Wanting to work and gain experience in anything about boats!

Scubash

Hi all Sailors, Boaties, Yachties and Wannabes! :wink:

I moved to NZ to learn about all the ins and outs about boats. From the dirty work of building/maintenance to the fun aspect of sailing and drinking Rum!! :sailor:

When I arrived I didn't know anything, but slowly I am learning, but one thing I am failing to accomplish is finding a job. I know the reason is do to the fact that I am here on a work and holiday visa so everyone thinks I am just some backpacker who is gonna ditch my job after a couple of weeks. Well this is not the case at all! Every day I become a bigger and bigger addict to the Boating industry and the less I want to leave Auckland! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

One day I want to own my own boat/business doing dive/sail charters around the world, and that is why I want to know all there is to know about boats. I want to be prepared to fix or at least know what is going on and not be fooled. I have all my hospitality and diving skills, now I just need the boat aspect of it all. :crazy:

So ideally I am trying to find a job that is in the boating industry. Since I arrived in NZ, I went from knowing nothing to....getting my competent crew sailing 10 days from Auckland to Bluff, got my STCW 95 as well as my MROC, have competed in about 8 harbor races as well as the Coastal Classic. (Always trying to get out on the water as much as I can...1 week after my appendix being removed I was back out racing again!) I have also scrapped, sanded, primed and anti-fouled a 40 ft boat and I am constantly learning how to fix various stuff on boats by observing, helping and doing. I may not know all the terminology 100% yet, but I am learning. I have gone from someone being a bit afraid about boats, to having a massive obsession and want to learn as much as I can. I especially love racing! (So I hope to find a job that doesn't stop me from being able to do this) I am going to continue my courses until I have received my Ocean Yacht-Masters..so I have a ways to go and experience to gain. :wtf: :sailor: :D

So I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could help point me into the right direction on how to get into the biz or maybe put me in contact with someone else you think may be able to help. I am not afraid to get dirty, or brake a nail...I will climb up masts or dive below the hulls. I am very determined and I promise, you will not be disappointed! There are a few out there who already know me and can confirm my enthusiasm and keenness!! :angel:

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this and I hope you all have a great week! :wave:

Cheers!

RushMan wrote:

Bimini Babe wrote:

Sure there was a recently-vacated-post going at Brinn Wilson wasn't there...?

You don't mean the position vacated by someone who hasn't posted here for awhile?

Yea, has a certain someone been shipped off to Iraq or something.....

RushMan wrote:

Bimini Babe wrote:

Sure there was a recently-vacated-post going at Brinn Wilson wasn't there...?

You don't mean the position vacated by someone who hasn't posted here for awhile?

Yea, has a certain someone been shipped off to Iraq or something.....

Haha Yeah I definitely wont be pulling one of those if someone gave ma an opportunity! :silent:

Still searching, but definitely sailing everyday that I can and learning as much as possible...with big hope to get an opportunity for a job in the industry! :wink: :thumbup:

Went out sailing 5 of 7 days this past week! :) :sailor: :thumbup:

Archived