does not blow, or you are not caught on camera then you are not a cheat.

I have the same problem with the c**ts that keep pushing across our bow on port tack , thinking they can sneak through, when we eventually alter course they refuse to to the right thing and do some turns. They keep claiming we didn't protest them so they dont have to.

So, if you feel that someone is cheating you have to protest them. Its very simple.

There is no gentlemanlyness about the sport !

you are only a cheat if you get caught.

So I wrote a letter to the Squaddy suggesting they contact Simon regarding not sailing the course in the last Wednesday race.

they said they can't do anything about it because no protest was lodged.

I do understand that from their point of view.

It just seems sad to me that both Attitude and Whio withdrew when they found out they had done the incorrect course.

We had a similar incident a few years back when I was race secretary, at that time there were three boats that missed a mark. No one had any real proof but I just phoned each of them to ask whether they had rounded the mark. Each person withdrew from the race once they realised their mistake.

My thoughts are that you sign a declaration to say you will sail the series by the rules.

Stuff like completing the course, not using your motor etc, often has to be on a self regulating basis.

Tim, you are truly a dork.

Why don't you pick up the phone if you feel so hard done by.

The person you are maligning probably has no idea that your milk has been spilt

The person you are maligning probably has no idea that your milk has been spilt

Let me explain:

No phone call has been made? 'Did you know you missed out a mark'

No protest was lodged.

Not many people have read the "Race 4" thread

Many on the course thought the mark wasn't there.

At least one boat did the 'correct' course by accident.

And fook, apparently he came last anyway :crazy:

Archived