Softening rope

Dagwood

Clutching at straws here but I've been given a good length of 15mm polyester rope which is way over size strength wise for use as an anchor warp. Just thought my son who does most of the heaving (no winch) might appreciate the thicker rope to allow an easier grip.

It's obviously a bit aged and feels a little hard and yuck. (No it's not polyprop!)

Is there a secret method other than replacement to soften it? Fabric softener?

Wifes away at the moment so the washing machine is all mine, ready and willing if it'd help! :twisted:

Don't use hot water. Warm is OK but only luke like.

Fabric softener can help sometimes. Don't over strength it too much and leave it sitting in the bucket for a day or 2, stirring occasionally, won't hurt it.

If a polyester is hard there isn't that much you can do really bar the above. Polyester doesn't harden until it's heading towards the end of it's life or has been seriously (over) loaded or was just made hard in the first place or is seriously chocker with salt.

Not quite sure what I've started here but I'm happy for you guys - honest!! :crazy:

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a bash this weekend and I'm sure the missus will appreciate coming home to an unmolested washing machine! :silent:

Once a rope has hit a point anything will only really be a short term fix. Rope does wear out and does suffer from old age, just like the rest of us ;)

Once a rope has hit a point anything will only really be a short term fix. Rope does wear out and does suffer from old age, just like the rest of us ;)

Hmm but if it was all limp, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Archived