Missing catamaran - keep a lookout please

DR I make a point never to get involved in a marital dispute - there are no winners. Except maybe the bird with the free cat!!! :lol: :silent:

Seriously though, I feel for ya man. (No, not you DR, the guy with the missing cat.) My ma just had a similar thing happen to her. She and the Mr parted, he was gonna buy her out and then... OH! The boat has disappeared. WTF??? My only adviceould be to invest in some beefed up security. What are those tracking devices worth? The ones that text your cellphone if your boat moves? A lot, I guess.

$140 + a sim card. Cheap as chips.

Ive just bought 3.

1 for the boat.

1 for the car

1 for the TV - Tiscos will hard wire it in for about $200.

The units are at home, but il try to remember to get the details etc tonight.

Basically the units are about half the size of a cigarette packet. You program them (via your ‘puter) and they have an inbuilt GPS unit.

The one that is going into my TV (I’ve had burglar problems) will be programmed with a latitude and longditude ‘fence’. Once the unit moves outside that ‘fence’, it will start txting your mobile with updated lat and long at frequencies you pre programme. You can them plug the lat and long into google earth or something similar to find its physical location.

One of the issues ive had is that they are powered by a recharagble battery that only lasts a few days, hence for fixed use it needs a power supply hardwired. The dudes at Tisco seem to think it’ll be straight forward. I could probably do it myself, but I don’t have the patience or time for such things.

Stay tuned.

From a crime prevention perspective these tracking units are great news. But from a personal freedom point of view they are the beginning of the end...

What do you mean personal freedom AC? I thought these units were for tracking your property? Surely your car isn't going to complain about its human rights being violated because you're tracking its every move??!

I think he's probably talking about someone else putting one in your car.

Ideally you want one that can also release a deadly untraceable poison gas once you have established it has in fact been stolen. :)

What do you mean personal freedom AC? I thought these units were for tracking your property? Surely your car isn't going to complain about its human rights being violated because you're tracking its every move??!

BB, what I mean is that it won't be long before someone will know where you are 24x7 whether you like it or not, friends, family, employers, market research cos, police, mobile phone cos, governments etc.

Yeah, although ironically in the case of insurance it has as much potential to benefit you as not. Reason being it allows true 'pay as you drive' insurance i.e. your premium is reduced whilst your car is sitting idle in the garage but increases when you drive along the highway at rush hour or hoon about the place at 160km/h. We've even got a device that sends a txt/email to the owners of the car if it exceeds a certain speed or goes into certain 'undesirable' areas (think of the kids driving dad's car).

But again depending on your perspective it's another encroachment on personal freedom. Some people might prefer to pay the full premium and not have their movements recorded even if it could reduce the cost to them.

It's not an encroachment on personal freedom until someone utilises it as such. Lots of new technology these days could potentially be used to encroach on our freedoms and privacy - but we don't blame the technology. Personally I think it's great - and a triumph that it's so accessibly cheap!

GPS microchips in children - now that's a different story...

It's not an encroachment on personal freedom until someone utilises it as such.

Agree that it's mainly a huge benefit but the point is that you can't always control (or even know) what someone else is doing with the technology.

For example it's a poorly kept secret that in the UK the British government can turn any mobile phone into a tracking or listening device. Even if it's turned off. The only way to avoid it is to remove the battery and sim card. It was originally aimed at countering hard core terrorists back in the late 80s and early 90s when mobile phones first emerged into mainstream use and nowadays anyone who knows their sh!t isn't going to fall for this. But Mr or Mrs Average never knows who might be tracking them. Not just the government but could be for coroporate espionage or a suspicous spouse or the IRD... more common than you might imagine.

Just look at the stats on Smartphones, they know where, what and how you're living.

PS: AC, I love Blog 3 but still working on what those signs mean. Knot ready to ask just yet :)

Sounds a bit conspiracy-theory-esque to me. Not that I doubt your sources of course, it may well be true. But these days it's really impossible to completely protect your privacy, so I don't think it's even worth worrying about.

Bet you still swipe your Onecard every time you shop?

Nah, I avoid all forms of loyalty card for that reason. Actually not true, I avoid them cos there's no room in my wallet cos its soooooo full of cash.

Ahem.

Just look at the stats on Smartphones, they know where, what and how you're living.

PS: AC, I love Blog 3 but still working on what those signs mean. Knot ready to ask just yet :)

Yeah some of those signs are pretty awesome aren't they!